the hedgehog's balloons.

Comments

• the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2018 at 4:42PM
    Finally had the bill for the plumber and has been paid via the slush fund aka emergency fund today. DH has set up his help to save account at last. TT of 16p.
    Called at the allotment for carrots, leeks and cabbage as we are having a roast dinner tonight. Need to make leek and potato soup for DD2 to have at the wedding lunch tomorrow. Apple crumble will be made physically today as I keep putting it off and I want pudding:j.
    DH has insisted the heating goes on today as its about 4 degrees outside and about 16 degrees in the house. He's cold and says he can't get anymore layers on (currently has 4 on) or he'll be like stay puff marshmallow man and not be able to move, I feel he's been a little dramatic personally. Anyway I relented and then he promptly went out to his brothers to prune their apple and pear trees:mad:. So its back off for now :rotfl:.
    DH and I had a lovely evening on our own we didn't do anything exciting. Candles (meant heating didn't need to go on , I'm an old romantic aren't I:rotfl: ) wine, cheese and crackers. We started looking at holidays for next year, we've already booked to go to south Wales with my BIL and family (seperate cottages so cuts down the potential of frayed nerves or lost rags). Mum wants us to go with he,r so think we are going to go up near Newcastle/ Durham area. Already found some wheelchair accessible walks, swimming pools, cinemas, art galleries and museums in the area we are thinking about. Came to the decision that we need to be sensible and either go away in May or October but not both as a family. We'd usually do both and find the money from somewhere but its getting more and more expensive to go away in this country. Plus we always have a week to ourselves and that's non negotiable. Going to let the kids decided which they would prefer to do. Option 1 is Northumbria as DH would like to visit the Farne Islands in May and the kids love Holy Island. Option 2 is Robin Hood's Bay in October, lots of rock pooling and crabbing. Option 3 is North Wales in October lots of beach and forest walks. We've done all these before but not for sometime. I think it will be RHB but we'll see.
    Sister has rang to say the wedding flowers are totally wrong (colours flowers are white and blush pink and should be deep reds) and the woman who did them said she didn't have the exact flowers sister wanted and if she (my sister) went to Tesco's and got them the woman would alter them. Sister is not amused and doesn't have time to muck about. Told her to write a bad review, a picture of the flowers and the woman's response, plus a phone to say she will be taking her to the small claims court (if she can) if she doesn't get any money back. Obviously she's upset but tried to get her to focus on the positives like the cake, which is way more important (well it is in our family). That reminds me I need to make a couple of christmas cakes soon.
    Best be getting some OU work done since there is just me in the house.
    Hope you're all keeping warm and snug.
    CRx
  • the_cross_rabbit
    the_cross_rabbit Posts: 901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2018 at 1:00PM
    So yesterday it was the wedding and if I'm been honest I spent most of the day feeling very stressed. Mum had been invited to come to my sister's (she's my half sister, but we ignore the half part) wedding to help support us with DD2 which was fantastic. Unfortunately the stress factor was my sister, I felt so sorry for her. She has spent the last 2 years losing weight for her big day and I suspect this was the cause of the dress malfunction. Beautiful dress but was slightly too long on the day ,I suspect it was caused by more weight lost, however she says she'd queried the length with seamstress and they said it was ok. However when you go to try these dresses on, you don't have a practice walk or sit down and its only on the day you discover problems, so take note anyone out there getting married soon. Anyway she was that frightened she would fall over she was on edge all day and we were up and down trying to sort it out. In the end she was so upset I suggested she let me cut the offending part off:eek: or change and I'd drive back to her house and get her something, she agreed to the latter. Good job I wasn't drinking. I would off hacked it off personally as it was one of the many (attached) underskirts and wouldn't of been that noticeable. Smiles all round in the end.
    So today is the first day of the school holidays, my two and I have decided today is a pyjama day:j as there is no dog to walk (still in kennels). Little to no house work or cooking will be done either. Wedding shoes consigned to the ongoing charity bag:T.
    TT of 60p. Decided to join the NST November in New York on the debt-free wannabe challenge forum, as need to focus on cutting back and saving more. Still waiting to hear from SF and tomorrow is the deadline the OU have given for payment, so not sure what will happen.Not inspiring me to look at my OU work, as tomorrow the plug could be pulled so to speak. Although I'll be disappointed if it is, its not the end of the world:D.
    Hope today as many of you as possible get to go walking in scrunchy leaves.
    CRx
  • What a nightmare with sisters wedding!! :( Thank goodness you were there to save the day and all was okay in the end! :T

Cannot believe the SF has left it so late :mad:...no wonder your motivation to do some isn't massively high at the moment! I did three years of the OU a considerable period of time ago but ended up stopping due to a change in circumstances and when I went to go back the offer wasn't anywhere near as good (tutor groups over 2 hours drive away!!) so didn't finish it off....I do sometimes think of doing it again (in all honesty, it's been so long, I'd have to start from scratch :o) but then I remember that I'd never use it and it's sooooo much more expensive now that I couldn't justify the cost! :eek: As I said, it was a long time ago - back when you didn't have to pay to go to normal uni!! :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy the holidays.....I used to love school holibobs with my babies.....lots of being busy doing nothing! :D
  • Small spend today and yesterday £14.88. Worked out how much we (will try to keep to - game face on) have to spend on food each week. Divided £400 by 31 days and then times by 7 to give me our amount to spend each week, came to £90 (approx).
    T/C to SF they reckon pigs might fly this week! So if not sorted the OU will de-register me within the next week.
    CRx
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Hi CR,

Sorry the wedding was stressful for you, I think the bride especially is often stressed on the day. Thank goodness you were able to save the day! What happened with the flowers?

I can't believe that SF have let you down, you must be so disappointed not to be able to get started on the course. If it doesn't get sorted, will you try again next year?

Hope you're enjoying half term x
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • :hello: crumpets. My sister went and bought some dark red flowers and inserted them herself. Trying to stay positive that SF will be sorted. Trying to be a glass half full kind of person, but I'm leaning more towards some bar stool has stolen it.
    CRx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Argh! What a nightmare with the wedding in parts! :( - florist does not sound helpful re flowers :( Glad you could sort something re your sister's outfit :T

Fingers crossed for SF... xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • :hello:greent currently everything is crossed that it gets sorted, if not it's not meant to be.
    So I was supposed to be taking both girls away this week on my own as DH has no holidays due to changing jobs. DD1 and I had found lots of accessible walks and felt we could manage the off roading chair between us. However DD2 decided to stay at home with her dad so my mum and in laws are going to support her during the day. I feel uncomfortable leaving her but she insisted I go as she has plans :cool:. So DD1 and I are off to the Lake District for a couple of days in a yha. Although I'm still umming and ahhhing whether to go or not. It's really hard to decide what to do on one hand DD2 is very reliant on me for her care and support but on the other hand DD1 needs time also which is often limited due to aforementioned reasons associated with DD2.:eek: It doesn't help that DD2 has started with earache this morning, Which is making me question what to do for the best but If we don't go DD1 will be so disappointed. But if I know her will understand.Decisions, decisions.

I managed to book 3 nights for £78. We'll shop from the cupboards and call on the way and pick up what else we need. We've planned lots of walks and hopefully we won't get lost as my map reading skills aren't great. Fingers crossed the weather will hold although if it doesn't we'll still be out walking but on a lower level. Well off to decide what to do.
    CRx
  • I've been told in no uncertain terms that I am surplus to requirements this week by DD2:rotfl:. All that worrying for nothing:rotfl:. That's what I love about DD2 she doesn't pull any punches. She's really starting to grow up and I'm very proud of her as this time last year me going away without her would of been hard on those left to care for her and on her as a person.
    TT of £4.08 as I'm not back till Friday and I'm not sure what signal will be like when we get there. I'm off to pack my bags and start our holiday with a smile:D:D
    CRx
  • Excellent news CR!:D You definitely deserve the break and it will do all of you good for you to re-charge your batteries and have a few days of you and DD1 time ;) I hope you have a fabulous time and that the weather is kinder than it is today (it's mental here!! :eek:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback