Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Sorry to hear you haven't got the outcome you wanted with the call yet, it is amazing how much time these things seem to take, I thought we were supposed to be in the digital age, doesn't always feel like it.

Good idea to list all the good things, and having chocolate that makes everything better.

Great news about the surveys , it all helps.

Reb
  • Your final creditor appears to be the king of tardiness in a land of tardy creditors! Still you are right to feel positive in that you've waited ages to be debt free and will get this last debt finally sorted quite soon.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Thank you Essex, Reb and SSG. You're definitely making me feel better :)

Today has been quite productive work wise tying up lose ends plus doing five surveys :D

I suddenly realised it was my aunt's birthday today :eek: but I've got myself organised with a 'card kit' recently.

I am normally completely useless at posting cards on time to my many relatives. Partly because of all the stages involved; buy the card, write in it, write the address on, buy a stamp and finally get it to a post box.

So to solve my problem I bought a see through box, a selection of cheapish cards and a book of first class and second class stamps. I even keep a pen in the box. This makes the process much easier and then the only hard bit is walking up the hill to the post box ( everything in Devon is either up or down a hill :eek:)

So the card got posted and will hopefully arrive only one day late and my survey money is growing :)

DS3 missed the bus again. I asked DH to get milk on the way back from dropping him off and he came back with milk, French stick and chocolate! So our spends today were £4 in Morrison's and £5 for bus fares ( DS3 still had to get home :o).

Feeling shattered now so I'm looking forward to eating and then being a tv zombie :).

Hope everyone's had a great day today.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The card box is an excellent idea Hairy! I usually make sure I have a book of stamps in my purse and have a check on the calendar at the beginning of each month to see whose birthday is coming up and then buy however many I need for the month.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I buy a lot of charity birthday cards which are very often reduced:o
    I get stamps from doing surveys so that is very handy.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Having a system certainly helps to get things organised.

I also booked myself a £5 hair cut at the hairdressing college as I finally found their phone number. I suddenly realised that I hadn't had my hair cut for six months and my hair is a bit of a frizzy mess :eek: Last time I went the supervisor did half of my hair as the trainee had never done layers on wavy hair before, good value for a fiver I thought :D
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I have a wet cut locally.
    Not done since June when DS graduated :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • The time goes so quickly :eek:
  • Morning, how infuriating to get so close to the finishing line and have to wait because of someone's incompetency. Grrr......
    The card box is a great idea, gonna look into that, thanks.
    Debt 04/11/22 - £0.00
    Emergency Fund Goal - £1000/£106.89
    Living Fund 1 Year - £2520/£640
    Travel Pot - £2000/£350
    Regular Saving Fund £4800/£400
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:22AM
    Today is my big Tesco shop and I'm aiming for a spend of £74. I must be ruthless this time and put more things back if it starts to go over. I'm sure we all eat too much anyway :o.

DS3 has suddenly revealed that the free college bus stops at half term, so it will now cost us £12 a week to get him to college, which is £48 every four weeks :eek: so I need to adjust my budget accordingly. We can't claim any child benefit or any other benefits for him because he is 20 :(.

Oh well, at least he is going to college, so the money must be found. It's just as well I've given up cokes :o.

Apart from that the schedule is A short walk and more work.

Have a good Wednesday everyone :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure