Fees for liquidating a managed portfolio on death

Options

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't want to continue with the management firm, so I want to sell the shares and other investments.

That makes no sense. Why would you sell the shares just because you don't like the management company?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • howticklediam
    howticklediam Posts: 330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2018 at 2:21AM
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    Transferring to a cheap platform may save money. I did this a few years ago, there was a transfer out charge of £20 per holding but that was a lot less then the original firm would have charged to sell the shares.

That sounds more like it. I'll see if I can do something similar.
  • howticklediam
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Why would you sell the shares just because you don't like the management company?

Because I'm not impressed with the investment mix or its returns.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This follows a phone call today with the management company. There was no discussion of what was agreed in the T&Cs upon death, maybe they were errant in not dealing with that considering the age of the client (and presumably the age of many of their other clients).

You said that your relative was quite old and opened the portfolio at least 5 years ago (so slightly younger than quite old). Nothing there suggests they didn't have mental capacity to understand the charges they signed up to.
    Anyway, there was, at the end, a brief mention of transferring the assets, but no indication of the cost. Maybe that is the way to go, but they were a bit slow in making the suggestion.

If I try to buy a bag of potatoes in Sainsbury's for £1 they're not obliged to tell me I can get the exact same thing for 80p down the road.

Transferring the portfolio may well be the way to go, but the current manager is doing nothing wrong.
  • howticklediam
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    You said that your relative was quite old and opened the portfolio at least 5 years ago (so slightly younger than quite old). Nothing there suggests they didn't have mental capacity to understand the charges they signed up to.

If I try to buy a bag of potatoes in Sainsbury's for £1 they're not obliged to tell me I can get the exact same thing for 80p down the road.

Transferring the portfolio may well be the way to go, but the current manager is doing nothing wrong.

My relative's mental capacity was excellent until the end, but I would expect as a client's age advances that a highly-paid portfolio manager looking after 'long term strategic investments' might have raised the subject of what you want to happen after death. Although not strictly in their remit, I'm not sure where the boundary lies between IFA and full-blown wealth management, it would seem the ethical and at least thoughtful thing to do.

I don't think the management company are doing anything wrong, but again, it seems to me that they are trying to squeeze another ounce out of those who might be less wary. That, more than anything, puts me off staying with them.

At the end of the day it's up to them how they are perceived by their clients.
  • howticklediam
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is not advice or advisory services.
    That is a transaction charge. Commissions are still possible in non-advised areas.

Can you expand a bit on this please? What is the difference between a dealing charge, if that charge is a percentage of the consideration, and commission.

I thought they were the same thing but I think I am getting my terms mixed up. Thanks
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:41PM
    Options
    My relative's mental capacity was excellent until the end, but I would expect as a client's age advances that a highly-paid portfolio manager looking after 'long term strategic investments' might have raised the subject of what you want to happen after death. Although not strictly in their remit, I'm not sure where the boundary lies between IFA and full-blown wealth management, it would seem the ethical and at least thoughtful thing to do.

Right, and you haven't any evidence that they didn't communicate with your relative about what he/she wanted to do after their death or what their goals and objectives for the portfolio were.

For example, the portfolio might have low returns precisely because it was deliberately in low risk assets to avoid falls in value before it was given away to / inherited by the next generation. Or it might have a higher risk profile because the deceased was not bothered about being to spend the money and wanted to maximise potential growth to set the heirs off on a good path. There's no suggestion from what you've told us that the wealth manager / advisor didn't have those conversations.

And as part of that conversation, your relative might well have said "so, in practice,, if I die which I'm not planning on doing just yet, what will happen to the investments?".

And the advisor / relationship person may well have said, "well, the investments will still exist and remain invested in accordance with your existing strategy with all the future benefits, rights and obligations of those assets accruing to your estate, and the existing charging structure will continue. If your personal representatives decide they'd like to change the strategy, we can work with them to adjust the portfolio and manage the funds in a different direction. Of course, the executors or beneficiaries might not want to continue the relationship and if they want to take the assets elsewhere we'll let them do that, charging £x00 per line of stock to facilitate a transfer".

And to that, your relative probably thought, fine - if I'm dead I don't need it and what has been proposed doesn't seem unreasonable.
    I don't think the management company are doing anything wrong
    No, me neither. But your complaint seems to imply that they are not being ethical, and they should have considered the person's age when coming up with a portfolio and a charging structure, and they are probably ripping off their other clients who are also old. Whereas you don't have any reason to believe that they did not fully discuss with their clients what happens, or that the clients are unhappy that the default position on the event of death is that the assets remain invested until transferred out.

You mention your relative had "excellent mental capacity until the end". So, I have reason to doubt that they would have been unaware what the firm was doing. The relative may not have inquired whether at some unspecified point in future their heirs could take over the management of the assets and trade on specific dates and times on an execution-only basis via their service. But probably neither your relative nor the asset management firm thought that option needed discussing, if the options of keeping the investment as is, or signing up to advised services with a new strategy, or transferring it elsewhere, all exist. They probably didn't brainstorm every "what if" scenario because they can't predict what you are going to want to do.
    At the end of the day it's up to them how they are perceived by their clients.
    True. But if you are not their target market as you have your own ideas on what you want to do, and don't like their advice, service offering or pricing, it's no skin off their nose if they don't bend over backwards to please you.

If you come onto a DIY investment site and tell others that you don't like them because they didn't sell you an execution only service and didn't offer you a transfer until they'd ascertained you wouldn't be convinced to stay, again that is no major loss to them. Some (like me) won't perceive them badly for it ; others might, but weren't going to appoint them anyway...

I realise that bereavements are not pleasant so apologies if this doesn't come over as overly sympathetic. Similarly, don't shoot the messenger if we're just trying to give you some feedback on how this stuff might legitimately work. We're not employees of the firm concerned.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although not strictly in their remit, I'm not sure where the boundary lies between IFA and full-blown wealth management, it would seem the ethical and at least thoughtful thing to do.

And IFA provides advice on financial planning. They will recommend products and services and investment funds. They do not carry out the investment management. That is left to the various fund houses and fund managers.

it is also worth noting that on notification of death, any ongoing remuneration paid to the IFA ceases. So, the contract ends at death on the advice side. The executor can employ the IFA but it would be a new agreement with a new charge. Product providers/fund houses have to continue due to their nature.
    Can you expand a bit on this please? What is the difference between a dealing charge, if that charge is a percentage of the consideration, and commission.

The commission is paid to someone that is factored into the overall charges but may have no relation to the actual charge made. i.e. charge maybe 1% but they pay a commission to someone for 0.5%. A fee is an explicit charge that you pay.

Sometimes terminology is mixed up. However, on advisory services, it is clear cut. On transaction charges, not so much.

Its not clear from your posts whether this is a managed portfolio service from a discretionary manager or a selection of funds/investments held on a platform. (or a hybrid where you can turn the DFM side off with a button press.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • howticklediam
    Options
    Thanks #dunstonh. It's a managed portfolio service from a discretionary manager.

#bowlhead99, don't worry I'm not getting upset, I'm grateful to see your side of the argument. It may well be that those conversations took place, but my initial request was a very simple and unbiased one that seems to have taken on a life of its own.

I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, if it's come over that way it's inadvertent, and I have deliberately not named the company in question. I didn't ask for an execution-only service, I asked how I could liquidate the funds with least fuss. But I was a little dismayed when the conversation basically was, 'yes of course you can have your legacy but we'll charge you 0.6%.' I would have expected the conversation to go more like, 'in your circumstances the best thing we can do is...'

Maybe I just want to see the best in everyone and it's useful to see how you've framed it from the perspective of the manager.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    But I was a little dismayed when the conversation basically was, 'yes of course you can have your legacy but we'll charge you 0.6%.' I would have expected the conversation to go more like, 'in your circumstances the best thing we can do is...'
    Well, in your circumstances perhaps the best thing they could do for you is exit your investments for the agreed exit cost of 0.6% or whatever they want to charge. But letting you sell stock on an execution only basis for £5 per trade - or whatever some other groups with different fee structures might offer that you hope you can get from these guys - is not a service available on their menu.

An alternative option of them transferring the assets to some other party so that you can try to engineer a cheaper exit route, adds market risk to the exit you want to achieve.

Presumably when they said it would cost 0.6% to exit, you had the natural reaction of saying, "up yours, you bunch of chancers trying to exploit me!" and went off to have a think. But in the last five business days, world stock markets dropped by greater than 0.6%, which is counterproductive compared to the option of taking the "path of least resistance" which is to engage the current broker to exit the assets regardless of cost, to eliminate market risk from the equation.
    useful to see how you've framed it from the perspective of the manager.
    Whether you call that sort of thing, playing devil's advocate, or whatever - seeing the situation through all the possible sets of eyes is the key to tolerance and not getting upset by whatever trials and tribulations you think you face.

The answer from a service provider to the "why can't I get what I want" question is sometimes "well, you can get what you now want if you can find someone who will give you what you want and go back in time where necessary to set the wheels in motion to be ready to do that. Like have your relative use an entirely different service provider even though they had all their marbles and were happy with this one. But if you want me to help you here and now, this is what I propose we do..."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure