Suitable android phone?

My wife is looking at replacing her iPhone 6S with an android. It's a little difficult looking in to it online because it seems everyone wants to steer you towards Samsung's latest top end Galaxy phone when that may or may not be suitable.

She's put off the prices of these top end phones these days BUT with that said if they're the most suitable thing for her then they're the most suitable.

She takes a lot of photos / videos and aside from that it's just browsing - so Google Chrome, various apps, facebook, instagram, pintrest that kind of thing. Nothing that i would imagine would be resource intensive.

The battery couldn't be any worse than the iPhone 6S as that's already not the best. So same or better.

And it also needs to be fairly responsive, like the iPhone 6S is. I say this because i had a cheap Android phone for a few days before sending it back due to the keyboard being laggy as hell making typing totally pointless.

She's currently looking at the Huwei (spelling?) P20 lite amongst others but is really a bit lost as to where to go with it due to so much choice.

Recommendations? Don't want to spend a bomb if she doesn't have to.

Comments

• Kuly
    Kuly Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi JustAnotherSaver,
    I personally would go with a phone that offers Android One. Basically stock Android without any of the bloatware from the likes of Samsung or Sony phones. You also get the latest Androis version soon after release.

The Nokia phones are pretty good although not all of them are Android One. The 6.1 is and I bought that for my daughter for xmas. Great phone and under £200.

Moto also do affordable Android phones with Android One.

Hope that helps.
    Kuly
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I would go for a Huawei rather than a Samsung. I have had both and much prefer the Huawei as it doesn't have as much bloatware and you get more for your money. I have had a P10 lite for 18 months and it's been excellent. The P20 lite will be more powerful.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you want one as responsive as the iphone 6s, why are you thinking of changing it? It's still a very usable and capable phone.

I had the £25 battery replacement last year and the battery lasts a good couple of days now. It's gone up to about £45 now but a third party would do it cheaper.
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

Never heard of Android One. I'll take a look.
    chrisw wrote: »
    If you want one as responsive as the iphone 6s, why are you thinking of changing it? It's still a very usable and capable phone.

I had the £25 battery replacement last year and the battery lasts a good couple of days now. It's gone up to about £45 now but a third party would do it cheaper.

Had the battery replaced in December also. It lasts about a day although i appreciate this depends on how much you use it.

The phone has started glitching anyway. She did this with her iPad. Curry's offered a good price for a trade in for an iPad that was a good few years old and starting to fail - so she traded for a new one.

There's a deal where she'll be given £100 for the phone i think the price is.
    Sure you can get more if you sell on eBay but with so many scammers around it's just a potential headache she doesn't want to take on. Shame that a few spoil it for others but such is life.

But yeah, the phone is starting to glitch. Tried updates, resetting etc but no joy.

And she probably just fancies a change (to Android).
  • Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    It's another recommendation for Huawei from me.

I have a P20 Pro and after 6 months of living with it, I still rate it. Great battery, decent response and the camera setup is still one of the best - although with the model now coming up to a year old even Huawei have managed to create better in their Mate 20 Pro.

The P20 Pro is still quite pricey. Maybe £450 upwards. Moving down the price scale, there are still some decent phones out there but they start losing the fancier cameras, a bit of battery capacity, cheaper screens (although if you see how much it costs to change a screen on 'flagship' models, maybe not a terrible thing) etc. Coming from an iPhone 6 though, you aren't going to be worse off.

The P20 lite has already been mentioned as good value. The new Honor 10 Lite is also a solid contender. But then Honor is another Huawei brand. In a lot of specs the 2 models are similar. Either would probably be suitable.
  • I replaced an iPhone 7 with a Moto e4 for £70. This is meant to be a stopgap as I really would like a 'nice' phone but I'm struggling to justify the extra cost as this phone is just superb for the money and has a headphone jack!
    I would check out the Moto range of phones if I was you. I would think £200 spent on a Moto would be good enough for anyone.
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have an S9. Really love the image and video quality of it. Worth the cost.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If photos/videos are her thing then go for a device with a decent camera ... or at least as good as the 6S. I have a Huawei P9 Lite (had it for a couple of years now), as has DD#2.

Last year we got DD#1 a Huawei P10 Pro - this has a very good camera in it (with a Leica lens as I recall) and DD#1 loves it. Cost was ~£275 in the run up to Xmas 2017 ... not sure if you can still buy the P10 Pro anywhere.
  • Have a look at the OnePlus phones i have a 3 and it does me for the same things your wife wants it for but the oneplus 4 and 5 are good prices at the minute

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/oneplus-5
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kuly wrote: »
    Hi JustAnotherSaver,
    I personally would go with a phone that offers Android One. Basically stock Android without any of the bloatware from the likes of Samsung or Sony phones. You also get the latest Androis version soon after release.

The Nokia phones are pretty good although not all of them are Android One. The 6.1 is and I bought that for my daughter for xmas. Great phone and under £200.

Moto also do affordable Android phones with Android One.

Hope that helps.
    Kuly
    The latest Moto G6 phones are not Android One but they are close to vanillas Android as you can get with a few, quite useful Moto add-ons. I have the Moto G6 Play and would definitely recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure