Hard For Self-Employed Author To Get A Loan

Options

Comments

• Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I have thought about moving, but the question is, where to go (apart from London) in order to find plenty of admin jobs (that is my particular field), and finding a place that does not charge high rents. Never easy, of course.

I was surprised by one reply that claimed I would be better off on benefits. Is that really so? I mean, if I jacked in my writing business, I would only get Jobseeker's Allowance, wouldn't I? Is that still around £70 pwk? Also, as I live with a parent at the moment (and she is responsible for the rent etc.), what other help could I possibly be entitled to apart from the bare JSA?
  • Truegho
    Options
    Yes. State benefits would give you more to live on than this, even at the lowest rate for a single man.

But how does that work out for a single man who is living at home with a parent? I would only get the bare JSA, wouldn't I? At the moment, being self employed, I have to pay £14.80 pwk as a non-dependant towards the rent (my mum is a pensioner, so she gets the rest of the rent paid for her). I also have to pay a monthly council tax rate of £17.00.

So if I did quit my writing business - which I do NOT want to do, as it is now starting to show signs of steady growth, albeit slowly - what possible gains would I get if I went straight back on the dole?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Use this to see what benefits you are eligible for:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Are you quite young? Do you have any savings?

London would the last place to go if you are unqualified. You would fare much better off up North like Leeds or Manchester, their jobs may pay less, but the cost of living is substantially cheaper than down South.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Truegho
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Use this to see what benefits you are eligible for:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Are you quite young? Do you have any savings?

London would the last place to go if you are unqualified. You would fare much better off up North like Leeds or Manchester, their jobs may pay less, but the cost of living is substantially cheaper than down South.

I am 56. Only one thousand pounds savings. Would never go to London. Have considered Leeds and Manchester, the latter being a bit more near to where I live (just under an hour on the train from Lime Street). Have actually applied for jobs in Manchester, but again, very rarely hear anything back.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 February 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »
    But how does that work out for a single man who is living at home with a parent? I would only get the bare JSA, wouldn't I? At the moment, being self employed, I have to pay £14.80 pwk as a non-dependant towards the rent (my mum is a pensioner, so she gets the rest of the rent paid for her). I also have to pay a monthly council tax rate of £17.00.

So if I did quit my writing business - which I do NOT want to do, as it is now starting to show signs of steady growth, albeit slowly - what possible gains would I get if I went straight back on the dole?
    Sorry, I didn't realise that those were your circumstances. But even at £70 a week it's £3640 pa, and you said your earnings were £4000 max?

Edit: You have my admiration for not just falling back on benefits and trying to get by yourself.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 6:58PM
    Options
    I have looked for another job for AGES. But the problem is I live in an unemployment blackspot, where HUNDREDS are chasing each vacancy and consequently I rarely get a reply from an employer. It is very demoralising and depressing.

No such thing as an unemployment blackspot anywhere in the UK however there are plenty of people who claim they can't find work who are unable to because they're picky about what they do. I find it impossible to believe that living within an hour of Leeds and Manchester you cannot find any work, quite clearly you're not applying for everything or even close.

Search for temp and employment agencies in your local area and sign up to them. It'll most likely be factory production line and warehouse work but there will be work available.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Do you only give your mother £14.80 a week? What about money towards the food, gas, electricity, phone etc?

Personally if I were 56 living at home with my mum on a pension giving her anything less than £100 a week I'd be bloody embarrassed. My 48 year old brother in law is like you in a similar situation, he thinks that paying the phone bill on a phone that only he uses and the gas/electricity is paying his way. We worked out that to truly pay his way would be £90 a week and that doesn't even compensate her for the time spent cooking his meals and washing his clothes. When my mother in law dies he's going to be in for one hell of a wake up.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 7:30PM
    Options
    window cleaning
    delivering leaflets for local bussiness
    car wash
    dog/ walking/ sitting
    charity shop work
    etc...

theres loads out there for example we have 2 lads that clean our windows every 4 weeks for £6 the do about 40 houses in a day 1 lad does the fronts the other does the back they have no car or van just carry ladders and the buckets etc... by hand plus we let them use our outside tap

so £6 x 40 = £240/ 2 = £120 each a day not bad going, so there is prospect outthere but as the above poster said people are picky and see some jobs below them

eve if you do 10 houses a day @ £6 thats £60 a day again not bad
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    When did you last work? How many jobs a week do you apply for? Are you registered with any temp agencies?

Jobsearch is a numbers game, the more you apply for, the more likely is it that you'll get a job.
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    I would check the posting history. All of the job advice has been gone through many times.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport