Renting a New Build - Do I need to fix cracks

Hi all,

I am currently renting a new build, I am the first tenant and the house has a lot of settling cracks, above and around doors, stairs, windows etc.

My question is, the landlord understands settling/shrinkage will occur but am I responsible for filling and painting over all cracks or is the landlord?

Who is responsible? 12 votes

Me
0% 0 votes
The Landlord
100% 12 votes

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Landlord. But wait til the end of defects period (usually 1 year)
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    HampshireH wrote: »
    Landlord. But wait til the end of defects period (usually 1 year)

The builder will be responsible to the owner of the building for repairing the cracks during the defects period (usually one year). After that it will be up to whoever does the decorating.
  • I would let the LL know, as they will need to inform the builder about the settlement before the end of the defects period to get it repaired by them.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Welcome to MSE. :)

The tenant is not responsible for repairs to a rented property unless they caused the damage. The tenant IS responsible for reporting all problems with the property to the landlord or their agent in a timely manner.

Where possible report in writing (letter or e-mail) and keep a copy in case of later dispute.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You also need to know however the LL doesn't need to do anything with cosmetic damage.

The LL has to provide a property that is wind and water tight with heating, hot water for bathing and cooking facilities. Any decor related issues is not a priority the council will care about.
  • KLNMSoftly
    KLNMSoftly Posts: 18 Forumite
    100% the landlord but save yourself the headache and let the landlord know ahead of time. Also, do you have any 'before' pictures? If not at least take some now in case they continue to get worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure