Pension or debt?

Options
Hi,
Looking for some opinions.
I’m 35 and have been a stay at home parent (and at college) for 4 years. During this time, having to rely solely on my husband’s income, we’ve accrued about £10k of debt. The repayments are manageable and on a zero or low interest rate until June next year when our current mortgage rate also comes to an end.
My youngest is off to school and I’ve just applied for a quite well paid job. I have a LGPS pension pot of around £22k from past employment with no intention of returning to local government employment. Considering whether, if I’m successful in my application, to take out the money and use it to clear the debt then reinvesting the remainder. I know having this debt is going to significantly impact on our mortgage options at renewal despite having around 60% equity on our home.
Lots of things to consider such as the final figures etc but as it is the lump sum would be more useful now than the pitiful amount it equates to as an annual sum on retirement. The new company has its own pension scheme I would be paying into plus paying what I’d be using to clear the credit cards to pay into a private pension.
Any thoughts please?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Considering whether, if I!!!8217;m successful in my application, to take out the money and use it to clear the debt then reinvesting the remainder.
    You cannot access the money at age 35.
    but as it is the lump sum would be more useful now than the pitiful amount it equates to as an annual sum on retirement.

I doubt it will be pitiful.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kitkatt1982
    kitkatt1982 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thankyou :-) I guess that!!!8217;s solved that dilemma then! It seems I!!!8217;ve been wrongly advised as was told I can take the money as I!!!8217;m no longer employed by them or does that only apply to transferring it to another pension? I!!!8217;m quite ashamedly naïve about pensions. I don!!!8217;t have the paperwork to hand but the forecast was pretty low.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You may be able to transfer your benefits to another pension scheme (although note that the fact that you can doesn't mean that you should) but you still won't be able to access them before (currently) 55.

Your LGPS benefits won't stagnate if you choose to leave them there - your pension will increase in line with inflation each year.
  • kitkatt1982
    kitkatt1982 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, seems I had misinterpreted the advice I was given. Also just discovered the new company pay into the same scheme despite not being LG so everything crossed I get the job :-)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't have the paperwork to hand but the forecast was pretty low.

There's no such thing a free lunch. You'll only benefit if you pay in over your entire working life. To whatever scheme your employer offers.
  • CityOwl
    CityOwl Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, seems I had misinterpreted the advice I was given. Also just discovered the new company pay into the same scheme despite not being LG so everything crossed I get the job :-)
    I know that it must be disappointing to learn that you cannot access your pension until the age of 55, but it is a blessing in disguise. You will be pleasantly surprised what a difference a second salary makes, especially if you have been managing on one salary for a long period of time.

I was a stay at home mum for 5 years and, although my husband earned a good salary, we only really started to save once I returned to part-time employment. It felt like we had won the lottery every month, not the jackpot but one of the smaller prizes.

Really pleased to hear that you will be joining a decent pension scheme if you get the job, Good luck :)
  • thickasabrick
    Options
    Earliest you can access your pension is 55.

Please get rid of the debt as quickly as possible with your additional income.

This article on Monevator has a way of explaining debt that really struck a cord with me.
    http://monevator.com/why-you-must-get-out-and-stay-out-of-debt/

Mr Money Mustache has a very different way of describing debt which, whilst a bit alarmist, is nevertheless very worthwhile reading.
    https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/

Good luck with the job application.

Hi,
    Looking for some opinions.
    I’m 35 and have been a stay at home parent (and at college) for 4 years. During this time, having to rely solely on my husband’s income, we’ve accrued about £10k of debt. The repayments are manageable and on a zero or low interest rate until June next year when our current mortgage rate also comes to an end.
    My youngest is off to school and I’ve just applied for a quite well paid job. I have a LGPS pension pot of around £22k from past employment with no intention of returning to local government employment. Considering whether, if I’m successful in my application, to take out the money and use it to clear the debt then reinvesting the remainder. I know having this debt is going to significantly impact on our mortgage options at renewal despite having around 60% equity on our home.
    Lots of things to consider such as the final figures etc but as it is the lump sum would be more useful now than the pitiful amount it equates to as an annual sum on retirement. The new company has its own pension scheme I would be paying into plus paying what I’d be using to clear the credit cards to pay into a private pension.
    Any thoughts please?
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the new employer's scheme is also LGPS then you might be able to combine it with your current deferred pension which may well boost what it pays out at retirement.

If you link the previous n years of service to a much higher (current) salary you get a larger actual pension.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

If you have been told you could access the money at 35, neon warning lights should be flashing! You can access it before 55 by transferring it to a personal pension and hooking the loot out of that, but (unless you are doing so on grounds of ill health) it will be classed as something called an 'unauthorised payment'. You will pay a swingeing tax charge and the people helpfully giving you this marvellous opportunity to liberate your pension will take a very large chunk in fees.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So f you arent used to having this salary, should you get the job- join the pension, pay off the debt, and save an emergency pot (so you dont go back into debt).

Should be easily doable to split your pay into 3 and do this. Proritise the debt over emergency cash at first, but so start it in case something comes up/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure