Paying off loan with Credit card - help please

Hello, First time poster - apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm looking at getting a credit card to pay off the rest of a high interest loan. I have been pre approved by MBNA but i am worried the credit limit wont be high enough and it will affect my credit score. i'm looking to get a mortgage after it is paid off so the credit score is a bit worrying having an open card. What limit can i expect? Im 22 and earn just under 22k if that helps. My credit score is classed as Good/bordeline excellent on Experian, Low good on Clearscore and medium good on Noddle.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions on what to do or the best cards etc.

Thankyou :)

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 October 2018 at 5:07PM
    Hi Tim1011 and welcome to the forum :)

Make sure you are applying for a money transfer card (with a 0% promotion plus fees) if you want to use it to pay off the loan.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/

Edit: And ignore your credit scores. Lenders neither see it or use it. A lender scores you against their independent criteria and policies using the data held in your credit file, added to the data you submit in an application for credit.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • You need a Money Transfer card to pay a loan - not a purchase or balance transfer card.

No one knows what limit you get until you apply.

How soon are you looking to apply for a mortgage?

Ignore you score/rating as it's made up.
  • If you aren't looking to get a mortgage until after you've cleared the debt (which you have suggested) then I suspect having an empty CC at that point will not be too much of a hindrance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure