PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Airthrey
    Airthrey Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've another £33.50 to add to my total. Having yet another cold and not going out has reined in my spending. No alcohol either this time. I was going to stock up a bit this month but don't think I've got the energy. I'm sure I'll make up for it later. Signature updated.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Needed milk a couple of other bits came to £6.49

Went through the freezer and found 6 packs of free-range chicken so won't be buying that for a few weeks. I'm hoping the next shop will be smaller.

This week (ends Friday) £82.69/£85
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    A few odd spends last week, need to catch up on what’s what and add to total..

I started a new job, its with Sainsbobs so, after the probationary period I will gain a discount, this will be very useful for the household :T
    On a slightly different note, picked up some flea treatment from the vet :eek::eek: couldn’t believe how much it had shot up in price.. :eek: Very glad I keep the cats health stuff on a separate budget :D
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    63p spent last night in work at last markdown - two punnets of grapes and a pizza.

Have to wait for a new debit card, so it's saved me from myself, as i would have done an Ocado order by now probably. Obviously, i've managed without, so can manage til the new card comes.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I will be cheeky and not add today's trip snacks to my grocery challenge as that would put me over my budget spent £8 on coffee and a meal deal. Not OK. Was tired and stressed and hour train journey back from London and one hour car journey on top of that. The £8 in parking at least I will get back.
    Will have a go at meal planning tomorrow night.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • dollypeeps
    dollypeeps Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm loving this thread ...

I haven't given myself a limit or challenge yet as I'd onky subscribed mid month but I've started to keep a spend diary., some thing I'd never done before ... And wow .....you don't realise what you spend do you?!?!

I've obviously had a budget in mind previously but it never seems to really work, whether it was not enough or eve too much encouraging me to spend!!! Writing it down sure makes its clearer.
    I think I do this for another few weeks and then use our current figures to see if I can stick to them .....writing things down is giving me a clearer idea of what we need when.....
    I'm not looking to cut the budget so much as to stay within it. I think £60-70 per week for 4 adults for all meals is reasonable.
    I'm also on a quest for zero waste too but who knew that even doing that seems to add up!!!
    Grocery spends £193.44/ £70 per week or £303 per month
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's hard when you start isn't it Dollypeeps?

I'm never sure what I should include. Tonight, for example, I take my DD to play pool and she has a meal. Nothing flash and the meal and drinks come to just under £10. I don't include this is my budget although it looks as though others do. I guess it's just what suits. my biggest waste is buying snacks out but I'm curbing that at the moment. My budget is £85 for 2 adults, 1 adult that buys some meals and eats out a fair bit and then a teen and a tween.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    yesterday we went to Bristol Zoo

Ooh I'm Bristol too! North Bristol (South Glos), but still!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Ooh I'm Bristol too! North Bristol (South Glos), but still!!

*Waves* We're in Weston-Super-Mare, but obviously close enough! We love the zoo! :D
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Spent £6.51 in Lidl this morning. Milk (needed), Pot Noodle (cos I was disorganised and forgot to bring lunch with me), crème eggs, mini eggs and crisps (cos I'm weak and had a bad morning - bad sleep, cold just starting and a wilful toddler who didn't want to eat her toast, didn't want to brush her teeth and didn't want to get dressed! Argh!!).

So, I'm over! £301.71/£300

So the plan is to try and spend nothing more between now and payday (Tuesday). Beef and Ale stew in the slow cooker for tonight. Tomorrow I think I'll do pizzas. I made some dough, and froze it in portions at the weekend, there is mozzarella and cheddar cheese in the fridge, sliced chicken and peppers in the freezer and onions on the side, and some pepperami that can be sliced up and added to DH's one. And I have the ingredients to make a pizza sauce. So, I'll make the sauce tonight, ready for tomorrow. There's also still a 750g pack of minced beef in the freezer, so I'll lift that out tonight, ready to make a batch of cottage pie that we can have on Friday night. There is still a few portions of spag bol and garlic bread and pasta in, so we can have that on Saturday. Plenty of bread in for sandwiches, beans on toast, and soups. And still some chicken breasts in the freezer too. As well as a few sausages, chips, veggies etc.

I can do this!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family