Can i get fee back

We had an offer of a mortgage from Santander, we paid £995 fee. But the house was valued at less than asking price. Due to poor communication and 5 weeks later we have lost the house and want to change lender to try again. Can we have a fee refund. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    You should have received a quote/illustration.
    There will be a section relating to fees, what does it say there?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    groningen wrote: »
    We had an offer of a mortgage from Santander, we paid £995 fee. But the house was valued at less than asking price.

Then you didn't have a formal mortgage offer. An offer is only made once the property is valued.

Have you asked Santander if they'll refund?
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    I would be surprised if you get your money back, as it sounds like you are pulling out of your own accord.

If your application had been declined, due to affordability etc than you would usually get your upfront fee back, but as it appears you proceeded even with the down value, I don't believe Santander would refund you....
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:03PM
    Santander will only refund the product post valuation if:-

The valuer considers the property unsuitable security.

The valuer down values the property and as a result you need to change the product.

If sounds like you have decided not to progress so they won’t refund. One of the issues when using Santander. The trick is to add to the loan on completion.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yep.

Choose 'add to the loan' then you have upto fourteen days after completion to pay it off without being charged any interest.

These are the little things brokers know which make us invaluable.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure