It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,588 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Enjoy your last few days - and then enjoy retirement more!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Well it's nearly here!!!! Just 20 hours to go!!!

Question, in these circumstances, do you usually get paid as normal on the standard payday i.e. 25th (albeit pro-rata) or should I get paid up on my last day?? Or does it vary from Co. to Co. ??

I've had no correspondence or acknowledgement from HR at all !!!
    In my company's case it's the standard pay day. I would be surprised if yours is any different; things like payroll are on a set schedule that HR won't want to vary. 18 days for me (not that I'm counting :D)
  • PipPip
    PipPip Posts: 129 Forumite
    Interesting thread. Enjoy retirement and I may not comment often but I do read great threads like this. I’m planning to retire at 55 and have 7 years of financial juggling to get there. We have no DB pension but have around £700k of DC pension assets and £100k of ISA and cash. Also around £150k equity in a forign property. We put about £30k pa into pension savings so I think we might hit £1m when I’m 55. The downside is we’ll still have £200k of mortgage at that point and our 2 kids will be 19 and 17 so likely entering the expensive university stage. So will be a tricky juggling act if I really do decide to retire. Need to learn from the experience of folks like yourself!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sea Shell, just delurking to cheer you on - I can't even answer your question, sorry, but just saying ... have a ball :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well it's nearly here!!!! Just 20 hours to go!!!

Question, in these circumstances, do you usually get paid as normal on the standard payday i.e. 25th (albeit pro-rata) or should I get paid up on my last day?? Or does it vary from Co. to Co. ??

I've had no correspondence or acknowledgement from HR at all !!!

Last month's pay is normally on the Company's normal pay-day. Mine was a four day pay-packet at the end of the month I retired and then a few days later, a month's pension.

Now when you get paid your pension - that is a whole other thing depending on scheme rules.

DH's Teacher's is the day before the date in the month that corresponds to his birthday (presumably so they remember to take his tax into account when he starts to get his SP).

Mine is the monthly anniversary of the first day I was retired (presumably so they don't have to B-about with part months except when the annual inflator is applied :)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My NHS employer sticks to the normal date for retiring employees as payroll can't be altered.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think I need to worry about when they'll make pension payments just yet!!!

I'm only 47!!

Technically I'm resigning, not retiring.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm only 47!!
    Then your FIRE achievement is all the more remarkable. Congratulations again :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Well....That's All Folks!!!!! I am now officially a non-working person.

Looking at the weather for the next couple of weeks, it appears my timing is just right. So for at least the next week or so, we're just treating it as a "staycation", and chilling out at home. Then we'll start making some plans for Sept/Oct.

It doesn't feel quite REAL just yet, I feel like i'm just having some time off.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Well....That's All Folks!!!!! I am now officially a non-working person.

Looking at the weather for the next couple of weeks, it appears my timing is just right. So for at least the next week or so, we're just treating it as a "staycation", and chilling out at home. Then we'll start making some plans for Sept/Oct.

It doesn't feel quite REAL just yet, I feel like i'm just having some time off.
    Awesome! Don't forget to keep posting from "the other side" so we know how it's going.

I've got 12 days before dropping to part-time work, so I have my own changes coming.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback