Injured at work??? Advice

Ok bare with me Its a long one and I don't know where to start.

So I was at work Wednesday gone, started shiifts a general labourer with another lad on a busy site.

We were tasked to lift to packs of plaster board varying from 32kg to 44kg up a set narrow scaffold bending staires case with 2 flights staires.

There is 3 floors, ground where we started, the middle floor, and a floor above.

Now then I mention the layout due to there being a loading bay on from the warehouse storage area to the above floor, we needed to be the middle floor. Now, this floor has one straight corridor and at the end is one single stair case with about 12 straight stairs down onto where we needed to load the boards.

Anyways work started we started lifting the boards up these stairs with difficulty 2 man job. the boards would catch the scaffold, and the top staires and would wedge up against the sides.

This is how my injury happened, the scaffold stairs case had a scaffold hand rail, now the hand rails had brackets holding scaffold together, this, in turn, had bolts sticking out, some were capped and some not and I caught just to the corner of my eye with the bolt and as I was wedged to get out and caused some minor cuts/scrapes.

Now on the way back to see my supervisor to tell him what had happened as the site had signed up all over stating to report an incident no matter how big or small, we stopped to see the banks man.
we explained to the bank's man instead loading up the board trolleys and navigations through a massive building with a board trolley full heavy boards to lift up stairs, would he get the forklift driver to lift them up to the loading bay from where the boards are stored.

He agreed its a much more faster safer solution and told us to ok it with our supervisor, I explained i was already on way to see him as I had jut hurt my self and on we went.

Got to the supervisor I explained that I had hurt my eye and could see it was scraped and all read and cut, he basically laughed it off, never offered me to see the first aider or to record it in the "ACCIDENT BOOK"(ill get to that). and told us to be on our way and carry on.

So we went back to lifting and the worker I was with fell up the stairs i was trying to stead the board for the turn, inturn him hurting his self-falling and pulling his back, and inturn causing me to fall taking the brunt of the board as I could not see him due to the narrow stairs and the size of the board.

I fell onto the stairs hurt my back and the board came crashing to my chest and groin area. So now we !!!!ed at this point and go to find this accidnet book our selfes, which took us just over a hour to find someone to print a accident sheet off. Then in comes our supervisor acting all caring now and ushered us out the office trying to make us to forget to fill it in like we asked.

We went out side and spoke witht he supervisor telling him it was not a safe option, we had offered him a safer faster all round option and he basicaly told us to get back on with it, we refuised, again offered no first aid or mention of this said accidernt book.

So we went back to the office found the man who was about to fill it in and got it filled in now it seemed like he was not to pleased nd seemed to be missing vital information we were telling him.

anyways we got photos of him filling it in incase just like the accidernt book it has a accident.

Then off we went to seek medical attention, we went to hospital i had to have a exray on my eye, and had to go back 2 days lter due to my back and neck really hurting and been refere to see a physiodoc.

Now heres something we tried to lift a board up the staires 1 week prior and were quickly told to put it down as HSE was on site, now what does that tell you in its self.

as we left site i text the supervisor advicing him we were off to seek medical attention as he had not done, and within the hour our jobs were advertised so now out of a job too :(

Im thinking of claiming do you think i have grounds of a claim??

well that was my week guys how was yours lol

Feel free to ask me anything as i may have missed stuff

Comments

• No_Way
    No_Way Posts: 5 Forumite
    forgot to mention got pictures of what injurred me the area we were working int he staires, the staires above and the boards etc etc got alot evidance
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No_Way wrote: »
    Ok bare with me Its a long one and I don't know where to start.

So I was at work Wednesday gone, started shiifts a general labourer with another lad on a busy site.

We were tasked to lift to packs of plaster board varying from 32kg to 44kg up a set narrow scaffold bending staires case with 2 flights staires.

There is 3 floors, ground where we started, the middle floor, and a floor above.

Now then I mention the layout due to there being a loading bay on from the warehouse storage area to the above floor, we needed to be the middle floor. Now, this floor has one straight corridor and at the end is one single stair case with about 12 straight stairs down onto where we needed to load the boards.

Anyways work started we started lifting the boards up these stairs with difficulty 2 man job. the boards would catch the scaffold, and the top staires and would wedge up against the sides.

This is how my injury happened, the scaffold stairs case had a scaffold hand rail, now the hand rails had brackets holding scaffold together, this, in turn, had bolts sticking out, some were capped and some not and I caught just to the corner of my eye with the bolt and as I was wedged to get out and caused some minor cuts/scrapes.

Now on the way back to see my supervisor to tell him what had happened as the site had signed up all over stating to report an incident no matter how big or small, we stopped to see the banks man.
    we explained to the bank's man instead loading up the board trolleys and navigations through a massive building with a board trolley full heavy boards to lift up stairs, would he get the forklift driver to lift them up to the loading bay from where the boards are stored.

He agreed its a much more faster safer solution and told us to ok it with our supervisor, I explained i was already on way to see him as I had jut hurt my self and on we went.

Got to the supervisor I explained that I had hurt my eye and could see it was scraped and all read and cut, he basically laughed it off, never offered me to see the first aider or to record it in the "ACCIDENT BOOK"(ill get to that). and told us to be on our way and carry on.

So we went back to lifting and the worker I was with fell up the stairs i was trying to stead the board for the turn, inturn him hurting his self-falling and pulling his back, and inturn causing me to fall taking the brunt of the board as I could not see him due to the narrow stairs and the size of the board.

I fell onto the stairs hurt my back and the board came crashing to my chest and groin area. So now we !!!!ed at this point and go to find this accidnet book our selfes, which took us just over a hour to find someone to print a accident sheet off. Then in comes our supervisor acting all caring now and ushered us out the office trying to make us to forget to fill it in like we asked.

We went out side and spoke witht he supervisor telling him it was not a safe option, we had offered him a safer faster all round option and he basicaly told us to get back on with it, we refuised, again offered no first aid or mention of this said accidernt book.

So we went back to the office found the man who was about to fill it in and got it filled in now it seemed like he was not to pleased nd seemed to be missing vital information we were telling him.

anyways we got photos of him filling it in incase just like the accidernt book it has a accident.

Then off we went to seek medical attention, we went to hospital i had to have a exray on my eye, and had to go back 2 days lter due to my back and neck really hurting and been refere to see a physiodoc.

Now heres something we tried to lift a board up the staires 1 week prior and were quickly told to put it down as HSE was on site, now what does that tell you in its self.

as we left site i text the supervisor advicing him we were off to seek medical attention as he had not done, and within the hour our jobs were advertised so now out of a job too :(

Im thinking of claiming do you think i have grounds of a claim??

well that was my week guys how was yours lol

Feel free to ask me anything as i may have missed stuff

Were you an employee or self employed?

What risk assessment did you do before taking on the task?

Who are you planning on suing?

Why did you carry plasterboard up a stair case 1 week after being told not to?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • No_Way
    WE were emplyed through agency.
    Risk assement should be carried out by supervisor who tasked us knowing fine well was not safe.
    The company/agency its self
    Because we were told to do so by the boss and supervisor, they expected it up there with int he hour 2 packs plasterboard.
    we werent told not to a week prior we were told to put it down as HSE was on site but when they were left we were left to do so.
  • No_Way
    We are general labourers and tasked to get stuff inplace for builders, they were behind and was asked to do as i have explained, my boss/supervisor should carried risk assesment out
  • Sounds like your typical site mate...should have asked Forkie to sling a few packs up for you.

Have words with Agency and see what they offer...if all else fails contact site and make them aware you intend taking the matter up with HSE.

Thats why as a Telehandler i refuse to get out of the Cab and help..can soon get hurt/laid up and no money.
  • Did you not read the part where we asked the banksmanwho walks about with the forklift driver?
    he said to get supervisor to ok it and they would, as the supervisor had told them to get a pack around the front before we got in for us to lift up
  • No_Way wrote: »
    Did you not read the part where we asked the banksmanwho walks about with the forklift driver?
    he said to get supervisor to ok it and they would, as the supervisor had told them to get a pack around the front before we got in for us to lift up
    to be fair I'm impressed anyones read it all.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I lost the will to live. Get a lawyer.
  • No_Way wrote: »
    Did you not read the part where we asked the banksmanwho walks about with the forklift driver?

The Banks-man doesn't walk about,he makes sure idiots dont walk behind us or slings loads ect depending on what needs doing.

You quite obviously didnt bother reading where i said should have asked Forkie to sling a few packs up for you...if i meant banks-man id have said banks-man.

No you dont ask him you ask the forkie...forkie is in charge of the lifts.

But hey ive only been in the game 20 odd years so what do i know.
  • James1968
    James1968 Posts: 171
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Might be worth whistleblowing to HSE about what happened.

The site manager appears to have a lax attitude to safety. You accident should have been logged in the accident book by the first aider. As you needed further treatment, the supervisor should have reported it to HSE under RIDDOR. I bet they have not done this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure