Which professions do you think are overworked/underpaid? Similarly which are well paid?

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2019 at 2:44AM
    I would agree with carers should get a higher salary. For the jobs they do the pay they get is terrible.
    I used to be a healthcare assistant in a hospital though and I earned silly money- when I had to give up my job I was earning somewhere in the region of £17k a year. That was for an unskilled manual job- I have a degree and a Masters and I can only dream of getting anywhere near that now sadly. The basic junior doctor wage is very sobering though that you mention- my OH is a postie and he earns more than that!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    You will have a higher earning potential than some, so a few years down the line it will be worth it to have accumulated your student loan.

Although not sure why you are whining, you would have known the salary bands before starting your studies. A bit late to moan now.
  • Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I would agree with carers should get a higher salary. For the jobs they do the pay they get is terrible.
    I used to be a healthcare assistant in a hospital though and I earned silly money- when I had to give up my job I was earning somewhere in the region of £17k a year. That was for an unskilled manual job- I have a degree and a Masters and I can only dream of getting anywhere near that now sadly. The basic junior doctor wage is very sobering though that you mention- my OH is a postie and he earns more than that!

I don't think that's silly money for the value of that job, and at the time that would have been the top of the band I assume? So it took you about 7 years to get up there starting from a much lower salary?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could argue that no job is over or under paid, every job is paid exactly what it's worth. Market forces and all that.

I can think of 3 reasons why medicine is relatively poorly paid. Firstly because it's one of those jobs people want to do regardless of the pay. Secondly it's publicly funded and there isn't really a private sector equivalent job to benchmark it against. I appreciate you've got private medicine but unlike most industries you can't work for a private company off the bat, you'll need those years of NHS experience first. Finally the potential rewards, if you stick it out are great.

Jobs aren't paid based on how difficult they are or how much they bring to society.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    You could argue that no job is over or under paid, every job is paid exactly what it's worth. Market forces and all that.

That would only be true if every job was paid at the level where they all got similar numbers of appointable applicants - if you have a situation where some jobs attract either very few or lots of good applicants then 'market forces' is questionable.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    theoretica wrote: »
    That would only be true if every job was paid at the level where they all got similar numbers of appointable applicants - if you have a situation where some jobs attract either very few or lots of good applicants then 'market forces' is questionable.

Surely that's just one aspect of 'market forces'...
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I don't think that's silly money for the value of that job, and at the time that would have been the top of the band I assume? So it took you about 7 years to get up there starting from a much lower salary?

Nope- I was only halfway! I was only employed for 6 years and I was off on long term sick for about 2.5 of that.
    That said I used to do a lot of unsocial hours and I worked incredibly hard.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    theoretica wrote: »

Yet despite the apparent low pay of junior doctors, medical schools still have far greater number of applicants than there are places available, so it must still be regarded as a popular career choice. No doubt people looking at the bigger picture for the long term for high salary in middle age, job security, and good pension upon (early) retirement.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pennywise wrote: »
    No doubt people looking at the bigger picture for the long term for high salary in middle age, job security, and good pension upon (early) retirement.

Docs are being begged to come out of retirement due to a GP shortage.

In my area the surgery has been trying to recruit a full time GP for over a year with no luck, and I have seen several locums shipped in from Bulgaria and Hungary to plug the gap. For sure surgeries are busy and not getting quieter so job security is 100% assured.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    robatwork wrote: »
    Docs are being begged to come out of retirement due to a GP shortage.

In my area the surgery has been trying to recruit a full time GP for over a year with no luck, and I have seen several locums shipped in from Bulgaria and Hungary to plug the gap. For sure surgeries are busy and not getting quieter so job security is 100% assured.

Worth remembering that GPs are private, so there may be other reasons they struggle to employ / recruit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure