Council tax overpaid

I wasnt quite sure where to post this, i couldnt find the answer googling it, and stumbled upon this forum, figured was good as place as any.

I had a letter stating i had been overpaid and must now pay extra on my council tax, the amount i owe is around £400 according to the letter, however i essentially become homeless in early april, and my job ends early may making it impossible to pay what i owe or even close to it, curious if anyone has insight on what that means for the money due? Does it get written off when i become homeless? Or am i expected impossibly to pay it all off at once instead of spread out?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you'll need to clarify what you mean, as I don't see how being overpaid has any impact on your council tax.

However, if you do owe it the money won't get written off, your housing status doesn't effect any arrears you may have, but if you don't have the money to pay it then you should speak to the council to discover what your options are.
  • Phoenix91
    Phoenix91 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2019 at 9:17PM
    I am being charged an extra £27 on my council tax to recoup the overpayment, i also forgot to include the £1000 overpayment on housing benefit which is being claimed back at £11 a week out of my housing benefit. Neither of these can be paid back in any way shape or form, like i said leaving my job in may and the little money i earn between now and then is needed to survive essentially.

So i owe the money, will be homeless and jobless, curious how im expected to pay it back?

I should also say i work only like 15 hours currently a week, between now and when i leave my job will net me total maybe £1k if im lucky, if that is taken i will have nothing to live off, i was just after options, perhaps ways to write it off or have it paused till another job or something i am unaware of
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2019 at 9:15PM
    if you are going to become homeless an option would be refuse to pay the council tax, let them prosecute you, be rude to the judge in court and go for maximum prison sentence you can get

"At least 62 people were locked up in England and Wales in 2016-17" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42098645

meantime in the real world they don't get as far as a custodial sentence unless you are really bad, but nor do they write it off. You will remain on record and they will collect when they see you have money. It would however be highly counter productive not to talk to them first about your position and options.
  • Going to prison is out of the question. Id rather be homeless. Thats easy ive done it before. Paying off when my situation is better sure but im just concerned about being stripped of the savings ill have between jobs and left to starve.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Phoenix91 wrote: »
    I am being charged an extra £27 on my council tax to recoup the overpayment, i also forgot to include the £1000 overpayment on housing benefit which is being claimed back at £11 a week out of my housing benefit. Neither of these can be paid back in any way shape or form, like i said leaving my job in may and the little money i earn between now and then is needed to survive essentially.

So i owe the money, will be homeless and jobless, curious how im expected to pay it back?

I should also say i work only like 15 hours currently a week, between now and when i leave my job will net me total maybe £1k if im lucky, if that is taken i will have nothing to live off, i was just after options, perhaps ways to write it off or have it paused till another job or something i am unaware of

Over payment of what?

You are not making much sense.
  • Perhaps if you had read? Council tax and housing benefit. Both i was overpaid due to a change in my wages last year that i thought they were already aware of.

What is so difficult to understand? I work under 16 hours so receive both.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I thought council tax benefit had been abolished?

Is it not council tax reduction now?
  • I am not sure, it just says council tax support. Either way i owe it. I dont really care what it is called
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    I am not sure, it just says council tax support. Either way i owe it. I dont really care what it is called

Then why should others?
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Im not asking anyone to debate the name. Are you really that idiotic? I poeted here asking for advice. It is understood what it is even if the name is changed i dont give a !!!!. The thing remains the same and unless you are dense when i say council tax overpayment i owe then surely that leaves very little options to what it is? Im not wanting to argue the title. It progresses the actual issue none.

If you need me to spell it out and take issue with not caring with what it is called then you probably aren't equipped to assist.

I trust that is simple enough for you?

So which one was it then? Can’t you just be clear and consistent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure