Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s a nice ‘problem’ to have, isn’t it.

They have a huge building programme underway, so it will resolve itself, and the newer larger stores are as good as any of those of their competitors.

Still infinitely better than any of the old-style overpriced supermarkets.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 January 2019 at 12:53PM
    Options
    As usual (for January), Aldi have special buy stock of Gullon Sugar-free Biscuits.

This year, it's 400g packs of Digestives for 89p, which I think is the cheapest I have seen them in a long while.

As a comparison, Poundland dropped to the 250g some months ago.

Also, new products at Aldi:-

- Corn Wraps (soft wraps with a distinctly yellow colour).

- Sweet Chilli flavoured wraps (similar, but with a pink hue).

Both 79p for 8.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I don't think it can be a supply problem as such as plenty of e.g. cauli and broccoli in Sainsbury's but none in Aldi.
    Same situation in my local Aldi this l/t. Tesco however had loads of fresh veg, all gleaming happily at me.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I visited Aldi today:.
    . They put the tins far too high on the top shelf. I am 5ft 8.5 and I had to stand on tip toes to get to the tins on the top case. As for the shorter customers, they take tins about halfway on the stack. Which leads to...
    . Having to duck to avoid a case of beans fall on me due to another customer picked a tin of beans half way down then walked away. This made the stack unstable
    . Still same issues of mixed pallet boards of mixer drinks and flavoured waters. One day there will be a customer injured by the pallet falling onto them

Then as I was packing on the shelf, a guy walked down the checkouts and left the store yo his car at the far end of the large car park. He nicked loads of beef and lamb into an Aldi shopper bag. Then about 8 members of staff coming from nowhere followed him to his car and he wasn't in a rush as he put the bag into the boot. Four of the staff blocked him in the parking bay to prevent him going off. The managers were at the front at the car asking him to open the boot and either hand over the meat or go back into the store to pay. He got out of his car, took out the bag from the boot and throw the bag at one of the staff at the back of the car. He then shouted some obscene language and was able to leave. I'm not too sure if that is the right way to deal with this customer.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The managers were at the front at the car asking him to open the boot and either hand over the meat or go back into the store to pay. He got out of his car, took out the bag from the boot and throw the bag at one of the staff at the back of the car. He then shouted some obscene language and was able to leave. I'm not too sure if that is the right way to deal with this customer.

Difficult to call, have you seen the video of thief in supermarket car park running people over to escape from staff, or one where thief gets run over by lorry as he attempts to flee?

No point calling police, it would be next week before they turned up
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Difficult to call, have you seen the video of thief in supermarket car park running people over to escape from staff, or one where thief gets run over by lorry as he attempts to flee?

No point calling police, it would be next week before they turned up

No I haven't.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Same situation in my local Aldi this l/t. Tesco however had loads of fresh veg, all gleaming happily at me.

I have to report a big improvement today. The store looked as if it had a major tidy up. Stock was improved but still not 100%. Still no cauliflowers and very limited mushrooms. They seem to have stopped doing the large punnets of mushrooms but today didn't have any small punnets of closed cup either, just chestnut and portabella.

Tesco is the one store it's not convenient for me to get to but on my rare visits I'm impressed with their veg offers. I think they led the way at Christmas.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Aldi have yogurts on the top shelf of the chilled section, they are mixed variety trays I am 5 foot 6 and I can only just reach them. to find the flavour I want is impossible, there are only 2 facings and even I can only reach the front row. there is no way I could get to the back to sort them out.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    millie wrote: »
    My local Aldi have yogurts on the top shelf of the chilled section, they are mixed variety trays I am 5 foot 6 and I can only just reach them. to find the flavour I want is impossible, there are only 2 facings and even I can only reach the front row. there is no way I could get to the back to sort them out.

My wife’s only 5’2” and just climbs up the shelves. The staff simply watch in amusement.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    My wife’s only 5’2” and just climbs up the shelves. The staff simply watch in amusement.
    I've noticed staff do this in Sainsbury's. It's plain unhygienic, not to mention dangerous.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure