Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Options

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes but it is in south London and she would need to travel into London every time she went home/came back.
    Not necessarily. I think you can get to Wimbledon from Guildford, and there is also a line between Reading and Guildford if she has relatives in Reading.

My view is that if at all possible she should try to attend the interview - otherwise how will she have any idea if this is something that she wants to do and could cope with?
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2018 at 9:37AM
    Options
    I became more involved with each subsequent child. Eldest applied to the ones he wanted and only attended one open day and one interview (at the same university), I went with him but more as the parent who pays than anything else. The uni he eventually went to he had never set foot in before the day he arrived to start there.

Middle son, choices were discussed as there were certain criteria that needed to be met first. All required an interview/audition and were combination tours plus interview/audition days. He loved his eventual university from the first visit (we visited twice in the end).

Youngest son, we started open days early, lots of planning went into it and his eventual choice/city was visited 7 times before he started, always with me in tow.

However, I am not the over protective parent that this implies, both middle and youngest have disabilities and needed the extra parental support and in fact, it was essential to the process and a successful outcome. Eldest son has always been very independent and done his own thing.

It almost went wrong with middle son last year, he had moved out of halls (as is common in 2nd year) and the loss of the supportive environment and the lack of rules meant that he couldn't cope and his mental health declined whilst his ASD increased. He stopped accessing his support, wouldn't talk to anyone (me included) and ended up in a very bad place. In the end, he was on the verge of being kicked out, things were so bad that he received the termination of studies email and we had to go through their appeals process.

Lots of work went on over the summer to rebuild his mental health, his coping strategies, his stress relievers alongside working with the university to see if there was a way back for him. Thankfully, they could see the improvements made and after meeting their requirements for fitness to study, he was allowed back to redo second year, albeit starting slightly later than his peers.

He is back in halls accommodation as a disabled student and will remain so for his duration at the uni and working with his support and I am glad to say, doing very well indeed.

With youngest son, I make frequent visits to the uni city he is in and stay for a day or two to keep him 'balanced'. He, unlike his brother, realises when he is on a downward slope and will use certain keywords to let me know it is time to come up as he is struggling (so he can ask without actually saying the proper words, he does like his code words). He also has to ring me every time he leaves his accommodation to cope with his over sensitivity to noise and his surroundings as it forces his brain to think about other things rather than the scary outside world...it's quite weird going shopping via the end of a telephone. He has found these ways of coping rather than me and although it can be a bit of a bind for me, if it works for him, then I will continue to do it (and obviously it is working for him, he is on a high first at the moment, managing his money well and is in a good place mentally).
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Open days are a comparatively recent phenomenon - we used to make our choices based on the prospectus alone and we knew that it was about whether the university chose us!

Back in the late 70's the normal procedure was to send off for a few prospectuses and apply, by post, to the ones you liked the look of. If you were lucky, you would get offered an interview. I got three interviews for my foundation course which resulted in one unconditional offer. It was very much them picking you, not vice versa.

My degree course was easier as there was only one school that did the course I wanted to do. Beyond the perusal of the prospectuses, parental involvement was minimal... a lift to the station if you were lucky.
    I don't think that consumerism and HE sit well together.

They don't.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    I can't comment on other courses but all the interviews my daughter has attended were more or less the same format. Take part in a group exercise, prepare a presentation to be delivered to the course tutors, (the subject was given in the invitation letter) take maths and english tests and then have a face to face interview with the course tutor and another Uni official. Luckily she received conditional offers from all the ones she had applied to, she still has to pass the Dept Of Education Skills Tests in Maths and English to be guaranteed a place. She received an unconditional offer for a different course at one Uni.

She only received 2 days notice for one of these interviews, it was quite stressful really. I'm pleased it's all done now !
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The format must be subject related. My kids received their offers without interviews and then were invited to a post-offer open day. So all the students on that day had been given offers and the aim of the day was to show students the department/ uni/ accommodation/ town but also to sell the uni to them.

I don't if they were lucky not to have interviews first or whether that is standard for their subject, but it happened for both of them for all their applications, mainly Russell group universities.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The format must be subject related. My kids received their offers without interviews and then were invited to a post-offer open day. So all the students on that day had been given offers and the aim of the day was to show students the department/ uni/ accommodation/ town but also to sell the uni to them.

I don't if they were lucky not to have interviews first or whether that is standard for their subject, but it happened for both of them for all their applications, mainly Russell group universities.

Many universities only interview the border line applicants - those they definitely want get immediate offers.
  • Cheeseface
    Options

Many universities only interview the border line applicants - those they definitely want get immediate offers.
    My child is studying maths at a Russell Group uni. They got offers from 2 RG unis (ABB, ABA), interview with offer from another RG ( needed AAA) and an unconditional offer from a high rated non RG uni. They ended up with ABA* and got into the one needing AAA.

We went to seven open days altogether. I can’t imagine not going to investigate. At one uni, there were no subject lecturers available to talk to one the open day so we ruled that out quickly. You wouldn’t have got that from a prospectus.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options

My daughter was applying for a Teaching degree, after interviews, the successful applicants are given conditional offers if they haven't already passed the DFE Skills Tests in Maths and English. If they haven't passed the skills tests after 3 attempts, they aren't allowed to take them again for 2 years. I don't think any Uni would offer a place on a Teaching Course without interviewing first.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheeseface wrote: »
    My child is studying maths at a Russell Group uni. They got offers from 2 RG unis (ABB, ABA), interview with offer from another RG ( needed AAA) and an unconditional offer from a high rated non RG uni. They ended up with ABA* and got into the one needing AAA.

We went to seven open days altogether. I can’t imagine not going to investigate. At one uni, there were no subject lecturers available to talk to one the open day so we ruled that out quickly. You wouldn’t have got that from a prospectus.

You wouldn't have got what from a prospectus?
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

For mine, it was subject related. For all of eldest's offers, there were no interviews, for the one course that he was declined for, there was an interview but it was more Arts than the other courses applied for. All offers were conditional.

For middle son, an interview/audition was essential to make sure there was a talent/knowledge first (music). He received conditional offers to all but his firm became unconditional a couple of months before results day, a huge surprise to us.

For youngest, there was a possibility of a couple of interviews (one at an RG uni) but one(RG) decided in the end not to do one and gave him an unconditional and the other he withdrew before interview date. One other he withdrew before any decision was made as everything was unsettling him and they were taking too long and the remaining two were unconditionals. He went with one of the non RG offers as the setting and the course content were more suited to him and his career aspirations. The unconditionals made a huge difference to the process, we had none of the stress in the lead up to to the exams as he knew that despite what happened, they wanted him (he still worked at them though and surpassed expectations)
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure