Hire car flooded in Murcia

We were caught in the recent flooding in Murcia and we were advised by the hotel (Double Tree, Hilton) to park our hire car in the underground car park and not on the street the day before the big flood. We did so and then we couldn't get our car back as the entire car park was submerged in water. It's going to take 2 weeks to pump the water out and to get the car back. I have a letter from the hotel explaining that they had the car in the car park the day of the flood. They have signed and stamped this. We had the standard insurance with 850 excess. My question is, am I liable for the 850 excess and if I do have to pay it, can I claim it back on the hotels insurance?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Yes you need to pay the excess

Not sure if you can claim from the hotel , depends on Spanish insurance rules , if it's termed out of the hotels control or their negligence
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Perhaps you can make a claim via your car hire excess policy?
    Any reason why you didn't ask your car hire company advice on what to do, the day before?
  • I spoke to the hire car conpany and they said they would call me back as this had happened to alot of people. I then spoke to the rental company at the airport and they had no log of my original call.
    I explained everything and they said they would look in to it but they didn't charge me the excess. Fingers crossed that's the end of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure