PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budgeting/food advice please :)

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Adding my congratulations to taking control of your life.
    I'd add: even if you don't have access to freezer, space, you can do "roll over" dishes - a small amount of left-over lentil bake can be mashed up into a jacket potato and topped with cheese, for example.
    Try to have a very simple standby - a bake in the freezer (if you have one) or a couple of cans. That way, if the day has panned out badly, or the pennies have run out,you have the makings of a quick, cheering meal.
    If you do have a freezer, stash a few slices of bread so you can always do toast.
    This is one of my favourite standbys, a version ofcorn chowder, usually made with a few bacon bits (mis-shapes or the very end of a gammon joint) but can be great without meat:
    In oil or butter, brown some potatoes (it's a good use for left over potatoes of any kind, or use a small can). Add a can of sweet corn. Extra liquid can be vege stock, milk, a bit of a mix, or for real luxury you can swirl in a bit of cream / creme fraiche. Season with paprika, salt & pepper. If you have a bit of cheese, cut into small cubes & drop in (smoked cheese is especially good)
    This is also comfort food, and when you are feeling fragile, something comforting to eat, especially something as inexpensive as this can make you feel lots better!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well done you for escaping, and coping. And that's probably a better store-cupboard stash than my student son will have bought himself to last the next two weeks! However he's not veggie, but one of my daughters is. Thinking about what she likes to eat, I think I'd add chickpeas, dried (cheaper) if you can be organised enough to soak them in advance, tinned if not, eggs, & onions; it takes minutes to chop an onion, mash some chick peas, add some spice (why not fajita spice?) & bind with an egg to make falafels, which will last several days in the fridge once cooked. She also roasts chick-peas & eats them in salads, and adds them to stir-fries along with green leaves (a cabbage doesn't cost a lot & keeps well in a cool place if wrapped in its own outer leaves) peppers & onions, which she'd have with noodles, rice or bulgur wheat, all inexpensive. We have been organised enough to grow our own sprouting beans on the windowsill to add to stir-fries & salads for optimum nutrition, but not very often! But sometimes "score" some at the local greengrocers reduced to 50p just before 5pm.

She has in the past suffered with low iron levels, which can contribute hugely to depression and anxiety. Hence the emphasis on leafy green veg, which, along with lentils & other pulses, contribute a fair bit of iron to the diet. And she uses an old cast-iron pan, acquired for pennies at a car boot sale, which also adds traces of usable iron to her diet, and has satisfied the doc that she can keep her iron levels up without supplements, which has also helped her moods to stabilise. You are what you eat, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune!
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,485
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have a look at the cooking on a bootstrap website written by Jack Monroe. There are loads of cheap veggie & vegan meals on there. I'm not veggie but use several of her recipes.

Agree with others that it would be good for you to buy some beans, chickpeas & lentils as you have little protein in what you've bought so far. I'd also add tomatoes to the list of tinned foods, they are useful in so many dishes.

Denise
  • Wow - thank you so much for your replies and wonderful suggestions. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with your kindness. :A

I'll try to reply to everyone, I'm sorry if I miss anyone out. :o

PasturesNew - There are some great (easy!) ideas there, I appreciate them very much. Thank you. :)

PinkyPig - aw thank you lovely :) being independent is both terrifying and exhilarating! Tortilla pizzas sound fab. Guess what's on the menu today? :P

Larumbelle Thank you for the hugs, they've been very gratefully received. :A I'm sorry you went through this awful situation but feeling so so glad you've come out of it a fighter. I'll PM you once I've got my head together - could be a while. :rotfl:

Pollyanna 26 - I bought some split red lentils and split yellow peas so hopefully that'll help me with the protein intake. It wouldn't do to neglect my health at this stage. I'll be along to join you on the other thread, it sounds like something I need. Thank you. :)

I'll reply to everyone else later, this is about as much as my energy allows right now. Thank you all so much! :j I'm feeling quite positive and ready to face a new week.
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    How about 'Italian soup'? Carrots and peppers simmered off a bit (onions and celery next time too), solider of Tom pur!e fried off, top up with stock then break some spaghetti in. In wealthier times, a tin of butter beans, sprinkle of dried time in there then fresh basil in top and Parmesan cheese at the end. But for now, a way to use that spaghetti up and the veggies of you have any looking sad by the end of the week.
    Second the Cooking On A Bootstrap website, great for balanced and healthy meals.
    Good luck
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Would you eat Quorn? If so you have a lot of choice with meals and its great protein though it is pricey. I think all the advice here has been great with regards keeping your protein levels up. Tins of tomatoes are a must as said earlier - I cannot live without them! Budgeting is hard - I still struggle and I have been independently shopping for a very long time and still get things wrong. Veg stock cubes are useful. And don't forget - the cheap cheap budget stuff is often as nice as branded. I bought the basics baked beans in Mr T the other day - delicious! If you have a freezer you will def make your life easier. I often make a cake (and using a packet mix is fine if its easier!) and when cool cut it up and freeze the potions so I have a tasty sweet cheap treat when wanted/needed. (The good news is that you can replicate the same spongy texture without the use of eggs. Eggs can be replaced with mashed bananas, applesauce, vinegar with baking soda, yogurt and silken tofu, depending on the recipe. Eggless cakes can be tricky, but they don't always have to be fussy or complicated) - taken from internet as I know you are allergic to eggs but don't let that stop you having cake!! I have cooked with yoghurt/sour cream/applesauce and bananas alot - its all good!
    Don't forget charity shops and car boot sales sell cake tins and baking/cooking equipment all the time when your budget allows. And check out the charity shops for quilts or blankets (the home made kind if prefered) as often these are donated and very warm for when sitting on the sofa. Or on the bed. Maybe even look out for a hot water bottle.
    On a final note - well done on your new found independence. Onwards and upwards!!!
  • joedenise wrote: »
    Have a look at the cooking on a bootstrap website written by Jack Monroe. There are loads of cheap veggie & vegan meals on there. I'm not veggie but use several of her recipes.

Agree with others that it would be good for you to buy some beans, chickpeas & lentils as you have little protein in what you've bought so far. I'd also add tomatoes to the list of tinned foods, they are useful in so many dishes.

Denise

I've been browsing the site you mentioned and it's fantastic! I've bookmarked it and will read more later. Thank you. :T I also bought chickpeas today. :D
    Katzen wrote: »
    How about 'Italian soup'? Carrots and peppers simmered off a bit (onions and celery next time too), solider of Tom pur!e fried off, top up with stock then break some spaghetti in. In wealthier times, a tin of butter beans, sprinkle of dried time in there then fresh basil in top and Parmesan cheese at the end. But for now, a way to use that spaghetti up and the veggies of you have any looking sad by the end of the week.
    Second the Cooking On A Bootstrap website, great for balanced and healthy meals.
    Good luck

This sounds delicious, I can't wait to try it. Thank you for writing out the whole recipe for me. :beer:
    Poppy3008 wrote: »
    Would you eat Quorn? If so you have a lot of choice with meals and its great protein though it is pricey. I think all the advice here has been great with regards keeping your protein levels up. Tins of tomatoes are a must as said earlier - I cannot live without them! Budgeting is hard - I still struggle and I have been independently shopping for a very long time and still get things wrong. Veg stock cubes are useful. And don't forget - the cheap cheap budget stuff is often as nice as branded. I bought the basics baked beans in Mr T the other day - delicious! If you have a freezer you will def make your life easier. I often make a cake (and using a packet mix is fine if its easier!) and when cool cut it up and freeze the potions so I have a tasty sweet cheap treat when wanted/needed. (The good news is that you can replicate the same spongy texture without the use of eggs. Eggs can be replaced with mashed bananas, applesauce, vinegar with baking soda, yogurt and silken tofu, depending on the recipe. Eggless cakes can be tricky, but they don't always have to be fussy or complicated) - taken from internet as I know you are allergic to eggs but don't let that stop you having cake!! I have cooked with yoghurt/sour cream/applesauce and bananas alot - its all good!
    Don't forget charity shops and car boot sales sell cake tins and baking/cooking equipment all the time when your budget allows. And check out the charity shops for quilts or blankets (the home made kind if prefered) as often these are donated and very warm for when sitting on the sofa. Or on the bed. Maybe even look out for a hot water bottle.
    On a final note - well done on your new found independence. Onwards and upwards!!!

Ooh yes I do like quorn.

Unfortunately my freezer is a tiny box crammed into the under-counter fridge! :( I plan to scour freecycle and selling sites for a bigger one as soon as my budget allows. I know it'll save so much money. There's only so many times I can eat the same meal lol and cooking a small amount seems a waste of energy!
    I'm pleased to announce that strangely, I'm not allergic to disguised eggs. :rotfl: be they in biscuits or cakes! Things like quiche and omelette are out of the question though. It's weird.
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    You're very welcome, hope it's tasty enough. If you only have a tiny freezer then don't bother with dried chickpeas as they take an hour+ of boiling, fine if you can do in bulk but energy costly if only doing a portion or two. Look out for tins on 3 for £1 offers and always go down the 'ethnic' aisle in big supermarkets as they are often far cheaper than own brand ones sold in the tinned veg aisle.
    I would suggest dried red lentils though, add a handful to most soups for for added thickness and protein.
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Hello lovely OldStylers,

I'm in a bit of a quandary at the moment. I've recently moved into my own place after escaping a very abusive and controlling relationship. To the point that managing on my own is a complete revelation! I'd had no say in financial matters so even getting my name on the bills has been a huge achievement. I'm enjoying being at peace but I seriously need to learn how to budget! There have been a lot of outgoings this month and I've unexpectedly been left with £40 in my bank account. I get paid in two weeks so I'm hoping it'll be enough to last until then. I still need to be very sensible as it's been too easy to overspend recently!

I did spend quite a bit on staples at Lidl so I have:

Beans
    Cheese
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Stock cubes
    Spaghetti
    Pasta
    Tomato pur!e
    Tea/coffee
    Bread
    Wraps
    Fajita seasoning mix (25p a pack from Lidl, seems better than buying too many spices at this point. Ok I admit it - I'm a lazy git :rotfl:)
    Bananas
    Biscuits
    Cereal

I'm vegetarian so I won't need to buy meat. I'm also allergic to fish and eggs so there's some more saving there! :p oh and I'm teetotal.. that should help, right? If anyone can suggest meal ideas (preferable super easy as I struggle with PTSD, depression and anxiety and every task is horribly difficult) I'd be so very grateful. :A

I'm on a water, leccy and gas meter. :( I'm finding it all so confusing. I need the heating on a couple of hours a day or my joints flare up. I don't know where to start saving. I'm trying not to feel too overwhelmed with everything so please lend me your words of support. :A

Thank you in advance.

Good luck, Welsh Wanderer!

Your list is looking good..personally I'd add onions and tinned tomatoes. Flour is very useful too! If you have freezer space...stickered bread or even breadcrumbs. Soya mince is a blessing! Don't forget veg oil or marg!

I wish you well x
  • A ig (((Hug))) from me , you are on the up and it will feel strange at first, but you will get there xxx

Holland and Barrett have 375g TVP chunks and soya mince for £1.99 which go a long way.

My DD is vegetarian and we try to eat a few veggie meals a week, We all love Garlic spaghetti and it came from our skint years when I had to find cheap meals for four of us.
    For four people............
    Cook the baguettes in the oven while the spaghetti is cooking in boiling salted water. When both the baguettes and spaghetti are ready leave some water in the pan to emulsify the sauce and then crumble in the baguettes , stirring in the garlic butter and crumbs, you can vary it by frying some mushrooms in butter and adding to the spaghetti, but the basic one is a favourite even now. Cost for four is 89p = 22p a portion.
    I take advantage of the super six at Aldi, the last fortnight has been great, brussels sprouts, leeks, cooked beetroot, swede, parsnips and white onions all at 45p, it changes on Thurs 20-oct - Wed 02-Nov and will be:

All at 55p

Kale-200g, Satsumas 600g, Butternut Squash, Funsize Apples min 5 pack, Asparagus, Chestnut Mushrooms-250g
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills