Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

brizzlegirl
brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 1 April 2018 at 10:19PM in Debt free diaries
So..ladies and gents...it may be time for a new diary. The recent changes to the site seem to have booted me out...and as this place is essential (nay, critical) to my ongoing attempt to be a true frugalista I need to keep the diary posting going....plus of course I'd miss everyone on here. You are all fab and the support is always totally amazing.

If they can sort out the problems then maybe I can still use the old diary...but maybe a new diary is a good thing. The old one was over 6 years old I think...I should have called it something like "to being debt free and back again.." :o but ho hum.

So..we have good jobs, although I am SE, me and OH are in our 40's (great decade I think), have 2 brilliant teenage daughters who bring us deep joy and of course bring some stressy doubts too (don't they all?) and a real pride in our local community. For details of our travels and meanderings to being DF and then being less so, see the old diary -called "LBM in 2003...what have I been doing since??!"

So whats the current story?

We re-mortgaged last year and now have 13 years to go on the mortgage, but its a much better rate and its all based on OH's salary as it was less of a pain than proving all my details etc. But we would like to pay off the mortgage in c.5 years time. Doable. However at the same time we have debts from some big holidays last year, a car which is currently on a lease which we plan to buy at the end of the term (July) (that will be £11k out the door), a lodger who is going in a few months, daughters planning to go off to uni and a need to improve our savings rate. Also as I am SE I also need to think hard about ensuring I can continue in well paid work for as long as I want to..probably the next 8-10 years..then I want to slow down. OH is employed in an industry renowned for freelancers so thats always a good thing.

I am looking at a big 'winding my neck in' (as me and Lucielle were saying a fortnight or so ago) and these are the scores on the doors.

Savings

ISA £12,500 (but S&S so fluctuates a bit) - aim to get it to £20k by Sept 2019 and to £30k by March 2020
Emergency Fund (EF) £250 (wont stop until we get to £20k)
Repairs Fund £880
Tax Fund £3,032

The Big But

So this is it...that we have an OD of £4k and similar amounts of debts on some cards. This didnt exist a few years ago..we got our DF badge and everything :o but clearly my LBM had a malfunction.

Anyroad up..

I reckon the holidays can be paid for by May. So that's my first goal, then the OD, all the time continuing to pay into the EF, ISAs, pensions, maybe the mortgage OP pot and then all the rest. So onwards and upwards :)

Love to you all xx

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,062
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How frustrating that it has locked you out, but happy shiny new diary anyway.
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    Thanks Redo...blooming annoying...but maybe its all for the best :)
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    And in good news...I have found the time (a day off work :)) to bake some sausage rolls from the free Trose magazine this week..yummy they should be too. Lamb and harissa... I have gone off meal plan and am doing chicken carbonara this evening. We will have omelettes another time. And in even better news.. OH has found the leak that has been causing our boiler to lose pressure..and he didn't have to rip up many floorboards..only one :T Stroke of luck really. And a lovely mate has said he will come over shortly and help him fix the thing....deep joy for our wonderful friends.
  • redofromstart
    Forumite
    Lamb and harissa sausage rolls sound excellent, is the recipe online do you know?

Hurrah for the boiler fix.
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    Tried to post a link but was stopped. Just google lamb and harissa rolls

The boiler thing is a massive relief....now to find all the diary subscriptions and re-do them..

x
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello:hello: thought the name sounded vaguely familiar :)
    like it or not still stalking :D
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,446
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    New start for you then Brizzlegirl!! Shame about the logging in problems.

Good news on the boiler fix. Hope you get the overdraft and credit cards cleared quickly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • redofromstart
    Forumite
    Tried to post a link but was stopped. Just google lamb and harissa rolls

x

Of course, the new poster thing.

This one i think. Have everything except the lamb mince so will add that to my 'to try' collection. Thanks
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hello brizzle!:hello: Have followed you over from the other side and subscribed! What a shame about old your diary though. I was made to change my password the other week. Something about posting one thousand and blah times so have to change it.......

Clever old hubby in finding the leak. :j to lovely, helpful friend!

Have a good evening!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    Thanks SSG, ES and NOA for stopping by.. :T lovely to have friends for the journey!

Our dear friend is a marvel. Second time he has helped us in less than a year. So no cost other than the original call out last week, £120 (time and a part) and all paid for from Repairs fund ,....I was worried we would need a new boiler. This is great news. Especially as a yellow warning as to a chance of snow is heading our way. This morning the chickens stayed in their coop until the every last minute..never a good sign!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback