Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Comments

• I would get the doctor to check your thyroid levels as thinning hair is a classic symptom
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello, I think this might be my first post on here ever, or at least for a very long time, but I read your diary regularly.

I remember a couple of years ago reading an interview with the singer/designer Pearl Lowe about how she had (by her own words) a bald patch, which she covered up with a hair piece and tried everything to repair. She eventually found a wonder product that restored her hair and made it grow again.

I can't remember the name of this product, but maybe if you have a search you can come across the original interview online (I think it was in the times).
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • my niece was advised by our indian GP to use coconut oil when she suffered with thinning hair. might be worth a try
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • Thank you all so much for your kind posts. In having trouble with the “quotes” so will have to answer with a couple of posts at a time.
    I sit next to someone who has thinning hair at work, I would never mention it to herunless she brought it up in conversation. I have no answers to the problem but don't let it make you feel negative and sad.

If DD is away for Christmas who will you be spending it with !?
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    I can't believe someone would be so insensitive that they would mention your hair :( Is this person perfect - I doubt it. Try to ignore the negative comments and focus on the positives in your life xx
    I also can't believe how insensitive someone has been to mention your hair.

What style hair do you have?
    I always think a shorter style does not show up the thinning quite so much as you can see bits of the scalp all over rather than in one place.

What colour hair do you have? I'm wondering if a hair colour which is not too far away from your own skin colour would work? I'm thinking of light skinned people having very black hair, it's always obvious if they start thinning on top but if they have a lighter brown or even blonde it would not be as obvious.

Have you spoken to your hairdresser about this? Maybe she/he could recommend some styles which would suit your hair type.

The person who commented is the type who makes a big thing of being the sort of person that “speaks my mind” but never comes out with anything constructive or helpful. I don’t usually have much to do with her and shan’t in the future in case I end up telling her a few home truths.

My hairdresser is aware of the problem EE. I’ve been going to him for years and he’s always helpful with his suggestions. Of course there’s nothing much he can do to make it grow! I’ve always had fine straight hair but had lots of it pre-menopause. It began thinning a bit after I finished the menopause but seems to have really started in the last couple of years. My hair currently is just on my shoulders - I’ve never liked short hair on me - it really doesn’t suit me - I used to have a fringe but that started to look thin so my hairdresser suggested to grow it out and have a side parting - which actually looks a lot better - female equivalent of comb-over I suppose. :)
    My hair is naturally dark brown but I’ve had highlights and lowlights for years so it doesn’t look too dark against the skin on my head until it starts to grow out.

Cumbria - I’ll be spending Christmas and Boxing Day with DSis and her family so I won’t be alone. Actually we always spend it there as it’s very roomy at her house - DD and OH drive down from the North.

I’ll be back in a mo to answer the other posters!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sayschezza wrote: »
    I would get the doctor to check your thyroid levels as thinning hair is a classic symptom

Hi chezza. Ive been on medication for an under active thyroid for a couple of years now. I have my levels checked regularly and apparently am on the correct dosage.
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Hello, I think this might be my first post on here ever, or at least for a very long time, but I read your diary regularly.

I remember a couple of years ago reading an interview with the singer/designer Pearl Lowe about how she had (by her own words) a bald patch, which she covered up with a hair piece and tried everything to repair. She eventually found a wonder product that restored her hair and made it grow again.

I can't remember the name of this product, but maybe if you have a search you can come across the original interview online (I think it was in the times).

Thanks so much Florence. I went and googled Pearl Lowe straightaway!:). She appears to have suffered an under active thyroid as well so went onto medication which she said made her feel a lot better in herself but didn’t address her hairproblem. However the product that she was advised to use was a supplement called Viviscal which she said eventually turned the problem around. I’ve checked and you can buy it at Boots so I’m going to get a three month supply and try it out. The reviews seem more in favour than against and I’m willing to give it a go as I’ve tried most things now.
    my niece was advised by our indian GP to use coconut oil when she suffered with thinning hair. might be worth a try

Was it a coconut shampoo he suggested inod or more of a lotion you would apply to the scalp?

Thanks again everyone for your comments. Thinning hair seems such a vain thing to moan about when so many people have real health problems to worry about but I think as a woman it really brings your confidence levels down.:(

I’ll post later on my money staff!:D
    🌟
  • So last night I was absolutely washed out and went to bed as soon as I had dinner. Woke up this morning at 10am and slept right through!:eek:

Today I haven’t been out - it looked pretty cold out there. I did my monthly Tesco Shop. Also ordered the 6 bottles of Finest Prosecco with 25% off. Ended up £6 per bottle - so that’s a bottle each as pressies for four pals, the girl who does my nails and - oh - me!:D. Also bought two nice bottles of red for my hairdresser and lad in work who helps out boss while I’m away - had Tesco coupons worth £8.50 so have taken this off the cost of these.

Will finish the last of the pressies this week.

As the new pay month has began was checking the calendar - have got a day out Wednesday with DD, DSis and her OH. This was a Xmas pressie last year from DD so all paid for apart from taxi home from Station which wel’ll all chip in with. Next weekend DD and I are at Stratford. All paid for apart from meals out. Weekend after I’m at DD’s but train ticket bought already. I’ve also got a couple of things pencilled in with friends but nothing been booked yet.

Tomorrow I’ll pop out for some fresh air! Also got my Pilates lesson.

DD not long texted - they’re up in the Peak District and apparently it snowed! Wonder if it will reach Seasideville tonight.:)
    🌟
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have often found that the people who make a big deal out of 'telling it like it is' are more often then not just making excuses as to why they are so awful.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Snow not far from us today , looks nice but causes to much chaos. I'm off to bed soon , it's nice and warm in my bed .

You have had some good replies for things for you to try for your hair. Plus as you say don't have anything to do with the woman.
  • Good evening

I don't often post on your thread but I thought I would say hello.

My opinion on the "tell how it is" person is to stay on the moral high ground. Smile, think silly thoughts and move on. Don't give her the satisfaction of a reaction.

After you mentioned Stratford, I had to Google the next productions. I really would like to see Christopher Eccleston in Macbeth. Perhaps that can go on my things to achieve list.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before

• Was it a coconut shampoo he suggested inod or more of a lotion you would apply to the scalp?

Thanks again everyone for your comments. Thinning hair seems such a vain thing to moan about when so many people have real health problems to worry about but I think as a woman it really brings your confidence levels down.:(

I expect the coconut oil will be the stuff you cook with/bathe in/moisturise with - you usually buy it in tubs and it looks really thick but is actually very malleable once it's got the heat of your hands.

Most places sell it now but at various prices - http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product-group/coconut-oil/

I agree with you Seaside that some people have other health worries which may seem worse than your hair issue but at the end of the day it's how you feel about it that matters.
    And what I love about MSE is there is always someone who has experienced the same or known someone who has and everyone is always happy to share their wisdom.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback