Using my wife's Personal Savings Allowance

Options
gwapenut
gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
My understanding is that, because there is no IHT between husband and wife, I am able to gift some of my savings to my wife to make use of her 0% tax band for up to £1000 of savings interest (and premium bonds). She can later, if she chooses, gift some or all of those savings back to me?

Is this common practice and legal?

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    You cannot make use of either of her 0% savings rate bands (upto £5,000 savings starter rate or upto £1,000 savings nil rate).

If you gift her the money it is her money.

She could gift it back to you later. Or she could gift to her favourite charity. It's her to do with as she wants.

Sure someone more knowledgeable will comment on the legality in due course.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may give your wife whatever you wish.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts

This will be an outright gift and she can do whatever she wishes with it.

It makes sense for spouses to divide their assets in such a way as to make maximum use of any allowances available, especially if one spouse is a non taxpayer or pays tax at a lower rate than the other.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/751643/Save-tax-10-reduce-pay-HMRC
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2019 at 8:00PM
    Options
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far, interesting about the settlements trap.

Maybe a less dodgy way than gifting, especially if the gift were returned at a later date, is to open a joint savings account and we both put money in there (more from me), and then the interest is divided equally between us and our tax returns?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gwapenut wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, interesting about the settlements trap.

Maybe a less dodgy way than gifting, especially if the gift were returned at a later date, is to open a joint savings account and we both put money in there (more from me), and then the interest is divided equally between us and our tax returns?

Yes. They can't easily bust a 50/50 arrangement - yet.

HMRC are keener and keener on trying to trap those doing anything which is solely for the purpose of reducing their tax take. In particular they make more and more effort to confuse tax avoidance and tax evasion. The baskets !
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really do not see how a husband giving his wife some money can be accounted a settlement caught by the rules discussed above.

It makes absolutely no sense for a husband to be paying tax on savings interest when he can give his wife some cash, reduce his own liability to tax and enable her to benefit.

As for premium bonds, you cannot gift another person your premium bonds and any prize income is tax free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure