Kitchen, fitting only

Options
I've been looking for someone to fit a new kitchen in my home. I've sourced all the units, worktops, doors, integrated appliances etc myself as I couldn't find what I wanted from any of the usual sheds (or at least not for a reasonable price). Base units and some of the doors come from diy-kitchens.com.

I've been having problems finding anyone to fit only, most will only fit kitchens from one of the major suppliers.

Work consists of fitting three wall units together with doors etc, seven base units, an integrated undercounter fridge and dishwasher plus oven. One wall and one base unit will need to be cut out at the back to accommodate a boxed in soil pipe. About 4.5m of compact laminate worktop with undermount sink, drainage grooves cut and hob fitted. About 1.5 square metres of mosaic tile splashback, and extractor fitted.

I'll remove the old kitchen, redo the plumbing myself and have the electrics redone by an electrician first, plus connect up the sink myself afterwards.

Been quoted £2800. Reasonable? I'm located in Bath.
Solar install June 2022, Bath
4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody has answered you yet.

Those that will only fit kitchens from one of the major suppliers work this way as they get a trade discount on the purchase, but this goes into their pockets, it isn't passed on to the customer.

I would image Bath prices are not so different to those in London but the cost does sound a bit ott.

I'm not sure how many days work you think it is involved but if it's 10 days then that works out at £280 per day but of course if it's for more than one person it's not so bad at all. I know of a multi skilled tradesman, a one man band who fits kitchens, bathrooms etc & charges around £170 per day.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the fitter is really good, then I would say it is a fair quote. There is quite a bit of work in the quote, and they should have priced in some contingency because they are working with materials of unknown quality. (I'm sure they are fine, but the fitter will have to cope if they are not.)

Have you seen other kitchens they have fitted? If they are charging a top price, they should be prepared to call a previous customer for you talk to and, ideally, visit so you can see the finish.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I thought it was on the high side as a first impression, but not outrageously so. I don't think prices should be as high as in London as only really the centre of Bath is very expensive and fitters will cover the Bristol, Keynsham, Radstock, Chippenham etc areas too where living costs are not nearly as high as in London.

I haven't seen any kitchens they have fitted as I've not got that far in the process.

I did our bathroom myself, tiling, fitting the bath, shower, towel radiator, a counter top that I cut out for the hand basin etc so I think I have a good idea of the amount of work. The only thing I haven't done and don't have the tools or experience for is neatly cutting out a worktop for an undermount sink or cutting draining grooves.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport