Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 3,014Posts
    • 24,984Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Tales from The Shire
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Tales from The Shire 19th Jul 17 at 10:11 AM
    Tales from the Shire

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    J R R Tolkein

After many happy years in the Garden of England we have started a new adventure in The Shire. Although still reeling from the stress and upheaval of the house move, we can see the potential for a wonderful home and life here. It's going to be amazing!

There is much to do and, as with any great journey, company is much appreciated. So I hope my forum friends will join me on the road.

A new chapter (and diary) has begun.

Fortune x

For those who are interested in how we got to be here, my previous diaries can be found at:

Two Pennies Left - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4068401
    The New Adventures of Fortune - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5605109
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 04-05-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Mortgage: 10% paid Overpayments 2019: 1119.02 Emergency Fund: 66% Car Loan Remaining: 0%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
Page 54
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Feb 19, 6:28 PM
    • 61,757 Posts
    • 264,590 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you have had a lovely day.
    One for the memory bank
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Feb 19, 11:16 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 34,142 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Sounds like a heavenly day
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £69,800.27, target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £447.27 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 10lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Feb 19, 8:36 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sounds like a heavenly day
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Glad that you have had a lovely day.
    One for the memory bank
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks guys. It was a fabulous day and we come feeling rested and revived.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 10% paid Overpayments 2019: 1119.02 Emergency Fund: 66% Car Loan Remaining: 0%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Feb 19, 9:05 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Sold!
    Mr F and I have spent the day getting him ready for his next overseas trip... oh, and selling my car

One of the forums we'd originally posted the car details to 'featured' it. We had three messages in the space of twenty minutes last night from 'very interested' persons. We arranged a viewing for the guy who was first to contact us and have come to an arrangement. He'll be picking the car up a week Tuesday The money's not in the bank yet of course, however, if all goes to plan we'll be able to repay the new car loan and the emergency fund. If the sale falls through for whatever reason we are in contact with two to three other potential buyers.

It will be lovely to have the budget back to normal. Servicing the car loan has been making me feel very poor

Hope you've all had a lucrative weekend too

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 20th Feb 19, 7:46 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Srub a Dub Dub
    This week I have mostly been cleaning My niece is visiting this weekend and I've let the housework slip a little I should have enough time to get things straight then I can relax and enjoy the days out I've planned for her. I'm really looking forward to seeing her.

FDawg is going into kennels Saturday so I don't have to worry about leaving him alone.

Our car buyer has paid a deposit and is celebrating all over social media so I think I can count those chickens It will be good to have the finances straight again.

There's no interest in the Annex yet but I suppose it's early days. We've asked all our FB friends to share the listing and lots have I will have to think about other marketing means.

Right, duster at the ready

Fortune x

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Feb 19, 9:05 AM
    • 8,611 Posts
    • 43,794 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Good news about the car Fortune! And you don't fancy popping round and sorting my house out while you're at it do you?? Shocking mess we're in here at the minute what with the chickens living in my study, bedding being trampled everywhere, Mr Cheery in workman mode and me trying to work at the kitchen table in the middle of it all

Have fun with your niece What are you planning to get up to?
    Mortgage overpayments £1200 in 2018, £153.58 in 2019
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 21st Feb 19, 3:38 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Good news about the car Fortune! And you don't fancy popping round and sorting my house out while you're at it do you?? Shocking mess we're in here at the minute what with the chickens living in my study, bedding being trampled everywhere, Mr Cheery in workman mode and me trying to work at the kitchen table in the middle of it all

Have fun with your niece What are you planning to get up to?
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Not sure I could face cleaning a third house Cheery Next week I'm planning to start a spring clean of the annex. It's not too bad but it needs to be squeaky clean if we're going to put guests in it. Your house guests don't sound very tidy at all

I'll be showing niece a few of the sights - a couple of venues I've been to before and a new one. It helps here if the weather is good as there are a lot of outdoor things to do.

Fortune x

• greent
    • By greent 21st Feb 19, 5:30 PM
    • 7,902 Posts
    • 80,445 Thanks
    greent
    Fab news re car!! : - hoorah that budgets/ EF/ car loan will all be sorted again!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Mar 19, 7:06 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Fab news re car!! : - hoorah that budgets/ EF/ car loan will all be sorted again!
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thank you GreenT. I think all should balance by end of April.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 4th Mar 19, 7:31 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Quick Review
    I've lost track a little bit so I think it's time for a goal review:

HEALTH
    • I'm still going to yoga once a week and really enjoying it. I've also found a local Zumba class. I've been looking for one for ages as I really enjoy Zumba. I'm planning to go to my first class tonight
    • although I walk FDawg twice a day every day the duration is very weather dependent. The recent warm weather meant we got some extra outdoor time but now the wind and rain is back we've been out less. He has had a couple of further afield adventures
    • I lapsed on avoiding sugar in my diet but have been back with it for the last week. Prompted by a sudden double-boob situation in my yoga wear

WEALTH
    • I've started a spring clean of the Annex although haven't got very far with it No bookings as yet
    • the new car has developed a fault but, as it's still under warranty the repair won't cost us anything. My old car has sold and the money is sitting in the bank account waiting for Mr F to get home so we can clear the loan. It's in his name so I can't request a settlement figure
    • Mr F is home at the weekend and we plan to get out in the garden. He'll be mowing and I'll be pruning and planting some veg

HAPPINESS
    • The first local girlie night took place and was a great success so I need to organise the next one now. There have been a few other social events too. We've had our first visitors this year and are expecting other guests in March and April
    • Mr F has been away with work most of the year so far and we're not expecting things to calm down until April. We are intending to continue to plan the weekends he is home so that we get some days out.

Despite Mr F being away I've had a very busy couple of weeks and been out almost every day. Today I have a day at home which I'm using to get my head straight - I've written my To Do List for the day already

Happy Monday folks

Fortune x

• kaycastle
    • By kaycastle 4th Mar 19, 8:19 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    kaycastle
    I was instantly attracted by the title of your diary we often refer to our home as our hobbit hole.

Happy Monday to you too and good luck on your to do list. What veg you planting? I was really hoping to do lots of veg garden things this weekend but the weather was terrible.
    I can't wait to have tomatos again this year, it's a massive cost saving as I gobble so many.
    Starting mortgage Oct 2017: £228,041.09 (2 years fixed @1.74%)
    Current mortgage Feb 2019: £215,765.98
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Mar 19, 11:37 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I was instantly attracted by the title of your diary we often refer to our home as our hobbit hole.

Happy Monday to you too and good luck on your to do list. What veg you planting? I was really hoping to do lots of veg garden things this weekend but the weather was terrible.
    I can't wait to have tomatos again this year, it's a massive cost saving as I gobble so many.
    Originally posted by kaycastle
    Hello KC and thanks for dropping by. 'Hobbit hole' makes me think of cosy hearths and second breakfasts

I'm starting with broad beans and parsnips this year - neither of which I've tried before. And then anything we enjoy eating. Wish me luck.

Hope you have a successful tomato year

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 5th Mar 19, 12:00 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Eat to Live
    In line with my health goal this year I have reviewed my diet. It's not all bad as I cook from scratch and am largely vegetarian. However, it's a bit heavy on dairy and sugar so I've started to make some changes. I want to move to a largely plant based, whole food diet and avoid added sugar.

So far, so good and after just 5 days I am started to feel the benefits:
    • I've lost 5lbs Without restricting the amounts I'm eating or being hungry
    • I seem to have more energy and am more motivated to do things
    • I've slept better and haven't woken up at my usual 5.00 am for the last two days
    • my cough (asthma related) has lessened
    • heartburn, which I've been suffering from for a year or so, has become a stranger.

I'm not intending to be fanatical about it but hope to get an 80/20 balance. Mr F is on board so that will help. I have stuff in the fridge which I'll use up so it will be a gradual move toward better food.

I got some chores done yesterday including a deep clean of the annex bedroom And, I went to the Zumba class. I had to keep things low impact as I wasn't sure how my hip would respond. It felt a little sore during the class but seems fine today. I have yoga tomorrow so will see how it feels after that and, if I'm ok, may go to the next class which is on Thursday.

Shrove Tuesday today so I will look for a whole food recipe although a little maple syrup may be had.

Happy flipping

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 05-03-2019 at 12:34 PM.

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 6th Mar 19, 7:26 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Close call
    Today has been a productive day if not the one I planned. I skipped yoga to spend the time with Mr F. He is exhausted from his travels, still suffering from a bug he picked up weeks ago, sleep deprived and feeling very low. He needs some tlc

It was lucky I decided to stay home. On Sunday I'd ordered some oil from The 0i1 C1u8. I'd deliberated a bit as the gauge on our tank was showing we had quite a bit left, but the price was good and I decided to take advantage of it. Thank goodness I did! When the delivery driver arrived he looked in the tank and told me it was only 1% full Apparently there is a little valve on the gauge you have to pull out to get an accurate reading. Who knew! The previous owner had told us that she didn't trust the gauge and I'd noticed that it didn't seem to move much. So now we know why Anyhoo, the driver called the office and was able to double my order to fill the tank a bit. It was a close call though. If the tank had run out lots of sludge would have been dragged through the heating system and we'd have had to get it cleaned out. I've marked the 500 and 1000 litre levels on the gauge now so we won't have the same problem in the future.

Apart from taking care of Mr F I have spent the day talking to workmen. The last two storms have hit us hard and we have damage to our roof and now think the log burner chimney may have dropped. A couple of guys came round to quote for the roof and I've gone with the one who I felt most confident about. He should be able to do the work at the end of next week. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we don't get any more storms in the meantime. He also gave me an idea of costs for repairing our drive which will be our next big project and our patio which we'll do this year if we can stretch to it. I also found out that our new front gate is ready but am in discussion with Gate Man as he's asking us for more money. We've paid a significant deposit and were expecting the gate posts to be installed before the gate was manufactured. Apparently he changed his mind about the order of work but neglected to tell us. I don't think there'll be a problem but I'd like to see the gate in situ before I pay anything further.

Healthy eating is going well, meals yesterday and today were:
    • Kiwi, Ginger & Banana Smoothie made with almond milk rather than cows' milk and yoghurt
    • Chana Masala with wholegrain rice
    • Spaghetti with Leeks, Peas, Bacon & Lemon. I used wholewheat spaghetti and, as I didn't have any creme fraiche, used a little mascarpone instead and halved the parmesan
    • Versatile Vegetable Soup made with onion, carrots and sweet potatoes. This is a 'go to' recipe for me as it really is so versatile and I can use up any sulky veg lurking at the bottom of the fridge. We had a couple of slices of wholemeal bread with it spread with a little butter.

So a little meat and dairy but I'm being frugal with the measures.

Mr F has taken himself off to bed poor love. He really is worn out. I'm hoping some nutritious food and a good night's sleep will sort him out.

Night all

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 06-03-2019 at 7:29 PM.

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 9th Mar 19, 1:58 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Debt free!
    We have paid off the new car loan So are debt free again. Do I get a badge? We had a little debt when I first joined the forum years ago but I didn't get a badge when that was cleared. I feel deprived

So finances are back to where they should be

My new car went back to the garage yesterday to get a fault fixed and some rear mudflaps fitted. They also changed the wiper blades for me as I'd noticed my windscreen was getting very smeary when it rained. No cost as it was all covered under the warranty.

I met up with former lodger friend whilst waiting for the car to be fixed. We had some lunch and a good catch up. Costs will be met from personal spends.

Healthy eating continues with Veggie Shepherds Pie with Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Almonds. I added a few potatoes to the topping as I find it a little wet otherwise. Lunch today was a salad of Batvia lettuce, watercress, pea shoots, quinoa, roasted beetroot and feta with a lemon dressing.

Mr F has been out for a little social with some other veterans this morning and is now outside doing garden jobs. He does seem to be recovering from his travels little by little.

I have been taking photos for Baying purposes and then have the ironing pile to look forward to At least it's warm and dry in the house - it's horrid outside!

I am still benefiting from the extra fruit and veg and see little improvements every day to the quality of my sleep and energy levels. I've now lost 6lbs I'm hoping it will help Mr F to properly kick the virus he picked up in January.

We'd planned a trip out tomorrow but the weather forecast is dire. Might be a day for staying cosy in front of the telly I think.

Enjoy the weekend all

Fortune x

• greent
    • By greent 11th Mar 19, 7:59 PM
    • 7,902 Posts
    • 80,445 Thanks
    greent
    There's a thread on the DFW forum to post being DF on, I think - you *should* then get a badge when MSEBadger next runs through it, I believe...
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Mar 19, 7:02 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    There's a thread on the DFW forum to post being DF on, I think - you *should* then get a badge when MSEBadger next runs through it, I believe...
    x
    Originally posted by greent
    Thanks GreenT - I'll take a look.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Mar 19, 7:52 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 24,984 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Alone again
    ...well except for FDawg. Mr F is off on another overseas business trip but at least this one is in Europe and only until Thursday. His sleeping patterns had improved by the time he left so that's something.

My veg box arrived on Friday bolstered by all sorts of green and healthy additions. We've had Beetroot, Feta & Grain Salad, Venetian-Style Pasta (not my favourite so probably won't cook again), a Cheese Salad Sandwich (packed lunch) and Sausage Noodle Stir-fry made with purple sprouting broccoli rather than sugar snap peas. There was enough stir fry left over for two suppers whilst Mr F is away and I'm intending lots of salad lunches until he gets back.

We had a day out in Mr F's truck on Sunday and went to a local reservoir. It was stunning despite the wind and hail although we only left the truck to give FDawg a couple of short walks and to have a quick look around the visitors' centre. We took a packed lunch and ate it in the truck looking over the reservoir

A little more work has been done in the Annex and I plan to do a little more today. I ordered some more of the things we need to get it up and running and I'm still within budget so far. The issue with the front gate may be resolved and I'm hoping we can go and see it at the weekend.

It was WI last night but I skipped my usual cocktail in favour of some water. Indulged in two smoked salmon canapes and a slice of banana and raisin bread spread with butter. Both were delicious and in line with my 80/20 approach. Cheaper too as the refreshments were provided by another member and water is much cheaper than cocktails... no surprise there

Better sign off as FDawg is due his walk soon and he doesn't let me forget

Have a great day

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,603Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin