Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    This isn't the case for Art and Design related degrees. All bar one of my DD's uni choices is entry by portfolio and interview.

The other one requires submission of an electronic portfolio but doesn't interview due to the volume of applications it receives.

This applies to all applicants equally.

You're right, A&D is different but the conversation had become more general when I made my point.!!!55357;!!!56832;
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Just looking at thetrainline.com it seems that there are some direct trains, and there are others via Newcastle, Manchester or Wolverhampton.
    Thank you Roz. Admittedly I didn't realise that, I was making a suggestion that the OP's daughter uses the app suggested by another poster that tells them when to get off etc, but having had a look and played with a couple of dates, it looks like there's a direct train at 7am from Edinburgh to Reading, gets in shortly after 1pm. That any good OP?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes but to travel to Reading from Edinburgh you have to change in London, I think it would be too much for her changing main line stations via the tube

Another route: there are (slower) trains between Reading and Waterloo, and a direct bus from there to King's Cross (which is actually walking distance anyway).

In practice there are many reasons why the daughter is likely, eventually, to choose to study in Scotland, but the Wimbledon interview would be good practice for her and if she were prevented from attending she might respond badly.
  • I work in university admin. They are generally very hot on diversity and disability issues these days and there is good awareness of mental health problems. The students do need to seek out this support though; we can't force it upon them.

We CANNOT discuss any aspect of the student's academic progress or health issues with anyone without the student's written permission. Anything a student says to their personal tutor is treated in confidence. They are legally adults and are treated as such.

Open Days and Interview Days are a two way process- the student should come armed with questions about the course. We can't guarantee that all lecturers will be available; they are busy and it's the type of job that often involves short notice filling in for someone else.

If the OP's daughter is passionately enthusiastic about this particular course at this specific institution, then the financial and practical logistics can be overcome. If she's just going because it's the first place to make an offer, then I would hold fire until you hear from Scottish unis.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • You wouldn't have got what from a prospectus?
    That if the uni didn’t care enough about potential students to have faculty lecturers turn up to an open day, they probably weren’t the most committed
  • Cheeseface wrote: »
    That if the uni didn’t care enough about potential students to have faculty lecturers turn up to an open day, they probably weren’t the most committed

Perhaps the academic staff were committed to their academic duties rather than being sales people for the university? I've worked in FE rather than HE but the bums on seats philosophy that overrides everything in education these days is quite sickening.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Perhaps the academic staff were committed to their academic duties rather than being sales people for the university? I've worked in FE rather than HE but the bums on seats philosophy that overrides everything in education these days is quite sickening.

This is beginning to change. Big red-brick institutions are being chased out of the saloon by keen-runner-bean FE/HE institutions who are well used to recruiting by hook or crook.
  • It was a Saturday so I’d assume no lectures were taking place, especially as it was a designated Open Day. My child didn’t want to know about the sports facilities on campus, or how many restaurants they had. That’s what the sales people were about. My child wasn’t interested in the sales people, there were plenty there.

They were interested in the curriculum, the options available to them on the degree, the ability to switch from batchelor to masters. Things the lecturers would know. The sales people, when asked, said it depending on the subject. My child was interested in two very similar subjects, both from the same faculty, at this particular uni. We couldn’t get the answers on an open day we’d travelled 150 miles to get to!
  • Cheeseface wrote: »
    It was a Saturday so I’d assume no lectures were taking place, especially as it was a designated Open Day. My child didn’t want to know about the sports facilities on campus, or how many restaurants they had. That’s what the sales people were about. My child wasn’t interested in the sales people, there were plenty there.

They were interested in the curriculum, the options available to them on the degree, the ability to switch from batchelor to masters. Things the lecturers would know. The sales people, when asked, said it depending on the subject. My child was interested in two very similar subjects, both from the same faculty, at this particular uni. We couldn’t get the answers on an open day we’d travelled 150 miles to get to!

I think that is a fair point. When we visited universities it was important for us to get a feel for the staff passion and drive for their subject as I know that plays a big part in motivating students when the going gets tough.

At all the ones we visited (RG) the staff who would be teaching the course were available to speak to and they gave tours of their facilities (this was for Chemical Engineering). My son also wanted to discuss Industrial Placements and their links to employers who did that.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think that is a fair point. When we visited universities it was important for us to get a feel for the staff passion and drive for their subject as I know that plays a big part in motivating students when the going gets tough.

At all the ones we visited (RG) the staff who would be teaching the course were available to speak to and they gave tours of their facilities (this was for Chemical Engineering). My son also wanted to discuss Industrial Placements and their links to employers who did that.
    We're in the process of visiting for my eldest. He's visited 3 so far, I went to one, Mr S has gone to all 3, they've all done as you've described and these are ex polys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure