Fire and Forget, or Tracked All The Way

Options

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Daily on the way up. On the way down I find my time more usefully spent kicking the cat.

Edit. Sorry Murphy no disrespect intended.

Ouch, that hurt:o
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    In the evening I look at the dollar exchange rate first, then the FTSE100 result (don't worry I am not excessively UK heavy but it gives a feel on the movements to expect), then my ETF valuations.
    Alex

I find the BBC Global results helpful .
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I log in at the end of every month, and record the valuations, usually some up and some down.
    If I log in during the month to check on dividend payments, I don't even look at the valuations.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2018 at 7:36PM
    Options
    I tend to login daily to check my ISA, in which I have two funds. I need to stop doing it because I keep messing about with the monthly savings plan! I've decided I need to build a higher cash holding at the moment so I am trying to find the middle ground having substantially reduced my ISA monthly savings recently. Not because I am worried about the market, but because I have some house maintenance to pay for and I want to build up a cash buffer for when I hit retirement (based on recommendations for drawdown when markets are low etc.)

Up until a few years ago I would only know how my AVC was doing from annual paper statements, and I would either be pleasantly surprised or disappointed on one day of the year! But nowadays it's available online and I check it more regularly, I think that's not good, as I will always keep plodding away into my funds no matter what, so checking both regularly is a waste of time for me when I could be doing something more productive with my time.

I'm even more inclined to check my retirement spreadsheet more often for my future plans as it helps me dream a little! :-)

In there I have a column of expected balances for my ISA and my AVC on my birth month for future years; for example I know what I should expect given estimated growth rates, charges etc. on each successive birthday going forward. I have a projected target balance for retirement year for my ISA and my AVC (which will become a SIPP at some point). If the real-life balances on my birthday are less than my projected balances I could top-up by making a lump sum payment on top of my monthly drip feed...because units would be cheaper than expected, bargain! If the real-life balances are higher, then bonus and I keep going, again bargain!

I just need to stop checking so regularly and trust in capitalism.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At the end of every month as standard, but I'll sometimes take a peek in between too.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    What size portfolios are we all looking at:

Tiny < £10k
    Small <£100k
    Medium <£500k
    Large <£1m
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

Tiny < £10k
    Small <£100k
    Medium <£500k
    Large <£1m

Looks like 4 but I'm no optometrist
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »

Tiny < £10k
    Small <£100k
    Medium <£500k
    Large <£1m

Surely these are all Tiny: it starts to be Small once it is into seven figures...
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    Options
    I check and record the values of all of my accounts monthly as standard. Some months that!!!8217;s the only time I look. Other months I might check an additional couple of times in response to news about markets falling/rising or whatever. Occasionally I check just to pass some time at work. But more often than not it!!!8217;s just once per month.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    I check general market movements most days but only look at the impact on my portfolio approx. weekly. The former exercise ensures that I don't suffer peep-and-shock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure