Changing for good!

Comments

• Morning MSE :)

I am very much looking to the New Year, and to get my butt into proper gear with making this debt disappear. I know it's possible to start anytime but there's something about having a new mentality with a new year, that makes you feel extra motivated I think.

It's not long now until we go on holiday, but we won't need much spending money as we are staying with my parents and OH only wants to do a few tourist things, and I have already done most of them.

My debt total is floating around the £5k mark again, I will post a breakdown in the new year but a few debts are going to be cleared in the next few months so those will be little wins quite early on which is going to keep me motivated.

My budget only balances for the essentials this month, but as long as the essentials are covered then that's all that counts. It will be a case of throwing everything that I've got at the debts and finding new ways to make extra money. I have thought about taking on an extra job but with my weekday hours being 8-6 I can't seem to find anything where I could pick up a couple of hours once or twice a week. I'd quite happily clean but nothing local seems to fit those hours!

I want to decide on a career path at some point in the new year too, I've kind of just floated for the past few years with no real sense of direction, and my current job has zero chance of progression, so that's something to think on next year. I just don't have a clue what I would like to do, or even what I am good at!

This working week feels short with the day off Tuesday and shorter shift yesterday, so the weekend will be here before I know it :)
  • I can't believe it's the last day of 2018!

I am ready to go into the new year with resolutions I plan to stick to (doesn't everyone?! :rotfl: ) and the goals I would like to achieve in January (I will give myself a few things each month to try and get done through the year so I can look back and see all the things that I did)

Although I haven't had a lot of time off for Christmas and New Year, I am enjoying the traffic-free roads at the moment, it will be a reality check once everyone is back commuting as well!

Hope everyone has a wonderful final day of 2018, and best wishes for the New Year xxx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,835
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Wishing you a happy & healthy 2019 filled with good fortune :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Wishing you a happy & healthy 2019 filled with good fortune :)

Same to you beanielou :) x
  • Happy New Year MSE!

2019 is finally here, and I am armed with 13 resolutions :rotfl:

1- Pay £5k debt
    2- Save some money every month, even if it's only £10 (I have a sealed pot for now)
    3- Get back running
    4- Try more new things/experiences
    5- Work on building my self-confidence
    6- Work on ways of keeping calm/managing my temper
    7- Start a new study course
    8- Take more photos
    9- Achieve something every month, no matter how small
    10- Spend more time with family
    11- Try some new recipes each month
    12 - Start a gratitude diary
    13- Generally work on having a more positive mental attitude!

I don't think any of them are overly unrealistic, I will also set myself goals that I would like to achieve each month. For example:

January Goals!

- Try meditation (ties in with resolution 6)
    - Try Yoga (this will be from YouTube videos :rotfl: )
    - Try 2 new recipes (we have so many cookbooks at home)
    - Take glasses to opticians (they recommended I could actually wear larger children's glasses as most adult ones sit too wide on my face, they look better but the cushions squish my nose after about an hour so will see if there's anything they can adjust)
    - Overpay a credit card

They are all goals that are easy to achieve individually, but help to tie into larger resolutions and achieve some things every month :)
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    Happy new goals :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Happy Friday!!

OH and I went out for dinner last night, the intention was to go to the pub and watch the football and the pub said online that it served food, and had a menu outside, but said when we got there that they didn't do food. Very odd. We ended up going to a restaurant and he paid for a pass on my NOW TV account to watch it discreetly whilst we had dinner :rotfl:

I've been invited to take part in a survey thing for a week that results in £30 amazon vouchers and £5 credited to my survey account too, which will nearly put me where I need to be to cash out :)

I am going to see the sports injury guy again this weekend, we did a trial run in December and my foot is now just as bad as it has ever been and icing and heating it doesn't seem to work, I'm going to say to him I don't know how much more money I can pour into appointments to still have a foot that doesn't work - I don't want it to come across as rude but it'll be over £150 I think by Saturday, and I'm no further along at the end of it. I want to be able to do parkrun in Australia when I go next month, I'll hobble round if I have to, but I'd like to do it and be able to enjoy it

4 weeks tomorrow til OH and I fly out to stay with my mum and stepdad in Oz, I really can't wait! Two weeks of relaxing! I imagine there will be hassle here and there from OH's ex regarding the kids but hopefully she'll acknowledge he needs a break too, and she has had about five trips abroad this year without them. We will take them next time we go away as we have already discussed :D it just would have been a bit much taking them all the way out there, they are quite argumentative children and it wouldn't be fair to impose all that on my parents on OH's first time out to see them :o

Not much else planned for this weekend, I have a mountain of washing to tackle and some ironing to do, but other than that I just plan to mostly relax :D
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    Wow, not too long to go now :)

• So, my foot appointment resulted in him using an ultrasound machine which showed that I almost certainly have a stress fracture in my toes, which is what I suspected it to be from using Dr Google when I first got the pain just over a year ago. It's then not healed as everyone has been treating it as tendon damage and trying to get me to load weight onto my toes gradually, so it's not had a chance to heal.

This means I need to be off of my foot as much as possible, and heat it as much as I can everyday. I can work around this at work and do less walking there than I have been doing, so fingers crossed it heals quickly.

Not much else to report, all the direct debits have gone out for the month now, so just waiting until I can scrape together any money for over payments :)

No housework to do when I get in tonight which is always a bonus ( I got it all done at the weekend ) so I am looking forward to an evening of mini-pampering for myself :o
  • So glad you finally know what’s been causing the issue. Hopefully it can be treated properly now.
    August 2019 - Debt £8000
    June 2020 - Debt £190.96
    Saving Pots: House Fund: £2015.21 Holiday Pot: £327.31 Rainy Day Fund: £964.84 Sod it/Treat Fund: £12.06
    Stocks and Shares ISA: £189.65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport