Removing Late Payments help

So I checked my credit report a few months back and spotted a account I hadn't opened to a catalogue company(Grattan) which is around 8 months old now.

Initially my first thought was this is fraud, identity theft!

So I was looking online for ways an means of reporting this aswell as contacting the lender, whilst doing this I discussed this with my partner to which point she had a confession to make :mad:

she had opened the account in my name and I didn't notice because she used her email address and her bank card.

This account has overall 4 late payments on the report each for 1 month :mad:

What I wont do is report this as fraud, I mean it's my partner and the mother of my children.

I'm wondering how I can get round this I've read online goodwill gesture I don't know if I can play this angle.

The checks to verify my identity, how could they accept a card registered to someone else for payment at the application stage? Generally this is part of there checks and responsibility? I could be wrong, maybe some angle here?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Why not start by asking them to login to their Grattan account and see if they can change the name on their account to their own name. If they cannot do it online they could contact Grattan to ask their details to be corrected. After Grattan's data is corrected then you may be able to try correcting your own credit file.
  • sambaird
    sambaird Posts: 152
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are not willing to report this as fraud, either to Grattan or Action Fraud, then you have limited options.

By not reporting it as fraud, you are taking responsibility for the debt, as well as taking responsibility for opening the account in the first place. If you go down this route what is shown on your credit files is technically accurate (to the company at least).

So no, there are no angles to play.

Best bet if you want to go down this route is to get the account fully up to date, write a grovelling letter to the company and see what they say. Just don't get your hopes up or expect too much.
  • Stalen wrote: »
    So I checked my credit report a few months back and spotted a account I hadn't opened to a catalogue company(Grattan) which is around 8 months old now.

Initially my first thought was this is fraud, identity theft!

So I was looking online for ways an means of reporting this aswell as contacting the lender, whilst doing this I discussed this with my partner to which point she had a confession to make :mad:

she had opened the account in my name and I didn't notice because she used her email address and her bank card.

This account has overall 4 late payments on the report each for 1 month :mad:

What I wont do is report this as fraud, I mean it's my partner and the mother of my children.

I'm wondering how I can get round this I've read online goodwill gesture I don't know if I can play this angle.

The checks to verify my identity, how could they accept a card registered to someone else for payment at the application stage? Generally this is part of there checks and responsibility? I could be wrong, maybe some angle here?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)
    If you won’t report it as fraud then what grounds will you ask for it to be removed? It’s a true statement of the management of the account that you won’t say is not yours, so unless a polite request to remove the markers works there really aren’t any options.
  • I was thinking of requesting all account details including payments and application information(is this possible, am I entilted?), explaining the situation an maybe suggesting they didn't do there checks properly to make them partly at fault, in which case they might be more willing to use some discretion to delete the report.

I cant report as fraud because that would lead to criminal investigations against my current partner.

The account is paid off an satisfied and 8 months old now.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I’d Let sleeping dogs lie if I were you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Two options:

a) report it as fraud, have the records taken off of your file, have the company potentially take criminal action against your girlfriend;

b) don't report it as fraud, and take responsibility for the debt.

Your preferred third option - in which the records are removed from your files and which no action is taken against your girlfriend - does not exist.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure