TalkTalk website hit by cyber-attack

Comments

• I too am a customer. No contact from them so far. My contract ends in April and I would also like to jump ship. Luckily I've just switched back accounts and haven't told them the new details yet.
    Wishlist Gaming PC, Cash, gadgets, BBQ, Treats for the wife and kids
    Best wins to date Five nights at Universal Studios Florida, Surround sound system (rrp £900), iPad
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Guinness81 wrote: »
    I too am a customer. No contact from them so far. My contract ends in April and I would also like to jump ship. Luckily I've just switched back accounts and haven't told them the new details yet.
    like the titanic, there aint enough life boats for those trying to jump ship now.
    women and children first, unless you have money.:)
  • We left talktalk last June would our account details be affected too ??
  • I've heard nothing from them and you can't get into your account to change the password, at least I know this password is not on anything else.

Always look on the bright side of life...
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am a TalkTalk customer of many years - and am worried by the potential affect of this...

I don't trust the company one iota - considering the lack of any encryption of our personal data
    Plus - they claim to have notified every customer - I have received nothing (or on the previous two similar events)
    This is the third time that this has happened this year and may not be the last
    Why do these companies not learn from their mistakes ?
    How do we start the process of getting free credit checks ?
    And also claim compensation from TalkTalk for the time taken (and worry) to deal with this ?

They say "Change your password" - how ?
    TalkTalk's website is STILL not accessible !!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We left talktalk last June would our account details be affected too ??

They hang on to your details for years - so possibly yes !
  • 50Twuncle wrote: »
    I am a TalkTalk customer of many years - and am worried by the potential affect of this...

I don't trust the company one iota - considering the lack of any encryption of our personal data
    Plus - they claim to have notified every customer - I have received nothing (or on the previous two similar events)
    This is the third time that this has happened this year and may not be the last
    Why do these companies not learn from their mistakes ?
    How do we start the process of getting free credit checks ?
    And also claim compensation from TalkTalk for the time taken (and worry) to deal with this ?

They say "Change your password" - how ?
    TalkTalk's website is STILL not accessible
    !!

correct , almost 48 hrs after the event
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    And now Sky is going to raise their prices.
    Watch it.
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    We read about the previous attacks and decided if anyone would now be equipped to repel boarders - after those attacks - tightening up security max-encryption etc - it would be talktalk - so we switched to their cheap deal.
    Still no email and no way to change password.
    Are companies who store enough details online to enable fraudsters to steal your id compelled to encrypt those details?
    Is cheap deal code for no security?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    They hang on to your details for years - so possibly yes !

Exactly. Five years I would guess. However, closed account details may not be as accessible as current accounts. No doubt we will NOT get an answer on this one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure