We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

damsons

Options
Ms_W
Ms_W Posts: 57 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
whilst out blackberry picking found a damson tree.how do you know when to pick them. tried one it was extremely sour. any help thank you

Comments

• GSDMum
    GSDMum Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Funnily enough I've just found a tree with damsons on, but they're not quite ripe yet either.

As I wont be returning to this area again, I picked a couple of kilos. A Google search said to put the unripe damsons in a paper bag with a ripe banana. The banana will give off a chemical reaction and ripen the damsons.

Keep the bag out of strong sunshine, in a coolish part of a room.

I'm feeling confident of success :)
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a bit of trial & error. I picked my first damson on 28th August last year, which was too early. I picked the rest on 8th Sept which was just right. This year I don't seem to have any though...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Ms_W
    Ms_W Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so what is a ripe damson like.... i'm thinking like a victoria plum??
    and do you pick them like apples?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Ms_W wrote: »
    so what is a ripe damson like.... i'm thinking like a victoria plum??
    and do you pick them like apples?

I think so - like a Victoria plum but smaller and a bit sharper taste..

I can't find any wild ones where I live now but in the Bristol area there were quite a few that I used to keep an eye on.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I think so - like a Victoria plum but smaller and a bit sharper taste..

I can't find any wild ones where I live now but in the Bristol area there were quite a few that I used to keep an eye on.

Yup, smaller and a bit more tart than a plum, you want to pick them not too firm - but depends on the variety probably. I grow Merryweather. Down in Bristol, they'll probably be very nearly ready

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not ready just yet in Devon, but not long before they will be. Plenty on our tree this year.
  • madjackslam
    Options
    (Yorkshire) Managed to get a few pounds of ripe ones yesterday, but most are probably a week or two away. They don't ripen uniformly across our tree. When they do ripen they fall off. Also, when they are ripe, they seem to start leaking a sugary fluid that forms a crusty spiral on the surface (charming!). It doesn't seem to be a creature, unless it's a really tiny one.
    Finally, is there more pectin in the unripe fruit? Therefore a few are useful to set it if you make it into jam.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's a damson tree on my new allotment. A few on it but as it hasn't been pruned or fed for ages the tree has loads of water shoots.

Next question: when do you prune them?!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Next question: when do you prune them?!
    Now. Like all plums, you want dry, warm weather to limit the possibility of disease ingress through the cut wood.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Just thought I'd update this thread. Of the two damsons on the tree this year (last year it was 40+) I found one on the ground a couple of days ago
    Perfectly ripe & barely damaged (magpies). I picked the remaining one but I'll leave it for a few more days, it didn't look quite so ripe

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure