NatWest frozen account

I called into NatWest last week to ask them about my acc. I had the letters from the OR saying release any funds etc and as I only have a basic account was assured that all would be ok. no overdraft, no contactless etc but today find that the accounts is blocked. I will call in tomorrow and speak to them but worried I will be met with someone who is not clued up or high up enough to give me proper advice as my wages get paid into the account next week and direct debits etc. as I have a copy of the letter sent to NatWest do you think that it will be unfrozen straight away or should I spend's tomorrow lunch time opening up a new acc elsewhere?

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It is frustrating that so few staff in any bank have a clue what will happen if someone goes BR. Sometimes they follow the advice given by HQ and sometimes they make it up as they go along - and it fails anyway.

I would do both - open a new basic (Nationwide Flexbasic or flexdirect is good or a Barclays Basic.) Its always handy to have a 2nd account in these days of I.T. outages etc.

I would also take a copy of the OR's letter to your own Nat West Branch and see if they can help you out in branch.
  • broaps
    broaps Posts: 97
    First Anniversary
    Forumite

I would do both - open a new basic (Nationwide Flexbasic or flexdirect is good or a Barclays Basic.) Its always handy to have a 2nd account in these days of I.T. outages etc.

Just thought I would point out that these days Nationwide will only allow a Flexbasic for BRs. I had a flexdirect - no overdraft etc - but they changed it to basic after my BR. The only difference I have found with the Flexbasic is that it seems to check that the funds are there every time I buy something, even something low value bought contactless, so it might not work for offline purchases such as on a plane.

I'll let you know next time I can afford to fly somewhere!
  • Hi

My Natwest account was not of interest by OR. Natwest froze it for a few days whilst they sent me a new card and pin. Same account number etc just changed to basic with no contactless.

Hope that helps.
    L
  • stevelo
    stevelo Posts: 38
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    update they froze my acc. I went in and was given a number to ring. spoke to them emailed them a copy of the letter from the OR and they unfroze the acc. sent me a new card etc. all was fine but today is payday and boom froze again. I rang them back and they said it was an error and would unfreeze it. panic over all seems ok......for now. I found the staff at the branch both unhelpful and un-knowledagable as well .
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Glad it worked out. I feel for the branch staff - they are not trying to be bad - I just don't understand how banks can let their staff be so clueless on such an important issue. It doesn't fill you with confidence that they are well informed on any other matters either.

3 years after my BR I lost a family member and received a small inheritance. I went to the bank to withdraw some cash and the cashier spent 20 mins (with the queue behind me growing ever longer) phoning everyone she could think of to see if she was allowed to give me the cash!! I was furious and made a complaint to the manager - He apologised and conceded even he had had to try and get support from Head Office as he didn't know the rules either.

Re broaps and Nationwide, I opened an Flexdirect 2 weeks after my BR - never had a problem with it - 'these days' things don't change as often as you think...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure