Eon nightmare

Hi everyone just looking for some advice so will start from the beginning,

Moved into my new house November 2017 which had Ovo energy smart pre payment meters (liberty meters) installed as the guy I bought it from rented it out to tenants.

So I called up eon and signed up and whilst doing so told them the exact meters that where in and the advisor stressed it wasn’t a problem and I didn’t require any new meters from them installing, however I was unable to give a reading from the electricity meter as it wasn’t working And the advisor didn’t seem concerned at all.

Anyway fast forward to Christmas Eve 2017 and my gas suddenly cut off. I called up and they sent out an engineer to install a temporary pre payment meter so I could get my supply back on. Then in February 2018 they reinstalled me into a credit meter for the gas, again I asked about the electricity meter and was told it’s not a problem and I wouldn’t be cut off. I bumped my DD up to £90 per month as I had it set at £55ish and the advisor told me it was below the national average for a 3 bed mid terrace house.

So in August I missed my DD payment due to a payroll error at work, resolved that and called up to pay the £90 payment and I asked about the account and was told I was actually in credit.

In October 2018 I recieved a bill for circa £800 so rang up and queried it and provided readings etc but obviously couldn’t provide electricity as like I had told them I couldn’t retrieve a reading. I insisted that this was completely wrong as we had just had one of the hottest summers on record and I barely used central heating and me and my partner both work shifts so weren’t always in the house. The advisor and I made a plan to get both meters swapped out for new as it just didn’t add up and we would do a weeks usage and could see what was going on and how much I should be using per week.

After repeated calls of well over 7-8 hours of speaking with different advisors who tried to fob me off I got them
to send out an engineer in December to do this. I hadn’t been paying since the huge bill came as obviously I wanted to resolve the issue and not pay off unjustified ‘debt’ to them.

the engineer attended and had no idea what he was doing so had to call back up and query again as he was going to just do the electricity meter. The advisor spoke with him and got him to do both there and then.

After a week I called back up and spoke to her another clueless advisor who couldn’t even understand what I was explaining to him about the situation so hung up and called back. Me and the new advisor worked out that in the week since both new meters had been fitted I had used a grand total £15 gas and £8 electricity, was a a very cold week so had actually used the heating a lot more as well. Going off that I Should of been using £92 per month, obviously that not taking into account the hot summer months where I didn’t even use gas central heating. He arranged a call back which never happened and THEN I received a bill for £800 electricity and £900 gas the following week:mad:

I rang up AGAIN and was obviously irate. Was told the engineer who swapped out the electricity meter had provided a meter reading to which I insisted it was bull crap as me and various eon advisors had tried and failed to get a reading. Explained about my weeks usage since the new meters and he admitted it didn’t seem right at all and referred it to faulty meter team. I then recieved an email saying my complaint had been resolved, I couldn’t believe it so sent an email in going through everything start to finish because I am was sick of ringing up.

Since then I haven’t heard a peep apart from one email from them with links to citizens advice saying ‘know your rigjts’ So obviously they are doing something.

I haven’t called up or emailed as my fianc! was due to give birth so had bigger fish to fry but now the baby is here I just need this resolving ASAP and don’t know my options or what to do if they insist I owe over £1700 on top of the monthly £90 DD I had been paying. It just does not add up. Only lived here just over a year.

Anyone with similar problems able to offer me any advice?

Could I swap providers in the mean time into my partners name just so I’m not accruing debt to eon while this is being sorted?

I have completely lost faith in eon so will not be using them ever again but just want to sort this soon as.

I’m planning on ringing up after I get some replies cos I am out of ideas?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

Don't both ringing - you've already found out that gets nowhere.

WRITE a letter headed COMPLAINT with all the detail you can find.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone just looking for some advice so will start from the beginning,

Moved into my new house November 2017 which had Ovo energy smart pre payment meters (liberty meters) installed as the guy I bought it from rented it out to tenants.

So I called up eon and signed up and whilst doing so told them the exact meters that where in and the advisor stressed it wasn’t a problem and I didn’t require any new meters from them installing, however I was unable to give a reading from the electricity meter as it wasn’t working And the advisor didn’t seem concerned at all.

Anyway fast forward to Christmas Eve 2017 and my gas suddenly cut off. I called up and they sent out an engineer to install a temporary pre payment meter so I could get my supply back on. Then in February 2018 they reinstalled me into a credit meter for the gas, again I asked about the electricity meter and was told it’s not a problem and I wouldn’t be cut off. I bumped my DD up to £90 per month as I had it set at £55ish and the advisor told me it was below the national average for a 3 bed mid terrace house.

So in August I missed my DD payment due to a payroll error at work, resolved that and called up to pay the £90 payment and I asked about the account and was told I was actually in credit.

In October 2018 I recieved a bill for circa £800 so rang up and queried it and provided readings etc but obviously couldn’t provide electricity as like I had told them I couldn’t retrieve a reading. I insisted that this was completely wrong as we had just had one of the hottest summers on record and I barely used central heating and me and my partner both work shifts so weren’t always in the house. The advisor and I made a plan to get both meters swapped out for new as it just didn’t add up and we would do a weeks usage and could see what was going on and how much I should be using per week.

After repeated calls of well over 7-8 hours of speaking with different advisors who tried to fob me off I got them
    to send out an engineer in December to do this. I hadn’t been paying since the huge bill came as obviously I wanted to resolve the issue and not pay off unjustified ‘debt’ to them.

the engineer attended and had no idea what he was doing so had to call back up and query again as he was going to just do the electricity meter. The advisor spoke with him and got him to do both there and then.

After a week I called back up and spoke to her another clueless advisor who couldn’t even understand what I was explaining to him about the situation so hung up and called back. Me and the new advisor worked out that in the week since both new meters had been fitted I had used a grand total £15 gas and £8 electricity, was a a very cold week so had actually used the heating a lot more as well. Going off that I Should of been using £92 per month, obviously that not taking into account the hot summer months where I didn’t even use gas central heating. He arranged a call back which never happened and THEN I received a bill for £800 electricity and £900 gas the following week:mad:

I rang up AGAIN and was obviously irate. Was told the engineer who swapped out the electricity meter had provided a meter reading to which I insisted it was bull crap as me and various eon advisors had tried and failed to get a reading. Explained about my weeks usage since the new meters and he admitted it didn’t seem right at all and referred it to faulty meter team. I then recieved an email saying my complaint had been resolved, I couldn’t believe it so sent an email in going through everything start to finish because I am was sick of ringing up.

Since then I haven’t heard a peep apart from one email from them with links to citizens advice saying ‘know your rigjts’ So obviously they are doing something.

I haven’t called up or emailed as my fianc! was due to give birth so had bigger fish to fry but now the baby is here I just need this resolving ASAP and don’t know my options or what to do if they insist I owe over £1700 on top of the monthly £90 DD I had been paying. It just does not add up. Only lived here just over a year.

Anyone with similar problems able to offer me any advice?

Could I swap providers in the mean time into my partners name just so I’m not accruing debt to eon while this is being sorted?

I have completely lost faith in eon so will not be using them ever again but just want to sort this soon as.

Hello Geronimo2019 and welcome to the Forums.

This sounds really messy and I'm sorry your complaint was closed without being sorted to your satisfaction. This needs escalating to the next level. The original complaint needs re-opening and then sent to our Review team. They'll go through everything that's happened previously including looking at why the complaint was closed without being resolved.

Our Reviewers will look at the issues you've had with the meters and billing and offer a resolution. If this isn't to your satisfaction, we'll send you a letter outlining our position and let you know how to refer this to the Energy Ombudsman for an independent assessment. The Ombudsman's decision is binding on us but not on you. If you accept their verdict, we must implement their instructions in full within 28 days of the decision being made.

There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website. If you wish, you can contact us through our website by either email or our Live Chat service.

Sorry again your complaint wasn't handled as it should've been Geronimo2019 and hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Well this is the email I replied to them on the 15-12-2018 and haven’t recieved an email response apart from a kind of threatening one entitled ‘know your rights’ as if I’m going to be prosecuted or perused? If they can’t reply to this then what hope will I have Malcolm? Can you offer anything else than droning in and telling me to check the website because clearly all avenues I have went down are on the website. Anyway here is the email below—-

Hello,

Apologies for the delay getting back in touch regarding my ridiculous billing I have received from yourselves but I have been unwell the last 10 days and have a heavily pregnant fianc! to contend with.

I can confirm that you have very much NOT resolved my complaint at all.

I have explained this at least 6 times to different people within your customer service/complaints team and literally getting no further forward on the telephone.

I moved into the property last year and switched my supply to yourselves about 10th December 2017. Whilst sorting it out on the phone I explained what meters where already in the property (from Ovo Energy) when I moved in and was advised this wouldn’t be a problem even though I was unable to provide a meter reading from the electricity meter (had numerous people/engineers check it and said it was not working properly). Then my gas was abruptly cut off on Christmas Eve (if I recall correctly) so you sent out an engineer to fit a top up meter and replace the already installed meter until the time came you could get me a proper credit meter installed.

Anyway I carried on with the top up card until you fitted a new credit meter a little time after (can’t remember the exact date)

After this I carried on with my payments till I missed one due to a payroll error from my work. I called up to pay my monthly payment and asked if my account was all okay and in credit etc to be informed from your advisor that I was actually in credit at that time.

I then recieved not long after a bill (3 month quarterly) for £900+ which was revised to £800ish after I called up. I expressed concerns about the actual meter and the electricity one (again) as I still couldn’t get a reading from it. This would mean in 3 months I had somehow used nearly 3/4 of the average households yearly usage.

The advisor said it didn’t seem right and we made a plan to get them swapped out for new and from that could monitor it over a week and see what was happening.

The ‘engineer’ attended and had no idea what was going on. I had to call up and seek advice and tell the bloke to swap both meters out there and then. Which he did. A week later I called back up with my readings and I had used a grand total of £23ish on the gas AND electric despite it being extremely cold so was using the heating a lot more than during the year gone by (warmest summer on record so barely used the gas apart from the hob occasionally for cooking) I also had a gas engineer check for leaks but came back negative.

I had one more phone call where the advisor informed me it was a correct bill as the eon meter changer provided some readings (impossible from the electricity meter as I and others including your advisors where unable to take a reading from it) but he had no idea about any of the previous issues and when I logically pointed out my usage during the weeks trial he was a bit stumped and said would be back in touch after speaking with faulty meter team.

This has dragged on far too long now. I have wasted hours of my time and had a stressed out pregnant partner the whole time this has happened.

I have recieved an annual usage bill from yourselves saying I have used £900ish electricity for the year and £840 on the gas. This is IMPOSSIBLE. Household average dual fuel is about £1100 for the year and that’s with a full house using gas and electric all day.

We are in a 3 bed mid terrace house with 2 people living here. We both work and aren’t in the property most of the day. We don’t have the heating on a timer (it’s off till we physically put it on, when we do it’s an hour or 2 tops) or leave any appliances on at all.

There is extensive building works happening around the property so wondering if this could have an impact in anyway? I’m not sure if it could but I’m trying to think how this could possibly happen?

There has been a lack of communication between everyone on your part as I have had to repeat myself over and over wasting my time, as you can guess this is extremely frustrating.

I have 100% not used what you are saying I have. There is clearly something else going on be it faulty meters or mistakes made on your behalf.

If I apply the weeks trial to the full year it’s about £1196 dual fuel for the full year and that’s not taking into consideration the less usage through out the warmer months (again hottest summer on record). You're saying I owe about £1800 on top of what I’ve been paying monthly? Come on use your common sense here.

So no in summary this has not been resolved.

Can you please provide me with every payment I have paid be it direct debit or over the phone since I have used eon as my energy provider please. Amount and date will suffice.

This needs sorting out ASAP by someone with half a brain who can sit and think logically about this. Can you please see to it that this happens. Before I have to get the watchdog involved and change suppliers.

Yours faithfully,

Scott
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Well this is the email I replied to them on the 15-12-2018 and haven’t recieved an email response .....

Anyway here is the email below—-

...........This needs sorting out ASAP by someone with half a brain who can sit and think logically about this. Can you please see to it that this happens. Before I have to get the watchdog involved and change suppliers.

Yours faithfully,

Scott
    Maybe send a shorter and less offensive message

When you complain don't expect a quick response after an unpleasant request like this!
  • Couldn’t be shorter as I needed to explain what I had already explained repeatedly at least 6 times.

Fair point but like I said I was at my wits end with a very heavily pregnant fianc! to deal with.

Was always polite and courteous over the phone but after they ‘closed’ my complaint without a resolution for the second time without speaking to me I was a bit narky

Anyway slightly rude or not they still have a duty to reply but haven’t come back to me, hence me posting the thread up
  • Hi I am with eon who have not
    Taken a readin for nearly 4 years and billed me 4400 how much of this am I liable for?
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tenttrev wrote: »
    hi i am with eon who have not
    taken a readin for nearly 4 years and billed me 4400 how much of this am i liable for?
    4400 .
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    send them readings ASAP TENTTREV !!!

have you not paid anything for all that time? Or ever sent them readings?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Tenttrev wrote: »
    Hi I am with eon who have not
    Taken a readin for nearly 4 years
    Have you given them a reading?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tenttrev wrote: »
    Hi I am with eon who have not
    Taken a readin for nearly 4 years and billed me 4400 how much of this am I liable for?

Hello Tenttrev and welcome to the Forums.

Already some excellent advice on here - thanks all. As above, please let us have meter readings and we'll be happy to re-bill accurately.

We're always keen to have actual meter readings and provide various ways for customers to send them. This includes online through our website, phone app or Live Chat service; by phone or text, email or letter. The more readings we have, the more accurate accounts will be.

Smart meters are available as well. These send us readings automatically so you don't have to. Smart meters are optional and you need to agree to have them. There's no charge to fit them and they'll help stop having to wait for an accurate bill for as long as you have.

Do you know why we haven't read the meter for so long? We usually try to read meters every 6 months, longer where customers send readings online. Is access limited?

If it's our fault we haven't sent an accurate bill for 4 years, this might come under the Billing Code. Here. where we're at fault, we won't charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem is fixed. Instances where it wouldn't apply include where energy has been used and the customer has made no attempt to contact us; have wilfully avoided payment; or hasn't co-operated with attempts to take readings including denying access.

Please talk to us. Once we've sorted out an accurate bill and checked the above, we'll be happy to look at setting up a payment plan to spread any remaining balance over a more manageable period.

Hope this points you in the right direction Tenttrev.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure