Should I use Lifetime ISA to save for my young child long term?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Argh this is so frustrating. Yes the OP if UK resident can open a S&S LISA if under 40 regardless of if they already own property and contribute until 50 then withdraw at 60 and gift the money (inc accumulated bonuses) to be spent on anything the 20 something wants.
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Argh this is so frustrating. Yes the OP if UK resident can open a S&S LISA if under 40 regardless of if they already own property and contribute until 50 then withdraw at 60 and gift the money (inc accumulated bonuses) to be spent on anything the 20 something wants.

Sorry, didn't realize that about the LSA.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments apart from the savings police Tarambor lol. Thanks for alerting me to the S&S Lisa Alexland I hadn’t thought to look at those only the cash Lisa. If saving in my name and gifting to my son later on means we make a significant amount more in interest and bonuses then I’m not about to look a gift horse in the mouth, I’m his mum and clearly not going to rob him of what is meant for him, it’s me choosing to save for him in the first place!
  • Alexland
    edited 12 January 2019 at 7:24PM
    Sorry, didn't realize that about the LSA.

You were correct about the HTB ISA which you cannot open or hold if you have owned property.

The LISA is a dual purpose product to both help people to save for their first property purchase or invest for retirement. Some of us parents in our late 30s have noticed that it also works quite well for future child gifts.

Of course it is not suitable for money that has already been gifted as that would already be the child's money and the parent should not stop them getting access without penalty at 18.

Alex
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,342 Forumite
    Why not put a bit in both, so your son has something of his own at 18, with the rest to follow when you see fit.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Alexland
    edited 12 January 2019 at 7:55PM
    Thanks for alerting me to the S&S Lisa Alexland I hadn’t thought to look at those only the cash Lisa.

My view is the most attractive S&S LISAs are provided by Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell YouInvest and the choice depends on the pattern and amount you intend to contribute. AJB has a lower percentage fee but charge £1.50 per fund trade which are free on HL.

Then for fund investments consider the Vanguard LifeStrategy or Blackrock Consensus (discounted on HL) series. These are available for different risk profiles. Alternatively consider the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 fund which will automatically reduce volatility as the target withdrawal date approaches so it is less of a problem if stockmarkets crash just before you intend to withdraw.

Your money will go up and down which might take some getting used to and beware the temptation to sell when you see it going down. Often when its really looking down that's a good time to put more in!

Alex
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for alerting me to the S&S Lisa Alexland I hadn’t thought to look at those only the cash Lisa.

Personally I'd be inclined to indulge in market-timing. That is, while market values look excessively high (at least in the US) I'd use a Cash LISA. When I feel they are better value I'd transfer to an S&S LISA. The challenge is that you will have to screw up your courage and do the transfer at some point.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Personally I'd be inclined to indulge in market-timing. That is, while market values look excessively high (at least in the US) I'd use a Cash LISA. When I feel they are better value I'd transfer to an S&S LISA. The challenge is that you will have to screw up your courage and do the transfer at some point.

I’m not sure somebody who has just learnt about the existence of S&S LISAs should be tempted to consider playing the market.

Judging whether a market is overvalued is probably best reserved to those with a bit more experience, and I am under the impression that the OP is new to investing.
  • Alexland
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I’m not sure somebody who has just learnt about the existence of S&S LISAs should be tempted to consider playing the market.

Yup although markets are always volatile the probability of any of those broad diversified S&S funds mentioned above under-performing a Cash LISA at the end of 20+ years is low.

Alex.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Absolutely; if you weren't using your LISA subscription yourself and you're happy to reduce your overall ISA subscription ability by £4k (max) per year, that could be a simple and effective way to get a good return on money for future gifting.
    : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport