Good Non-Bank VISA Credit Card

JGUK
JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Hey MSEers,

Looked in my wallet recently and realised beyond one high APR VISA credit card, all my other credit cards are MasterCard.

Beyond HSBC, First Direct, Barclaycard and Nationwide are there any big credit card providers still issuing VISA credit cards?

Or are MasterCard currently offering much better rates back to institutions as they seem to be a bit low on the ground unless I'm missing something!

Thanks
JG
Thanks
JG

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I posted something similar recently. Looks like MasterCard has a monopoly in the UK somewhat. The VISA offerings just don't come close.
    Much more VISA rewards cards in the US.
  • Vanquis still provide VISA cards, albeit "sub-prime"
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I’m got a MBNA visa bit looks like only Mastercard now on their website.
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The subprime one I have is Vanquis and isn't an ideal card to spend on.

MBNA were VISA but I see they've switched to MasterCard now which is annoying.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    JG
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Smile Bank do Visa, but you have to have been an account holder for seven months to be eligible. Not much good to OP, but someone else might find the information useful.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What's the problem with the 4 providers you list? And why do you want a 'non-bank' card?
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    JGUK wrote: »
    The subprime one I have is Vanquis and isn't an ideal card to spend on.

MBNA were VISA but I see they've switched to MasterCard now which is annoying.

Any other suggestions?

My MBNA Horizon (ex airline co-branded Amex/Visa duo) is still a Visa. Now that MBNA is part of the Lloyds Banking group, it make sense for them to offer Mastercard in line with the group offering.

Visa in the UK has now got the monopoly of the Debit Card Market ad it virtually killed off MasterCard’s Maestro.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What's the problem with the 4 providers you list? And why do you want a 'non-bank' card?

It looks strange also to me that someone is particularly looking for non bank CC. Moreover it has to be Visa.

But MBNA is still using Visa.

I know Nationwide CC is still using Visa. But it doesn't meet the OP criteria as it has got to be non bank CC.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    adindas wrote: »
    I know Nationwide CC is still using Visa. But it doesn't meet the OP criteria as it has got to be non bank CC.

Actually it does if you want to be strict about it as Nationwide is not a bank, although it is the closest of the Building Societies to being one.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Barclaycard is the biggest credit card provider by some margin, as I understand it. All the ones currently on offer appear to be Visa cards.

Possibly because of the slightly different name I've never regarded them as a 'bank' card in the way I have with my previous Clydesdale or Bank of Scotland one. They took me over from Egg, so I didn't even apply to them - which may be why I've never associated them like that in my head.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure