Not fully depressing nozzle trigger when fuelling at petrol station

Hi all,

Is it true or just a myth that I've come across that not depressing the trigger fully when you are refuelling your vehicle at the petrol station is somehow more economical?
Something to do with the pressure application/filtration, meaning more actual fuel and less air are pumped in, I gather.
Or are the computers behind the petrol station clever enough to only charge you for the liquid fuel itself dispensed regardless of at what rate / speed?

Negligible difference perhaps and therefore better to get in and out as quickly as possible for - after all - time is money! :rotfl:

Thanks in advance for your informed responses.

Cheers!

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    An urban myth.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yep, utter rubbish. When Trading Standards come and do their random testing they just pull the trigger and measure the fluid dispensed and make sure what is on the display matches what is in their measuring jugs.
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    Yep, utter rubbish. When Trading Standards come and do their random testing they just pull the trigger and measure the fluid dispensed and make sure what is on the display matches what is in their measuring jugs.
    Yup, and they will fine just as much for the pump giving too much fuel for the reading (so under charging the consumer) as for it giving too little.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • I've heard if you fill in a north/south direction the fuel is more dense due to the earth's magnetic field and thus you get more fuel for your money.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I used to own a Mitsubishi Galant that would only allow you to fill very slowly, usually only if you held the gun at some strange angle. I didn't notice getting any more fuel that I should, I just noticed spending an awful lot of time at petrol stations.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Add fuel when the temperature is low and you should be able to squeeze in extra volume.
    That combined with the magnetic field effect and you are quids in.:p
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I definitely gets more fuel into mine, if I hold the trigger fully back fuel sprays out of the filler.

I know it shouldn't, but like EssexExile's car, it will only take fuel at all with the nozzle half out and at an odd angle.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I regularly fill five litre petrol cans (which I then mix directly to two-stroke), and have a mark on the can to show exactly five litres so onward mixing with 2stroke oil is accurate. Obviously have to slow fill them.... and they always exactly match the pump reading at 5litres, to the drip!

I also do five litres of foamy diesel, even more slowly. Same same...

Mind you, standing on one leg and singing LOUDLY makes it cheaper... if only cos they close the kiosk window and hide!
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've heard if you fill in a north/south direction the fuel is more dense due to the earth's magnetic field and thus you get more fuel for your money.
    Add fuel when the temperature is low and you should be able to squeeze in extra volume.
    That combined with the magnetic field effect and you are quids in.:p
    Also always fill up at sea level as any bubbles will be smaller due to the greater air pressure. . .
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've heard if you fill in a north/south direction the fuel is more dense due to the earth's magnetic field and thus you get more fuel for your money.

But if you do that you need to make sure you have those clip-on magnetic fuel conditioners on your fuel lines. Otherwise it'll keep trying to flow north - south regardless of which way the car's pointing and takes more effort to pump from the tank when you're heading sideways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure