Have you set up your Personal Tax Account?

Options
How many people here have signed up for the Personal tax account online?

This will give you the opportunity to make/request adjustments to your tax code online, check/adjust your estimated income, review previous tax calculations, update medical insurance and company cars, request repayments, print out employment history/pay and tax details, check national insurance contribution details, review your self assessment record, view your state pension forecast, pay underpaid tax, update your tax credits claim and submit tax credit renewals, apply for and check pension contribution lifetime allowance, submit forms online to claim refunds, expenses, tax refunds from pension lump sums, tax refunds from investment income and lots more.

Available 24/7. No queues waiting to speak to someone, updates/forms processed within 5 working days. Ability to track submissions progress.

Go to gov.uk and search for Personal Tax Account

For those who have already, do you use it? If not is there any reason why?

For those who have not, is there a reason why?
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2018 at 11:41PM
    Options
    Yes I have it, yes I use it.

Seems a little odd though, I updated my account to reflect PMI and the tax code that generated, and that is still showing on my account, is different to the one actually supplied to payroll....

It;s quite handy if you need to understand changes to your tax code, or just check pension years for SP etc.

I like it but it;s not exactly comething I need to access weekly or even monthly. I;ve been on 2/3 time so far I think.

ETA. I can;t see where you can do all the pension activities you;ve listed, aside from checking state pension..... I;ve just logged on to check.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anything which removes the need to speak to the low calibre staff who work for HMRC these days is well worth the effort of signing up for - if you believe that HMRC can implement computer systems that work (jury still out on that verdict)
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Yes its a good additional service, I have encouraged my kids to set one up too son s they can keep on top of claiming tax back and ensuring employers are paying due NI etc.

Updated my Wife tax code too yesterday, simple and efficient.

Echo comments on 'not having to contact HMRC staff, who always sound bored and fed up !
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    easy to use, no issues with it, the self assessment also simple to use,
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm looking forward to using it, but (as per usual with HMRC), they've not yet given access for agents/accountants, so I'm stuck with writing/phoning or using the few online forms for my clients until they give access to agents. Heaven knows why HMRC thought it was good to give the taxpayer access but completely ignored the taxpayers who use agents! Hey-ho.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used it to question my tax code a couple of times. Also to let them know their estimate of my interest income was overstated.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have set it up and I have used it (primarily to look at my NI contributions record). Is there an intention to expand the things that can be done in the future?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Be nice to have a total figure of tax you have paid in your working life. Nice to know where your salary has gone or mostly
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it still limited to British nationals only? I remember my EU friend was unable to sign up to this about a year ago unlike online Personal Assessment, etc.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't think of any reason I should. Although now they have stopped me doing self assessment, for some obscure known only to themselves reason, I may well find the need to when my current year's tax bill is totally messed up. Which I fully expect as a way of forcing me to do it. Paranoid me! Never!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure