My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's Ryder Carroll, and the book is called The Bullet Journal Method. I got a bit side-tracked reading an article that it links to about how writing by hand activates more bits of brain than typing, and at this rate it may take weeks to finish, but so far I'm finding it interesting. It's £2.99 on Kindle or £8.99 elsewhere. There's a decent-sized sample available for free through Am@zon to give you an idea.

Love the chicken stories!

Thanks Cherry I will have a look at that:)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I found the minimalists two years ago on fbook. I loved them and they helped me with my decision to declutter. However I found them a little too determined and I have moved away and now use a couple of fbook groups and other people who live a minimalist lifestyle with kids which is more me. Also I have a hoarder for a husband which is incredibly annoying. Although just before Xmas he went through the three bin bags of cables and pared it down to one normal size carrier bag :eek: amazing breakthrough :rotfl:

Good luck with your endeavours, it's an ongoing process. I tried to minimise to six plates, bowls etc. We needed way more glades, knives and side plates than that I discovered :rotfl: but overall there is much less in the house than their was two years ago and I am much more aware of what new things I am bringing in these days too.

I am decluttering to 6 of everything mainly because me and DD have a habit of using every piece of cutlery I own instead of washing up more often,I think this will make us more mindful of what we use,so instead of just throwing the teaspoon in the sink and then getting another one out next time we will use the same one and just rinse it under the tap each time we make a hot drink
    I came to the number 6 because that is usually the maximum amount of people that would be in my house at any one time,mostly it's just 2 of us or 5 if my DD,SIL and DGS come to visit

I don't have a partner so I don't have to worry about anyone else's junk just my own:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    I love how your minimising. I wish I could do that with daughter's toys, but she doesn't have any of it and gets everything back out of the bag because she desperately needs it. x
    The answer is to do it when she isn't around,I used to bag up my girls toys that hadn't been used for a while and put them out of the way in a spare room or the loft for a month and if they hadn't noticed that any of the things were missing I would take them to the charity shop while they were at school so they were non the wiser:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Interesting about writing by hand, activating different parts of the brain. I have often thought that as we type more on the computer and text etc, our ability to write is decreasing. I wrote a letter to my mum the other day ( she is in a care home) and was amazed at how messy my writing seems to have become and how hard I actually found it...missing letters etc. Think I should maybe start writing a journal or something

I actually write quite a lot, we are constantly writing at work so that keeps my hand in and I will be writing in my journal as soon as I figure out what I want to write :o
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Got up early today and went to meet friends for our colleagues leaving breakfast,it was really nice but boy did I eat too much,I had a stack of pancakes with maple syrup and fruit and there was so much I haven't eaten anything else yet today:eek:

I then had a wander round the shops and popped into Debenhams to see if there was anything I could spend the rest of my voucher on,I saw a few things and tried in two tops but they didn't grab me,I've decided wait until I've sorted out my clothes for the charity shop and then I can see what is missing or needs replacing

I then came home chilled out for a bit and did some reading,then me and DD tackled the bedding in the airing cupboard and the towels, so I have three bags of sheets, duvet covers,throws and towels that I no longer use to go to the charity shop and my airing cupboard is super organised,I can actually see what I've got and can take things out with out it all falling out on top of me, I also sorted out my underwear drawer because it was a mess,so I've got rid of all my worn out socks and some undies I have never worn because they are uncomfortable or scruffy,they re going to the clothes bank bin for recycling

I'm now having a sit down prior to taking the dog out ,I'm not sure what I'm doing tonight,possibly just reading :)
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    The answer is to do it when she isn't around,I used to bag up my girls toys that hadn't been used for a while and put them out of the way in a spare room or the loft for a month and if they hadn't noticed that any of the things were missing I would take them to the charity shop while they were at school so they were non the wiser:rotfl:

Perfect. She's with my ex all weekend next weekend so I will go right through them x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting about handwriting using different parts of the brain. I love writing by hand, especially letters. I don't write as many as I used to, but I still love writing them & using pretty paper or a nice card - though I often use recycled envelopes. I've also written about a quarter of a novel & even that is all written longhand in a big notebook. I'll use the laptop for the 2nd draft, but I even seem to think better with pen & paper!
    Lots of clearing out going on here too. What is it about husbands & cable collections? Have offered mine a storage box for his......knowing he'll only fit in about half of his stash & hoping this means he will chuck the rest out!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Interesting about handwriting using different parts of the brain. I love writing by hand, especially letters. I don't write as many as I used to, but I still love writing them & using pretty paper or a nice card - though I often use recycled envelopes. I've also written about a quarter of a novel & even that is all written longhand in a big notebook. I'll use the laptop for the 2nd draft, but I even seem to think better with pen & paper!
    Lots of clearing out going on here too. What is it about husbands & cable collections? Have offered mine a storage box for his......knowing he'll only fit in about half of his stash & hoping this means he will chuck the rest out!

I am guilty of having lots of spare cables in drawers around my house,I'm frightened to throw them away in case the appliance they belong to then turns up,I am going to get them all out though and get rid because all my appliances have their cables attached to them already :rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today has been a productive day although I did manage to lie in until 10am:eek: I didn't sleep well last night so that didn't help

Me and DD took the dog for a good longish walk around the fields behind our house,then when I got back I went straight out again to take the three bags of stuff from the airing cupboard to the charity shop,none of my local ones are open on a Sunday but the ones in town are so I got the bus into town and took them there,it feels good to get them straight out of the house
    I needed to buy some dog food so did that wile I was in town, The it was home for some lunch and then I had to do the chickens
    I also cooked a casserole for the next three days,it would have been four but DD is having some tomorrow when she gets home from uni
    I also managed to dust the living room and hoover the house and DD did all the ironing :j:j:j

We sat down and watched several episodes of the Marie Kondo programme Tidying Up which was quite interesting
    I'm now going to read in bed for a bit and hope I start to feel sleepy soon
    I have work in the morning so need to be up at 5.30 am :(
    I'm going to be decluttering more stuff this week s also occurred to me that minimising my belongings will also help me save money because I won't be buying any unnecessary items ,it will be interesting to see how it affects my budget,I was going to have another wander round the shops today but I just don't want to buy anything which is good,I know I have some of my voucher left from work but I'm going to hang onto it for a bit until I see something I really like
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I couldn't go the full minimalist route, OBL, but I do think William Morris was onto something when he said 'Have nothing in your homes which you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful', or words to that effect. I think I've reached a point where I don't really have very much around now that I don't actually like. Sometimes, especially for ex-spenders like myself, it's a case of simply outgrowing all the tons of stuff bought back in the Spendy Years. And no longer being suckered in by those pesky sale rails helps, too.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback