PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd second the advice about reproofing, makes a big difference. Also that Aldie jacket isn't Goretex so might trap sweat inside whereas if the Burghouse is Goretex, reproofing doesn't damage the breatheability.

Mine is literally fraying in places but I looked at the price of a new one in the sale and thought a blue felt tip to cover up the fray marks would do for now!!:eek:

However I have fallen off the not buying waggon and have splurged on a pair of Rohan roamers and I LOVE them. They are so comfortable and they fit quite generously - my problem is a very disproportionately thick waist so anything that fits hips and thighs cuts me in half at the waist but these are great. I could see myself wearing them as everyday trousers instead of jeans, although they are a bit noisy when you walk IYSWIM

Funny, they have stretch in them but that doesn't bother me whereas I HATE jeans with stretch. Probably because the stretch is there to make it seem as if they are well cut and fit whereas after half an hour they sag and bag. And you can't get any jeans without stretch now
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 September 2017 at 2:10PM
    That's interesting GQ. Our dryer actually has a programme specially for outdoor wear, but the man in the shop said to tumble it on Low temp "but only for 10 minutes", so that's what I did. I didn't hear him say the heat activated the re-proofer, but OH reckons he might have done.so perhaps I just missed that bit :)

EDIT The website, and the label on the bottle, say the garment can just be air-dried after using the re-proofer. Heat from a dryer not necessary :)
  • maryb
    Looking again at Ald* they have women's waterproof jackets which say they are breathable but the colours are a sickly bright pink or a sickly bright light blue
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    Ivyleaf, I seem to remember I dried my jacket out on the line after reproofing and it was fine. You could always use a hairdryer - that's what I do when I rewax my old Barbour
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    Ivyleaf, I seem to remember I dried my jacket out on the line after reproofing and it was fine. You could always use a hairdryer - that's what I do when I rewax my old Barbour

That's a clever idea :) :T

I tumbled them for 10 minutes (was doing OH's as well) and then they went on the line to finish off.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Husband ran a batch of waterproofs through the washing machine after the camping holiday added mud splodges & tarned a Cold Shoulder on various of us.

They're now crisply water repellent again & looking splendid (he takes a fine comb to the Velcro, cleaning out all stray fibres) so we'll be clean, smart & properly proofed for school, sixth form & the office....

Now to chivvy the lads into doing their boots... (Selling point bring dry feet as usual.)
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 September 2017 at 5:13PM
    Can I just let you know that Nikwax have a competition thing on their website. If you get the questions right (there are clues) they send you a free sample of something - often wash/proof stuff. I rarely have to buy any. At least they did - I haven't been on it for a bit. You can do it every so often as they have a return time limit.

Hope this may help.

Edit - just checked - look under "samples" for the quiz
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I haven't got an outside line or a hairdryer so I think I'll just go with the plan and ask if I can use Mum's tumbler. Will next be over there in about 6 weeks, so will ask nearer the time.

DigForVictory, I thought I was a bit OTT in combing out the velcro but it's good to know that I'm not alone in this.

Just referred to my clothing inventory (a Word doc) and I bought the jacket in August 2011. Shamefully, although it is in constant use, it's never been washed (:o) so well overdue for a spruce-and-proof. After all, I paid £42.50 for that garment (on sale) and I need to get my money's worth.

I am a fan of Rohan clothing and own several pieces bought on sale and one pair of trews which I was delighted to find in TK Maxximus years ago (I keep my eye out for more but have never been so lucky) although I did get a pair of their 'bags' in the Everything 50p Chazzer last year. Gawd, how I love that store, let me count the ways........ :rotfl:

It's good stuff, lasts forever, and if you can get it at a sweet price, what's not to like?

I have been gardening this aft and have picked more runner beans. I have so many that the freezer is full, Mum's freezer is full, friends' freezers are full - I'm considering salting some of them down, which would be a first for me. Anyone done this, could offer advice, please?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jamanda wrote: »
    Can I just let you know that Nikwax have a competition thing on their website. If you get the questions right (there are clues) they send you a free sample of something - often wash/proof stuff. I rarely have to buy any. At least they did - I haven't been on it for a bit. You can do it every so often as they have a return time limit.

Hope this may help.

Edit - just checked - look under "samples" for the quiz
    :) Thanks for that, I've just bookmarked the page. The quiz prize is a product for washing base layers atm, which isn't something I have a use for, but I'll keep an eye and see if the product changes and I can score the washing or proofing product at some point.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Don't, I've tried and could NEVER get all the salt out and make them edible afterwards.....However, they DO dehydrate very nicely if you know anyone with a dehydrator and reconstitute well after a good soak.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure