How does verisure send the photos to police during a detected burglary?

Options
I had a verisure sales rep coming in to demo their security system. One of the things he mentioned was that their PIR sensors have cameras fitted that their remote monitoring station can activate to take photos. They activate these cameras when the alarm goes off to take photos of the burglars in your house. The sales guy told me that they send these photos to the police as an additional confirmation of an ongoing burglary which helps with the police response.

I am wondering how do they do that? Do they have a special line with the police where they send these photos? I was under the impression that, like everybody else, they would be calling 999/101 which is just a telephone line and cannot accept photos. Or do they just tell verbally that they have photographic proof of an ongoing burglary?

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like it works by GSM/mobile data. So it'd use its own 'mobile phone' connection to send the photos somewhere. If it's anything like ADT, there's a monitoring centre where they review the alarm and probably the photos and then contact the police. ADT have said directly in the past that the police will only come out if there's availability. With all the cutbacks, there's no guarantee that police will be available at the time of the burglary.
  • sam.ssrs
    sam.ssrs Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    Looks like it works by GSM/mobile data. So it'd use its own 'mobile phone' connection to send the photos somewhere. If it's anything like ADT, there's a monitoring centre where they review the alarm and probably the photos and then contact the police.

That is what I meant - someoen in the monitoring centre looks at the photos and calls the police. This is no different from me calling the police if I know for sure that burglary is going on but I do not have any photos of the onging burglary.

Just trying to understand (1) Verisure mis-selling that they send the photos to police (2) photos add any more security than an alarm does
  • Rusty_Shackleton
    Options
    I had a verisure sales rep coming in to demo their security system. One of the things he mentioned was that their PIR sensors have cameras fitted that their remote monitoring station can activate to take photos.

Just wow. They tell you they'll put CCTV cameras up inside your house, that will remotely transmit photos to their control centre... and they think this is a selling point? They're aware 1984 wasn't meant to be an instruction manual right?

Who in their right mind would put cameras up inside their own house that can accessed remotely? It's not like things like video baby monitors have been shown to be vulnerable to hacking, with video feeds broadcast online. If there's an online market to watch other peoples babies sleeping (*shudder*), just think of the market for watching people going about their daily lives!
  • sam.ssrs
    sam.ssrs Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Just wow. They tell you they'll put CCTV cameras up inside your house, that will remotely transmit photos to their control centre... and they think this is a selling point? They're aware 1984 wasn't meant to be an instruction manual right?

Who in their right mind would put cameras up inside their own house that can accessed remotely? It's not like things like video baby monitors have been shown to be vulnerable to hacking, with video feeds broadcast online. If there's an online market to watch other peoples babies sleeping (*shudder*), just think of the market for watching people going about their daily lives!

I never thought of that aspect to be honest. It is possible that these cameras can be activated only when the alarm goes off.
  • Rusty_Shackleton
    Options
    and the webcam on your laptop is supposed to only come on when you tell it to. Yet Mark Zuckerberg puts tape over his webcam (as do many, many others).

Make of that what you will!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will email them to the force.control@whateverfoce.pnn.police.uk address.

They'll sit in their inbox until someone takes a look. That's the only quick way they can do it and are relying on staff at the other end receiving it when they have other priorities.
  • ironmanjason
    Options
    and the webcam on your laptop is supposed to only come on when you tell it to. Yet Mark Zuckerberg puts tape over his webcam (as do many, many others).

Make of that what you will!

you are right no device which is connected to the internet is safe tbh but you can be proactive. with verisure who i had a demo with too i noticed there is a latch in the camera which if closed will disable the camera..

but the same argument goes for smart home devices like alexa or google home. never know when they are listening in the background.

Make £2019 in 2019 Challenge - £272.48/£2019
  • bigstevex
    bigstevex Posts: 913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Monitored alarms are almost useless now as has been said due to cutbacks, police will not attend when they are busy unless a threat to life exists. You should look at more prevention/deterrent methods. You can buy other self fitted/none subscription alarms which alert your phone via your wifi network

quick example of deterrents
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/former-burglars-barking-dogs-cctv-best-deterrent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure