Which professions do you think are overworked/underpaid? Similarly which are well paid?

Options

Comments

• BucksLady
    Options
    redlfc wrote: »

however the 100-150k figures are only for consultants doing private work (naturaly these fields are incredibly competitive and would take additional years of research/audits/publications/ before even being accepted onto one of these specialities) - fully qualified GPs are going to be earning 55-80k

My husband is a GP and for the past 2 years has earnt in excess of £120,000 per annum. However, this was as a Partner in the Practice. The problem today is finding an opportunity to become a Partner - this seems to have become increasingly difficult.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fascinating how the average salary in the UK is £28,000 but the average salary on anonymous internet forums is c. £60,000.
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    Fascinating how the average salary in the UK is £28,000 but the average salary on anonymous internet forums is c. £60,000.

This is true, the vast majority of people do earn under £30k but there's a few earning a lot more who push up the "average" figure.

For example, I live in the north east of the UK, so a very poor area for wages generally. I had a job a few years ago that meant I spoke to clients about their jobs and salaries, the findings were interesting.

I probably met around 100 or so people in those few months and only about 3 or 4 earned over £30k or so. One was an accountant on around £45k, there was a mechanic earning over £100k as he worked for a mining company, so an element of danger. There was a guy who owned his own haulage company earning six figures as well. I know someone who is an electrical engineer contracting on around £70k but other than that almost everyone I know or have come into contact with earns under £30k, but this is the north east!

One of my in-laws was earning over £50k a year back in 2005 working part time in HR.

Met a guy on holiday last year who was a freelance quantity surveyor, charging £950 a day.

Nice work if you can get it.

Contracting in a niche in IT seems to be good for over £100k if you can get into it.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

you're going to get much more disparity on a public forum, just due to the nature of topics discussed.

I'm sure some people exaggerate what they earn, but equally, your talking to a small cross section of society. If you look at the debt free wannabe boards there's very few £40k+ earners, and many NMW/NLW
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Met a guy on holiday last year who was a freelance quantity surveyor, charging £950 a day.

Nice work if you can get it.
    As you say, IF you can get it. He wouldn't have been working every day, and would have been responsible for his own tax, pension, holidays, travel, self-promotion etc. Plus insurance.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Not really, it’s a thread about earnings for professionals, who will earn far more on average than non-professionals.

I know that you were implying that people were lying, but all you’ve really done is shown that you’re not really comfortable with statistics..l
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »
    My husband is a GP and for the past 2 years has earnt in excess of £120,000 per annum. However, this was as a Partner in the Practice. The problem today is finding an opportunity to become a Partner - this seems to have become increasingly difficult.

Yes, because GP's are never going to be looking to 'share their profits' if at all possible - their Practice is a business :).

As a point of interest, one of my sons is a GP in France (married to a French girl) and he's earning less than £50,000. However, he's not concerned about that as job satisfaction is much greater :)
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I know that you were implying that people were lying, but all you’ve really done is shown that you’re not really comfortable with statistics.

It was just a tongue in cheek comment that there seem to be a lot of people here earning very high salaries, and a gentle reminder that, even if everyone is being completely truthful (but they may not be), then at best all this indicates is this is an astoundingly unrepresentative group of people.

The OP is worried about how his salary compares to others. The long and the short of it is, by every measure she's a high earner. Yet if you read through the thread you might mistakenly get the impresison that 40k+ salary are the norm instead of the exception.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No offence but an FY1 is more of a liability than a member of the team. You get a pay increase with every time you prove a skills increase.

The amount of times I've caught an FY1 before they make a huge error is ridiculous and I'm only paid at band 3.
  • Don't_Know_Joe
    Options
    As a junior doctor, you're doing a great, worthwhile, respected job.
    I wouldn't stress too much about how you compare to other professions. Just focus on yourself.
    There's always going to be other people out there earning more than you, doing something else requiring less effort. Similarly, there's people out there working just as hard, if not harder, for far, far less pay with no hope of any career advancement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure