Opening a UK bank account in Euros

I have some money in a bank account in Ireland that now needs to be closed.

I would really like to keep it in Euros. My bank (Natwest) doesn't offer a Euro bank account. Has anyone come across any others?

It's a few thousand pounds so may not be worth it but I would rather avoid the current rate of exchange and keep it in Euros so that I can use it when I go abroad

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You don't give a reason for why your existing Euro account needs to be closed - why can't you keep it? That seems to be the most obvious course of action to me.

If you search this board for Euro account, you'll find the combined wisdom of the posters on this subject.
  • yrnm
    yrnm Posts: 9 Forumite
    Barclays offers a Euro account, but you need to have a sterling current account with them, to be eligible for the Euro acct.

barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/euro-account/
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd recommend Starling - they offer both GBP and EUR accounts and the ability to convert between them on the fly at great rates.

Otherwise most high street banks offer a Euro account - sometimes you just need to ask if they will offer you one. Don't use them to convert between currencies however as they'll rip you off with the exchange rate, but if you are just intending to store your money then they will probably suffice.
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2019 at 10:30PM
    I'd recommend Starling - they offer both GBP and EUR accounts and the ability to convert between them on the fly at great rates.

Otherwise most high street banks offer a Euro account - sometimes you just need to ask if they will offer you one. Don't use them to convert between currencies however as they'll rip you off with the exchange rate, but if you are just intending to store your money then they will probably suffice.

Beware though that many high street banks will charge you to transfer money out of the euro account (even as a euro SEPA payment with no currency conversion).

Barclays doesn't charge, though, so is probably a better bet than the other high street banks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure