PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Light bulbs

Since when did you need a degree and a mortgage to buy a new lightbulb?

I just want to replace a lightbulb, have change from a fiver and not feel like I'm facing interrogation with bright white light torture. Is it possible to buy something that give out light in a similar way to old style light bulbs? A nice soft light and not something white and blinding?

Sorry if this is not the correct forum. I am feeling very old style as I rant in a Victor Meldrew type fashion about lightbulbs.

Comments

• Redlady.....
    Redlady..... Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Feel exactly the same. I used to get 4 x 100wt bulbs for a pound from woollies, now I stand in front of the bulb stand totally confused.
  • rbbadger
    rbbadger Posts: 451 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I am amassing a pile of unsuitable lightbulbs. What a waste!
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ha same problem in this house!
  • kittieviolet
    kittieviolet Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    You can get 'cold white' and 'warm white' bulbs. The cold white is the bright bluey white and the warm white is more of a yellow colour if that helps, it should be on the box. I can't manage the cold white ones myself they give me a headache
  • rbbadger
    rbbadger Posts: 451 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks Kittie Violet. I located the soft white today, but not the right fixing. I’m considering moving to candles!
  • pricew1970
    pricew1970 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2018 at 11:31PM
    £ shop stock 5w and 3W LED soft white which are equivalent to 60w and 40w incandescent. Fittings are Bayonet, Edison, small Edison and GU10. Sizes, standard globe, candle, golf ball and spots etc...

I swapped out my whole house three years ago and have reduced from over 2kw to app. 165w in a large three storey Edwardian house, and have a brighter safer house as a bonus. LED also way out last incandescent bulbs.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,671 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Another vote for Poundland. I get all mine there. Best value around.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 424 Forumite
    pricew1970 wrote: »
    £ shop stock 5w and 3W LED soft white which are equivalent to 60w and 40w incandescent. Fittings are Bayonet, Edison, small Edison and GU10. Sizes, standard globe, candle, golf ball and spots etc...

I swapped out my whole house three years ago and have reduced from over 2kw to app. 165w in a large three storey Edwardian house, and have a brighter safer house as a bonus. LED also way out last incandescent bulbs.

Sorry, are you saying pound land have a 5w LED that replaces a 60w and a 3w that replaces a 40w?

I'm going to state that thats impossible. That would be 162 lumens per watt on the 5w and 156 on the 3w. Impossible.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 424 Forumite
    You can get 'cold white' and 'warm white' bulbs. The cold white is the bright bluey white and the warm white is more of a yellow colour if that helps, it should be on the box. I can't manage the cold white ones myself they give me a headache

Warm white is not a colour temperature and the actual colour of warm white can vary significantly from company to company.

Look for 2700k to replace an incandescent
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

OH bought 'cold white' (by mistake) for the dining area of the kitchen.
    It was shocking.
    But we've since decided that they are good in the kitchen itself and OH plans to look for the same for the under-cupboard lights in the kitchen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure