Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 746Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Saving for..?
    • 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    Saving for..? 20th Jul 19 at 3:10 PM
    I'm not quite sure yet! But I would like to stop wasting money and be more accountable with it!

A little bit of background context:

I'm 26 and live alone with no family around me. I left an abusive relationship 2 years ago and became homeless. I spent most of my then 8000 savings, some necessary some not. I went on several holidays and outings, bought a nice computer, furnished a property I got and bought myself a whole new wardrobe. Sometimes I feel guilty at the amount of money I spent but a lot of it was a coping mechanism. I am now in a much more stable and happy situation and would like to start being more accountable with my money.

I recently moved, having been placed in the roughest council estate of my town and the anti-social behaviour was really bad. I am nearing the end of my biggest debt so I put it towards renting a nicer property. Not MSE but so much better for my mental health!

I am also in a new relationship. My partner is here on a study visa for the next 1-2 years. After that, who knows? Maybe he'll get a job here, maybe we'll move somewhere else, maybe we won't be together. As such, I have no idea where my life is going to take me in the next few years so I don't want to commit to anything but I also want to be prepared because life has taught me it doesn't always work out the way I plan!

Until then, my goals are to:

1) Stick to budgets and save the rest.
    2) Get a better paying and more stable job.
    3) Only buy what I can afford - no more financing/debt. Save for what I want.
    4) Have fun with my money! I don't want to lambaste myself for having an occasional treat.
    5) Learn to cook more and bake.. at all

I'm going to pop up a SOA in a bit and would love if anyone could point out where I could be saving or maximising my savings. I also sometimes see people my age (and younger) being married, owning homes, having families etc and feel a little bit bad about it so if anyone could tell me that I'm doing fine too that would be a massive help

Thanks for reading (or at least allowing me the bandwidth to post my dull life )
Page 6
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Sep 19, 3:11 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck with the jobs I wish you get both then you can decide.

I hope your neck is better and am glad you rang someone for help.

OMG to energy supplier. That's horrible well done on checking up on it.

Boyfriend will be here soon so you will be happy. It sounds like they are willing to support him so you wont have the stress of it!
    Christmas Fund 248 No spend month?
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 14th Sep 19, 1:22 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Yes he should be here around next week. His dad won't be able to make it. So if it's the weekend I'll be able to meet him and help him with his stuff in 1 week time!! But we're still awaiting the Visa then he needs to get his flight tickets, so just waiting again.

In hindsight there were some flags that I won't get the job I interviewed for. I think it depends on the other people who were interviewed. We'll see.

Top-up shop. Mostly for household goods and some food for lunches next week. The next few months are going to be really difficult financially so at least I've been able to save a little bit.

Groceries: 21.13/25
    Petrol: 40.58/55
    Entertainment: 17.15/60

Added leftover 3.87 to savings.
    Will possibly need petrol before payday in 6 days.

Savings In (Since 20/8/19) = 342.51 (27.69 from cashback/interest/prolific, 314.82 from wage)
    Savings Out: 0

Emergency Fund: 1889.58/3000
    H2B: 6934.95
    = 8824.53

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Im keeping my fingers crossed for you anyway. This time next week you will be happy due to boyfriend and also vvv busy. I hope you are having a good day today.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 17th Sep 19, 5:23 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Never heard back regarding the job I interviewed for - he did say they were still interviewing this week and it would be Tuesday at the earliest so not sure what to think.

I did receive a call from the police asking how satisfied I was with how they dealt with my car break in in July xD I told her that they didn't deal with it - no-one followed up or visited me! She was just a survey taker so couldn't comment and not sure if it gets passed on or just kept as a record or statistic.

I received my 5 amazon gift card from Bean, yay! I purchased some lavender oil since I accidentally put mine in the wash and bought some shampoo since I'm using cheap Sainsbury shampoo and it isn't washing my hair very well. So just a 1.43 spend after the giftcard was applied.

Klarna also messaged me to say they're waiting for my vouchers to arrive and then they will send it to me through tracked post. Looking forward to finally receive them and will be dragging bf shopping with me when he's finally here (still no VISA but should be tomorrow or Thursday).

This weekend I confronted the neighbours I posted about a few weeks ago. I overheard them talking about me again and how I haven't been out all day and called me a "strange one". I came out and asked them if there was a problem and they at first denied anything was said. I explained my family aren't here and my boyfriend isn't currently here and I'm trying to save money so I don't go out in the car at the weekend or have any visitors. They then said I had just taken it the wrong way, they have nothing against me or anyone else and they're just chatting. I told them that I found it hurtful and if they ever have a problem with me my door is open for them to talk. They are both elderly and I understand they are probably bored and didn't mean it but I don't like when people bad talk someone they don't know. I have spoken to the guy a few times and I'm always friendly to him and I believe he was just partaking in the gossip as a social thing and I know people do get caught up in it. The lady has briefly saw me but we've not really spoken. My other neighbours talk to me and are nice. So it's literally the one that knows me the least that has the biggest opinion! It was upsetting but I'm not going to be made to feel uncomfortable in my own home or apologise for who I am. It's not like I am coming home late or being an inconsiderate neighbour, just keeping to myself and doing my own thing. That's not a bad thing. Soon bf will be here and we'll be out in our free time together and I'm sure they'll have something to say about that too

Moving on.

Added the 1.43 excess from Amazon to the entertainment budget plus 8.75 spent on groceries today. I may need petrol before I get paid on Friday as driving quite a bit and may get a coffee or a salad or something for lunch before then but my bank balance is looking quite good for this time of the month. Next few months will be different though!

Groceries: 8.75/25
    Entertainment: 18.58/60
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Sep 19, 5:53 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on speaking up for yourself in front of the neighbours. I wish I had the guts to do that to people at work who are nasty! Well done on having a good bank balance and hurrah for boyfriend visiting v soon.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 18th Sep 19, 4:16 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Thanks SavingWannabe.

I've had a pretty hectic day but nothing I can't handle. Did mean I didn't get to eat lunch and had to pop to Mcds for something as my sandwiches had been laying out all day in my car so wasn't really appetitising. Didn't get "lunch" until 4pm!! So I spent 3.68 there - had a yummy double bacon cheeseburger. Their bacon is pretty gross tbh but I was starving.

My neck is killing me, really uncomfortable when I drive as I have to move my neck to look and idk it's bothering me quite a bit and I have another interview on Friday and I'm worried I'll be too pre-occupied. Idc which job I get I just need a better paying one and the last interview left me feeling a bit self conscious and I'm not sure how many more interviews I can do and be rejected but it's better than not trying. I didn't hear back from the job from last Friday, he said I would hear back by Tuesday at the earliest but I'm not sure if that's only if I'm successful? I need to prepare for Fridays interview but I honestly feel a little bit down again - work, conflict with neighbours, boyfriends whole visa delayed, car falling apart, blah.

6.58 was put into my savings from prolific and cashback. Just got 2 studies but both were full!! annoying!!

Adding the 3.68 Mcds money to my entertainment budget so it looks like at least I do something fun this month

Entertainment: 22.26/60
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Sep 19, 4:35 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    That's a v late lunch! Poor you. Im not surprised you voted for a McDonalds!

Don't be down. Think of all the positives, you are in it so you CAN win it. Boyfriend is nearly here. We are in the second half of the month for payday which is even closer now! Wrap a warm hot waterbottle near you neck it may help?

Only two days to go till the weekend.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 19th Sep 19, 4:24 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

AND MY BOYFRIEND GOT HIS VISA!!!!

He called me to apologise that it took a bit longer for him to get back to me but that they would like to offer me the job. He said it was a little bit rocky at the start but I got into it and did well. Also that one of the guys interviewing is actually the manager at the council for homelessness and I didn't even realise!! Probably lucky I didn't or else I would have freaked out!! They did say he's very hard to please so I'll just have to prove what I can do. I'm a little worried as it's really just me in the role but it's also a great opportunity for me.

I'm going to go to the other interview tomorrow and see but I'm happy to accept this one. My manager was really happy and supportive too so that's great.

And yes boyfriend got his visa BUT 20 minutes before the visa centre closed and he couldn't go pick it up! So he can't come this weekend, he's looking to fly on Tuesday so will only miss one class. Not sure if I can go help him but I don't think so tbh as I think I've taken too much holidays than I'm entitled to. My pay will be shorter next month due to less mileage and will take back holiday pay I think. But from next month forward I'll be earning an extra few hundred a month... which is probably gonna go onto a car as it's falling apart!

On top of that didn't need petrol today, probably tomorrow but pay day tomorrow.

Happy and scared guys!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Sep 19, 1:11 PM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 19,374 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

AND MY BOYFRIEND GOT HIS VISA!!!!!
    Originally posted by JennyJukes
    That's great news

Hope the interview went well today.
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 648
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 100
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Sep 19, 6:01 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah hurrah hurrah!!!!! Fantastic news on both fronts. You have cheered us all up. I needed it as I'm broke!!!! lol

I hope the news gave you confidence for today's interview. OMG you will be rich if your money is going up and that get's rid of financial stress.

I'm so sorry that boyfriend couldn't get the visa in time but he will be with you vvv soon. Stay happy and confident and have a great weekend. It's going to be hot. Our last bit of summer.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 20th Sep 19, 6:56 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Ignore the older neighbours, they have too much time on their hands and the most excitement they have is people watching....

Oh that's some wonderful updates you have posted!

Many congratulations on the new role

Your BF will be here before you know it and you will be snuggling up soon.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Sep 19, 7:30 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Haha thanks guys!

I really enjoyed the interview today, we worked in a group, did one to one interviews and one to one presentations. Wasn't as scary as it sounds and the other candidates were absolutely lovely! It would be a confidence boost if they chose me over any of them but I also wouldn't be upset if I didn't because they were all great. I didn't find out if I got it or not but I have a plan if I do.

Savingswannabe, boyfriend and I have realized the times we have been together they have all been very last minute and not set in stone until the flights are booked, so we knew it wouldn't be easy but once he is here that's him for 2 years at least! And with either of these jobs I could officially sponsor him as a spouse if required, though I'm not sure how long the post I'm offered will last as it is due to funding but the current job I am in doesn't meet the financial requirement anyway so. Also he has just been told a decision has been made and he needs to pick up his passport so that doesn't mean it's 100% been accepted, he will only find out when he picks it up in Sunday (which is the beginning of the working week over there!) I won't see him until next weekend but I'll just be happy knowing he is here and he can settle in before we see each other again.

Paid today!!
    20 on petrol, 3.68 on lunch because I missed lunch AGAIN!! Next week will be less hectic though hopefully. Need to top up groceries tomorrow but won't be much. Not sure what this month brings financially but at least soon I'll be making enough to worry a little less.

I had 154.96 leftover from last month put into savings.
    Added the difference of my petrol used and expenses paid into savings too which was 68.66!!
    Will likely need to take savings out but for now they're staying there.

That means last month I added:
    Savings in: 455.24 into savings (I miscalculated earlier) from my wage and cashback and prolific!! I did have some bills that were less or not needed paid this month. Next month will not be anywhere near this amount!
    Savings out: 0!!

Emergency Fund: 2121.38
    = 9056.33

Petrol: 20/55
    Entertainment: 3.68/60
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 21st Sep 19, 3:56 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Absolutely wonderful day.

I walked into town and treated myself to some unstoppables - those in-scent freshness boosters - as the cheaper laundry detergent I've been using doesn't leave much of a lingering smell which I like. Bought air freshner for my car too as it probably smells too much like Mcds right now

Then popped to Aldi for some more groceries.

Will find out tomorrow what's happening with my boyfriends visa and what flight he's getting and so on. Next week I'll find out for sure what job I'm going to - need to get that sorted asap as I'm already spending the extra money

4.48 in B&M and 6.88 in Aldi for groceries added to the grocery budget:

Groceries: 20.11/25

Added leftover grocery budget to savings :

Emergency Fund: 2126.27
    = 9061.22

House has been cleaned and time to catch up with all my competitions!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Sep 19, 7:38 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I love those Unstoppables. I have asked my parents to get me some when they are on offer. They feel like a luxury and make us feel rich!!!!

Superb savings Jenny, extremely well done on both interviews, hurrah for boyfriend. I hope he is here vvv quickly. It sounds like you are having a great weekend. Well done and enjoy it.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 23rd Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Amazing news on the job Jenny, and the visa for your boyfriend!! You must be bouncing off the walls right now (I know I wold be, anyway )

About your energy provider increasing your direct debit - write down your arguments clearly and coherently and then give them a call to tell them NOT to increase your direct debit and why. It sounds like you have solid reasons for them not to increase it. I did exactly the same thing when EON decided they were going to increase my DD by about 70 It was based entirely on estimated readings as they had my meter set up incorrectly on their system and so wouldn't allow me to supply them with any meter readings. They left it as it was
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 8174 / 6,000 (4671 is in "offset" pot)
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 7483 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 21,357 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 469 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 10/10/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Jun 2052
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 24th Sep 19, 4:59 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I love those Unstoppables. I have asked my parents to get me some when they are on offer. They feel like a luxury and make us feel rich!!!!

Superb savings Jenny, extremely well done on both interviews, hurrah for boyfriend. I hope he is here vvv quickly. It sounds like you are having a great weekend. Well done and enjoy it.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe
    I got the smaller one for 1.99 from B&Ms, there were bigger bottles on offer (obviously more expensive) but I wanted to try it out first. From the instructions, I'd probably only get around 3 washes with that one bottle!! I'm going to try it out in next washing but probably just half a capful. I absolutely love smelly things, it is very comforting to me as I have sensory processing disorder. I received lavender oil in the mail too and even just touching the bottle leaves my clothes smelling of it! So that's always a cheap option if this doesn't work out.
    Amazing news on the job Jenny, and the visa for your boyfriend!! You must be bouncing off the walls right now (I know I wold be, anyway )

About your energy provider increasing your direct debit - write down your arguments clearly and coherently and then give them a call to tell them NOT to increase your direct debit and why. It sounds like you have solid reasons for them not to increase it. I did exactly the same thing when EON decided they were going to increase my DD by about 70 It was based entirely on estimated readings as they had my meter set up incorrectly on their system and so wouldn't allow me to supply them with any meter readings. They left it as it was
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly
    Haha I am both excited and nervous! I keep going from "I can do this" to "I can't do this!!!" with this new job. I'm sure it won't be as scary as I expect.

The energy company took my usual direct debit so hopefully stays that way, will keep updating my meter readings online regularly. Yes they sent it as "estimated" meter readings even though I've given them every month since I moved in July? They gave no explanation for this and said they would check out my smart meter? Shrug.

Well, I didn't get the job I went for on Friday so that made my decision for me. I have officially handed in my notice yesterday but it doesn't feel real yet!! Boyfriend has also officially landed and has met with friends to get things ready for his apartment. We will see each other this weekend I'm excited but also nervous because previously we have just spent a week at a time with each other and now we're going to see each other most weekends so it'll be a big change. I think it's hard as well because we're so close but we both have things we need to focus on!!

Will hopefully go to the cinema this weekend together, hopefully the weather won't be so bad Maybe now boyfriend is here my diary can be a little more exciting but probably not with him being a student we do still have to be frugal! It will be fun figuring it out together though

The new job pretty much came on perfect timing as I won't need to worry too much about paying bills and seeing boyfriend but even with the pay rise I'm going to be careful and make sure I save for whatever the future brings Will update my SOA after first full pay to see what I can do.

Aldi trip - 9.32

Groceries: 9.32/25

Added 6.99 from prolific into savings

Emergency Fund: 2134.79/3000
    = 9069.74
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 25th Sep 19, 6:23 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Well I tried the unstoppables... sort of. I forgot about it once I had already loaded the washing machine so I tried to tuck the balls under all the clothes then forgot they weren't supposed to be in the dosing ball just in the machine, facepalms. I'm very tired recently. I used half a cup.

It came out ok. I mean it's a subtle smell but not as nice as when I was using more expensive laundry detergent. I'll finish the bottle but it's probably cheaper to just buy nicer laundry detergent next time.

Anyway, got some salad and fruit for 1.70 today then bought cinema tickets from groupon 2 for 10!! It would cost us 23.50 or thereabouts for an adult and student ticket so saving 13.50!! It's for Odeon cinema and I think they're still being sold on Groupon if anyone is interested! We are planning to go on Sunday. Boyfriend is notoriously last minute (I'm a planner) so I won't be redeeming them until I know for sure he's coming here

Groceries: 11.02/25
    Entertainment: 13.68/60

Made some spag bol today, enough for 3 extra portions and I'm going to make some chicken stir fry tomorrow. So I have plenty food to last me this week though will probably make another batch of something this weekend for boyfriend and I to eat together. Cannot wait
    Emergency Fund: 2262.16/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7084.95
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 26th Sep 19, 3:14 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Well smelling my clothes now and they are just very subtly nice smelling and some of them don't have any smell at all. I think it helps if you 1) put in a full capful and 2) use a tumble dryer as the clothes that dried in my electric heater have more of a smell than the other clothes. I think I'm just going to get better detergent next time.

Another 5.30 into my emergency fund thanks to prolific so signature will be updated.

The rubber seal around the window that was smashed is falling down because whoever broke in bent the window frame out of shape. It's fine day to day but when I'm driving above 60 it starts to fall down and it's incredibly embarrassing. I'm also worried it will start to let ice in when the colder weather comes in and I don't want to be driving clients when it's like that. But I really, really get such bad anxiety going to car garages, I have no idea what I'm saying and I feel like they look at me like I'm stupid. I'm going to ask bf to come with me when I find somewhere. It's also definitely not worth paying for a new door frame completely if it comes to that so not sure what I'm going to do.

Picking boyfriend up tomorrow!!! it's been over 3 months since we saw each other which is actually the shorter we've went without seeing each other!!
    Emergency Fund: 2262.16/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7084.95
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 26th Sep 19, 4:52 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    You could always go to a car scrap yard to see if they have the make / model / year of your car, buy the complete door.

Replacing the door is fairly straightforward, a few bolts, check strap and it's off, then fitting the replacement one. Change the lock from your current door to the replacement and it's problem solved.

You may need to get the replacement door resprayed to match your car colour, or if a popular car you may get the same colour!

As a temp fix to your current one, silicone the window up not ideal if it's a warm day, but a fix is a fix.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Sep 19, 6:02 PM
    • 14,218 Posts
    • 47,680 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad boyfriend is here! I hope you can see a nice film and well done on bargain prices, food bargains and cooking.

We both like scented washing. lol. I use lovely flavoured ironing water when ordinary water would do!!!!

I hope the car can be sorted cheaply and that you have a great weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,387Posts Today

7,650Users online

Martin's Twitter