Apple muncher's number crunching

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    After a leisurely start to the day, dd enjoyed kids klub and I got to sit by dh at church as, for once, he was not doing the PA. Then once we'd had a quick lunch we dropped in on a friend whose mum passed away a few days ago - she had looked after her for almost 30 years, having her move in to her house. She is planning on the funeral being a happy time, celebrating over 90 years of life.

Dd has a 'dress as a superhero' day on Friday and is going as Matilda. Better than Wonder Woman by a long way!

Nowt achieved as regards clearing downstairs in readiness for dd's party next Sunday, but all the invites have now been issued and we have 6 definites so far.

I'm feeling subdued about work. Doing 4 days is really overwhelming for me. Yet it is not an excessive workload and good time management keeps me on top of it. It is more how I feel about it. 2 years ago, I increased to 4 days to help them out, and after a few weeks, was insistent that I would never do it again. Here I am, muggins! Dh tries to help - reminding me that it is only until the end of June. But that does seem an awfully long way away. And the extra money is no recompense for the emotional drain.

If dd ate well and could get to sleep easily, that would reduce my unease, I think. I have total respect for those with more than 1 child, and who work too!

Pah. Enough miserableness.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It's quite a big change to your work/ life balance - and 6 months is a fair time to do it - but hang on in! xx

I'm working every day for the first 2 weeks in Feb - admittedly only until lunchtimes (I think my latest finish is 1.45) from 8am - but I will really struggle with that. Usually I manage at least 1 day off/ week when invigilating but not this time - it's Y11 mocks for the large comp I invigilate for and there's only *just* enough invigilators at times due to others' work commitments elsewhere and the need to cram all the mocks into 2 weeks. Thankfully I don't think I have any more invigilating then until late April (when I'll run through to end of June across both schools - I'll be ready for the Summer hols this year! :D) I've considered a more regular job, but I don't want to commit myself - invigilating is quite flexible. Thankfully I don't really *need* the money, because the pay is pants! :D - it's all going into Florida Fund - but there's not much of it in reality!! :D Working late April- late June also coincides with the teens taking their GCSE and A2 exams - so they're going to be stressy! - what fun! :D;)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I shall hang in there for now, greent - thank you! Am feeling much less overwhelmed now.

Jan is the toughest month - dark, gloomy, no hols. Feb has half term and it is starting to get lighter. March also has hols (I think!). So does April (note to self: check date of Easter!). May sees kiddies go on study leave, giving me a reduced timetable, and includes half term. June still has a reduced ttable. Therefore, once Jan is over, 'it' should improve.

Had a full day plus some extra duty stuff - but that took me outside, so was worth it. I even brought home some exam papers to mark, and have done an hour's worth, which will help loads tomorrow. Still plenty to do, as ever, but it seems more manageable now.

And I have done a workout - a ZWOW - with a 30 burpee buy-in. Loved it!

NSD and also grain and sugar free. Maximum density has been reached :eek: and needs rectifying with more :j and less :EasterBun...
  • greent
    Options
    Therefore, once Jan is over, 'it' should improve.

Yeay - good to hear :)

xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Dd is up and fed and dressed so quickly that we have time for her to sit and read Matilda and for me to potter around - yay!
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    I think its a bleurgghh time of year.

Can you tell yourself it's for your family? Would that help at all?
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    if it were just me, I'd be fine with 4 days, I think. It's how upset dd gets, having to get her up early 4x per week, she doesn't get to sleep easily... And the constant, relentless juggling of work and home, trying to balance it all.

Anyhow, today is my munchkin's birthday! :bdaycake: Cannot believe it was 8 years ago that dh was telling the hospital that he would take me home if they didn't get organised and get the baby out, having got us in to induce her 36 hours earlier and not having done much with me since!

All her presents are wrapped in new clothes for her - why use wrapping paper, eh? And she can open them all once fed and dressed. Best get a wiggle on, and wake the birthday girl!
  • greent
    Options
    Awww - hope you all have a lovely day! :) Love the idea of using clothes to wrap other presents in! :D

x
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Happy birthday to your DD :D _party_ Have a fun day! PS. Great idea on the clothes wrapping!

Hope 'it' improves soon. I'm sure the lighter mornings, better weather and increase of holidays over the coming months will help make a new vast difference

PPS. :j on being under £40k! :j xx
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Dd woke up quickly this morning and had fun unwrapping it all!

'It' will go up and down every week as Mondays and Tuesdays are generally quite tough days. Then Weds and Thurs do ease up a little, usually.

I love my teaching room - on the top (3rd) floor, with tall trees around and about, so birdsong and squirrels, and not overlooked. It is at the end of the heating system and on the wrong side of the building for direct sun until about June 20th, so can get a tad chilly at times when not full of children giving off warmth in the winter, but it usually remains cool in the summer. And it is mine!! :D

Dd is off to a friend's house after school, as usual, and I have been tasked with finding a white cardi from the ch shops for her - she even gave me permission to pick her up a little later than usual!!!!!!

So I shall scoot off asap at the end of the day. And take no work home with me.

Best get ready for y7s and être... Fun!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback