Would anyone mind giving me a fresh look at a kitchen design

Options
jimfromcov
jimfromcov Posts: 18 Forumite
I'm renovating my two bedroom, terrace house and would like a fresh look at the kitchen design. I've got a screen grab below with an idea of what I would like to do but fear that I'm stuck on my first idea and can't see better alternatives. Colours are not what i want, but Ikea do not offer much of a range. I'm thinking more in line with this scheme - https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/947059/albany-road-london

kyBkBMl.png

Some important things to note:
  1. The incoming water main sits below the sink (this is the main reason for the peninsula)
  2. The box on the left next to item 9 is a column roughly 300mm [1'] deep (coming away from the wall) by 400mm [1' 4"] wide which contains a boxed in waste pipe from the bathroom upstairs and hot and cold water pipes.
  3. The doors on wall A are to storage under the stairs (left) and the lounge (right), the door on the bottom wall is a set of french doors to the garden
  4. Beneath the letters B and C is a single storey extension so I am reluctant to have the extractor fan (and therefore hob) above this as it will be difficult to get the duct to an external wall
  5. Difficult to see but item 6 is a tall unit with built in oven and microwave, there is a fridge beneath items 17 and 18. Item 15 is a washing machine, and 12 (peninsula bottom right) is the dishwasher. 7 is a set of drawers, and there are drawers under the hob, but everything else is storage of some sort.
  6. The draining board of the sink will be on the left hand side - I couldn't get the Ikea planner to spin it round.

One of main main worries is "flow". I am concerned that the gap between the peninsula and cabinets to the right is too narrow (currently 1200mm [4']) with the fridge there but I cannot think of anywhere else to move it to without causing a new problem.

The house is essentially a building site at the moment so feel free to offer radical ideas!

fbVoAuO.png

Comments

• bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a thought but why can't you move the water inlet if the house is a building site anyway?

How you inquired/priced this?
  • jimfromcov
    Options
    I can in theory but it is an old lead incoming main and the isolation point is shared with a dozen or so houses so i'd have to either freeze the pipe and hope that the pipe doesn't fall apart, or turn everyone's water off. Then I've got the issue of burying the leadlock adapter which I'm not keen on.

Not sure what you mean by how have I enquired / priced?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What about a U shape from door on wall A round to the sink/water inlet.

Or galley to avoid the corners, full hight against wall a loads of storage and oven/micro

Walk in pantry storage into the under stairs and alongit the wall.

That freesup the full width for all of wall D.
  • bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimfromcov wrote: »
    I can in theory but it is an old lead incoming main and the isolation point is shared with a dozen or so houses so i'd have to either freeze the pipe and hope that the pipe doesn't fall apart, or turn everyone's water off. Then I've got the issue of burying the leadlock adapter which I'm not keen on.

Not sure what you mean by how have I enquired / priced?

I meant, had you already looked at this and realised it was too hard or expensive. Ours is fairly simple (mains water meter/valve at end of path to switch off and then move it as we want).

As you say, it does seem hard to do but it's not impossible if it helps you alter the kitchen layout to something else you want.
  • jimfromcov
    Options
    What about a U shape from door on wall A round to the sink/water inlet.

Or galley to avoid the corners, full hight against wall a loads of storage and oven/micro

Walk in pantry storage into the under stairs and alongit the wall.

That freesup the full width for all of wall D.
    I'd like to do something like you've suggested but the drainage is next to the column on the left hand wall - below item 10 and can't dig down to run a new pipe.
  • jimfromcov
    Options
    bigstevex wrote: »
    I meant, had you already looked at this and realised it was too hard or expensive. Ours is fairly simple (mains water meter/valve at end of path to switch off and then move it as we want).

As you say, it does seem hard to do but it's not impossible if it helps you alter the kitchen layout to something else you want.
    No, I can make it work cost-wise and am confident in making it work, but just a bit conflicted on whether it would look good / work well.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The worktop space is minimal next to hob and oven, which means you will soon run out of space to place hot pans etc.

Think about an oven below the hob instead and then you'll not need tall larder unit to house it. The microwave could go inside the bottom cupboard next to oven, saving buying a built in model.

VB
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of unused space along wall D, does the table really need all that space? Could you put a run of shallow full height units along part or all of wall D?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure