Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Maman, I think I've already addressed the business problem in my post to Chev. As for my parents, they keep reminding me that I wouldn't be in the position I am without their hard work. I am looking after their BTLs but they see that as a hand out because I haven't achieved anything myself.

Hiddenshadow, the reality is that the car won't be kept. Yes, I made some stupid comments about potentially keeping it but I won't, being stuck in the house has made me realise the work needs to be done, especially the roof. To be honest, I wish I'd never mentioned the thing in the first place now.

HBS, thanks. :) I think you've kept me from spending money on rather unwise purchases in the past. ;)

I try to do my best for my son.

As for the Elf ... tonight he's eaten one of the Christmas biscuits we've made for school (made and decorated cupcakes and biscuits for each pupil, son's two teachers and teaching assistant because we've not done Christmas cards). Luckily, Elf has made a replacement. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Love the naughty elf :rotfl:

Now I won't nag too much but when I said about new challenges I meant smaller easier to meet ones. Ie. When I was fed up and couldn't make any op's I made a point of making a payment a day , some days a £1 but always a minimum of 10p. Not much difference to the mortgage balance but still a sense of satisfaction.

It could be trying a new cooking dish a week if you are having a bad week and not able.to.go out much, anything really , but going through the motions of committing to sticking at something and enjoying doing it. Then when you feel a bit better you can set bigger challenges - or write that bucket list :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    As for the Elf ... tonight he's eaten one of the Christmas biscuits we've made for school (made and decorated cupcakes and biscuits for each pupil, son's two teachers and teaching assistant because we've not done Christmas cards). Luckily, Elf has made a replacement. ;)
    :eek:

If you've never read Horrid Henry to/with LittleK then you must. He's like the Christmas elf but all year round.
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah sweetheart wish I could give you a hug, I read so much between the lines of your posts.
    If your diary is self help rather than financial freedom so be it.
    My husband has complex PTSD and you sound so like him x
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Aww, glad to have helped!

If this is a self-help diary, so be it. Maybe we'll be more help than your expensive counsellor, and we're free to boot :D

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • SueP19
    Options
    Aww, glad to have helped!

If this is a self-help diary, so be it. Maybe we'll be more help than your expensive counsellor, and we're free to boot :D

HBS x

Yeah who needs to pay for it when you have us :A

Bet we have every illness/drama/situation covered
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    SueP19 wrote: »
    Yeah who needs to pay for it when you have us :A

Bet we have every illness/drama/situation covered

See Alex, you are MSE - free counselling with a bit of extra tough love as a bonus now and again :rotfl:

(But we do really want to help. None of us wants to see you slide back when you have come so far - and you HAVE.)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Love the naughty elf :rotfl:

Now I won't nag too much but when I said about new challenges I meant smaller easier to meet ones. Ie. When I was fed up and couldn't make any op's I made a point of making a payment a day , some days a £1 but always a minimum of 10p. Not much difference to the mortgage balance but still a sense of satisfaction.

It could be trying a new cooking dish a week if you are having a bad week and not able.to.go out much, anything really , but going through the motions of committing to sticking at something and enjoying doing it. Then when you feel a bit better you can set bigger challenges - or write that bucket list :D

I hadn't realised you meant some small challenges. :) I think the £1 per day overpayment would be good for me, certainly a target I can meet and will get me in the habit of checking the accounts online, thanks.

You've inspired me to write down 40 things to do in 2016 as you've done this year. I want to make all the "challenges" simple and things that don't seem like mountains to climb but also fun. Hopefully I'll include a few MSE challenges, though I don't think I'm going to make my savings target so high, I've felt under pressure all year to achieve that and feel sick just thinking about it some days.
    maman wrote: »
    :eek:

If you've never read Horrid Henry to/with LittleK then you must. He's like the Christmas elf but all year round.

Not read any Horrid Henry yet but there is a Horrid Henry bookset ready to be wrapped for Christmas. Hopefully he'll enjoy them, he loves the Elf. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sue / HBS, thanks. :)

I'm trying to get back on track. Wife and I had a long discussion about how to make 2016 better, so hopefully she will stick to her word and so will I.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • SueP19
    Options
    Sue / HBS, thanks. :)

I'm trying to get back on track. Wife and I had a long discussion about how to make 2016 better, so hopefully she will stick to her word and so will I.

It's all we can do............try
    I hadn't realised you meant some small challenges. :) I think the £1 per day overpayment would be good for me, certainly a target I can meet and will get me in the habit of checking the accounts online, thanks.

You've inspired me to write down 40 things to do in 2016 as you've done this year. I want to make all the "challenges" simple and things that don't seem like mountains to climb but also fun. Hopefully I'll include a few MSE challenges, though I don't think I'm going to make my savings target so high, I've felt under pressure all year to achieve that and feel sick just thinking about it some days.

£1 a day is £365 a year :T

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure