PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to lower the bust apex on every pattern. I don't think I was ever as perky as the pattern even in my 20s!!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:04AM
    Options
    yay. I am wearing one of my sets made last year, I made 5 tops and 5 skirts, all mix and match. They were all the same make/type of fabric ie a good linen content but some cotton so they don`t crease too much. Since I made them I lost everything on my old computer so have no bookmarked sewing file any more, I am very grateful to have recorded all my fabrics in a little book upsatairs so could find out what they are. It isn`t like looking for a label in a garment

It feels good on me, first time for wearing and yes it takes a couple of wears to get used to a hm garment

I have stayed away from sewing for quite some time, sewing faster than I can wear out. I can see that the next things to be made will be simple panties, they are are wonderful and so much better than sloggis, even the newest sloggies are getting that thin look. They are a good easy and simple money saver tbh

CZ, I did clock your post but am not the right person to ask. I have a mountain of fabric stash and all good quality, most were pretty expensive but not nearly as expensive as getting good quality ready made garments

I reckon the cheapest one I use and rate are these, always good quality. I have had fabrics from them since the 70s
    https://www.croftmill.co.uk/

I was and am, addicted to good fabrics, my stash is more than twice my height
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:30AM
    Options
    I've been meaning to update on here. I finished the blouse I was making, New Look 6471, but I'm not really happy with it. I took my time over it and even overlocked all the raw edges before sewing it up, but it's the pattern itself that I don't like. I wish they'd choose a photo that actually shows the garment, not the model's hair! When I finished, the neck tie left quite a wide opening, and I've had to add a popper to close it.

When I found some online reviews I noticed someone else mentioned this. It's useable, and the fabric was free so I'll mark it down to experience. Lots of sewing plans, but I've been spending all my free time in the garden of late. Glad to hear your knickers were worthwhile Kittie, that's still on my list to make.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I haven't started sewing yet, but yesterday I got all (most?) of my personal stash of knits into one cupboard and colour coded to a degree. I have got rid of loads of patterns, saving the best to go on ebay. So then I got the three boxes and enormous bag of fabric into the space. I can now access a cupboard that was a bit difficult to get to.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Matt_Jones
    Matt_Jones Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm a tad stuck for ideas of where to get some helpful advice on this. I want to buy my mum a new overlocker for her birthday next month as she's been dropping some not so subtle hints about needing a new one for a while now but I'm not really sure what to get her or what represents good value for money.

I found this site which has a broad range of seemingly good overlockers which would be in my price range but not sure which of them are best. Any suggestions?
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Matt, what a brilliant idea for a present. Depends on your budget of course. I rate this company a lot, they only sell good items
    https://www.gursewingmachines.com/overlockers

ring them up and have a chat, I did exactly that when I was dithering about which sewing machine to buy for a grandaughter

A controllable foot is very important, so she can go slower if needed. I know they like jaguar and I certainly like the features of jaguar, which is the make I would personally go for
  • Matt_Jones
    Matt_Jones Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply kittie. Will check them out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you are welcome Matt, lucky mum, thoughtful son

For the sowing brigade, I want to recommend robert kaufman essex linen. It is a delight to wear in this progressive heat, very cool and hardly creases, just a little, enough to let people know it is linen based. The creases drop overnight when hung. Skirts and tops were very quick to make, whizzing with the overlocker and straight stitching sleeve hems. Lovely to put on. The tops are loose fit, cannot remember the pattern, no zip and half loose sleeves
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback