temp reduced hours

Hi
wondering if any one can give any advice over my situation

I reduced my FT hours on a temp basis after maternity leave, have since now requested them to be increased and have been refused it was over 9 years ago but I have a letter stating it was on a temp basis and to be reviewed the following year, and it never has been I have never received any new contact for my reduced hours
any one have any advice on how to proceed
thanks

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The employer appears to be regarding this variation as permanent.

Why didn't you seek a review at the 12 month term?

You may now be stuck with the situation.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi
    wondering if any one can give any advice over my situation

I reduced my FT hours on a temp basis after maternity leave, have since now requested them to be increased and have been refused it was over 9 years ago but I have a letter stating it was on a temp basis and to be reviewed the following year, and it never has been I have never received any new contact for my reduced hours
    any one have any advice on how to proceed
    thanks
    To be honest after 9 years I don't think you're going to get very far.

The business needs have clearly changed
  • we always had overtime on ... so it was more flexible to stay as I was but I've never recd a new contract stating part time,
    work has never reviewed it and tbh only found the letter stating it was reduced on a temp basis recently and I previously asked them to increase them last year but this was refused x
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    we always had overtime on ... so it was more flexible to stay as I was but I've never recd a new contract stating part time,
    work has never reviewed it and tbh only found the letter stating it was reduced on a temp basis recently and I previously asked them to increase them last year but this was refused x

Doesn't change anything. Sorry.

Don't push too hard lest you find yourself at the front of the redundancy line.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It depends how it was done.

If youve gone the 'flexible working' route it was more than likely a permanent change. If youve negotiated something then its down to what was negotiated.

Id be worried if im honest. An employer very rarely has issues giving someone they like and think are good worker more work. The fact they wont give you more work suggests they dont see any value in doing so. Tread carefully with this one.
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    It depends how it was done.

If youve gone the 'flexible working' route it was more than likely a permanent change. If youve negotiated something then its down to what was negotiated.

Id be worried if im honest. An employer very rarely has issues giving someone they like and think are good worker more work. The fact they wont give you more work suggests they dont see any value in doing so. Tread carefully with this one.

its to do with cutbacks and budgets ...not personally
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    its to do with cutbacks and budgets ...not personally

Then it is "business needs". Not much you can do really as 9 years is hardly temporary. It seems the shorter hours are your norm and you have accepted this by never asking for more hours during this time.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    it was over 9 years ago but I have a letter stating it was on a temp basis and to be reviewed the following year, and it never has been I have never received any new contact for my reduced hours

It would be a joint responsibility to review.

By working past the previously agreed review period you have effectively made the change permanent and contractual.

what is the exact wording of the letter, it is actually possible that the wording makes it permanent from the start with the review on that a review.

if you want a change in hours to be temporary there needs to be terms/date where the default is to return to the old hours.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    A business needs assessment would have been done when you requested reduced hours and it was seen that the company could cope with you on those hours. In effect, if not in practice, they have done the same again now and decided they are happy to continue with the current setup. Nothing much you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure