The Great 'Working for Yourself' Hunt

Comments

• Epiphone wrote: »
    There is if you take a salary!

You can take up to £5,225 out of your company as salary each year with the remainder classed as dividends and there will be no National Insurance.

From the 2008/09 tax year this rises to £5,435 of salary per annum.
  • Lu_T
    Lu_T Posts: 906 Forumite
    I put away 30% of everything I earn when it comes in. This has covered all of my tax & NI bills comfortably so far. Make this money work hard for you by using your (and your OHs!) ISA allowances. If you can time it right a regular saver to pay out just before your tax bill is due would also make the money work hard.

Save receipts for everything. You never know when the tax man may want to see them.

Be fair about what you claim and be prepared to explain why you claim it. I claim 3/7 of my electricity, gas and water bills as I work from home 3 days a week. I also claim for part of my mobile and broadband costs plus a nominal amount to cover home insurance. However, I don't take the p1ss as I'd rather be reasonable and pay a bit more tax up front than get investigated and end up paying it anyway, plus interest.

Get yourself some good advice, especially on tax issues. And do speak to HMRC. Their guide to working for yourself is quite straightforward.
    MSE Parent Club Member #1
    Yummy slummy mummy club member
    50% slummy, 50% mummy, 100% proud
    Imogen born Boxing Day 2006
    Alex born 13 July 2009
  • Hi, After many years in seniour management I became self employed in 1984! Yes - I still do a many hours week. The keys to self employment are:
    Learn to SELL (things and yourself).
    Work whenever you have to. 24/7.
    Weekends/breaks can be any time of the week.
    Spend 40% of your time on administration and contacting prospects and clients.
    NEVER stop thinking of EARNING.
    Be available.
    Price fairly and do the best job you can and your customers will became your sales team.
    Do not give credit unless you have to. It's a bad habit.
    The customer is always right until he doesn't pay you, then he's no longer a customer. Take debt recovery action IMMEDIATELY.
    Set up simple bookkeeping and DIY.
    Never have bad days. Only have good days, better days and real crackers of days.
    People used to tell me that I had to have a positive mental attitude but no one told me how to get it. I had to work it out for myself. What you do is simple. Do the reverse! Eliminate negatives. Say after me "If it's to be it's up to me. I am responsible!"
    Good luck. It's worth it.
  • I have been self-employed for nearly 15 years (yikes!!) and I must agree with daddygez that you should always put away some money (preferably in a separate account) to save up for your tax bill!

When the bill comes you'll be so glad you did and if the bill is lower than expected you get some 'leftovers' to use for something else instead!

My other big tip is to seriously consider registering for VAT - the paperwork is not really as bad as it seems and if you spend alot setting up and in regular expenses such as petrol - then getting the VAT back each quarter can be really helpful!

I put away the VAT each week (in my 'VAT' account) so that I have it ready to pay with the VAT return. If I am due for some VAT back then the money I've put away will go towards this and I have to wait less time for the Taxman to pay out :-)
    TescoMum :-)

Always Ask Yourself...Do I Really Need It?

If Not then Sell It!

Even Better - Don't buy it in the First Place :-)
  • If you don't want to use a home address (and in these days of identity theft it might be a good idea not to have too much personal information floating around on advertising material), a PO Box number gives some protection and also looks a bit more 'professional'. Full info at:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=600006&catId=5200019
  • Annoying as it might be, you need to have formal (or semi-formal!) meetings from time to time, particularly if you are a limited company, and keep notes ('minutes') of these meetings. Really good book for beginners (and it has the merit of being short!) with great Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Pension-Trustee-Other-Meetings/dp/1906221642/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202063626&sr=8-1
  • If you quit, you are considered to became unemployed by choice and hence no unemployment (called Job seeker allowance now).

Also, for those who operate through Ltd company or partnership where part of the profit is shared with a members of family, the income shifting legislation is gonna make your life incredibly complicated

Get your MP to sign the Early Day motion and stop the legislation from getting through
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=34871&SESSION=891
    http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=179199

Another tips... if you operate through Ltd company, you can get company to pay for coffee, tea and light fresements as long as it is consumed in the office premise (if you work from home, then home = work permise) and also a chrismas/new year/easter dine out with all the employees of the Ltd company (sometimes that would be you and the better half).

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.l1=1073858808&r.l3=1073867902&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073790582&r.l2=1073859224&r.s=sc
    Hi out there to all MSE budding entrepaneurs,
    im looking to jack my day job in at the end of march to start up on my own painting & decorating.What i need to know,is it possible for me to claim housing benefits & uneployment benefits for a short while,whilst i try to get established & get a run of work in.I really need to know this,as i have no cash to fall back on as i live week to week on my wages,& also i have a very very bad credit rating,plus three children & a wife to support.
    All replies will be very gratefully received.
  • I think, having been self-employed for seven years, that anyone going into business for themselves should have to do a small business course first, but since they don't exist, then it's probably going to be DIY.

- For me, the most important thing to have before thinking about starting a business is a break-even spread-sheet. In this, you put all your costs (rent, insurance, equipment, utilities, your salary - everything) and you work out, over perhaps 50 weeks of the year, how much you have to bring in to pay for this, including tax. Then you add in how you are going to create this income and the costs (COGS - costs of goods & services) associated with this, so for me as a photographer, I put in x number of weddings, x number of portraits, x commercial jobs and the average sales I expect in each. Divide by 50 (weeks) and it will tell you how much income/turnover you need every week to pay the bills & yourself a salary. It's a bit like doing Martin's budget, but also working out the income side of things as well.

The great thing about this spreadsheet is that it will help with your costings. If you're quoting on a job that will take you three days to complete, then it needs to be bringing in a sale of three-fifths of your weekly break-even target, or you are losing money. (If you're consciously making a decision to give a foot-in-the-door deal to a potential big client, that's fine, but just be aware of what you're doing and how difficult it may be to return to your usual pricing).

(PS If you think you're a 'creative' & don't 'do' spreadsheets, then guess again. Spreadsheets are some of the most creative playgrounds you can ever have - tweaking your cashflow, finding out what happens if you raise your prices by 3% or 10%, how can you reduce your COGS - it's brilliant fun).

- After this, having a marketing plan. Who are your target customers? (It's never 'everyone'). And start out trying to spend nothing on advertising/promotion & see how far you can get - it makes for creative thoughts. The guerrilla marketing books are a good start. Also Michael Port's 'Book Yourself Solid' for service business is a really helpful, nuts & bolts read. And never underestimate branding - who you are & the way your business operates - it's key to selling yourself. Another book - The Personal Branding Phenenomenon by Peter Montoya is brilliant at helping you work out what is special about 'you' (& therefore your business). Get inside your clients' heads & keep asking yourself what their needs & aspirations are; what new products could you create & sell them. Also, every time you have an interaction with a business, what is it like & how could it be improved? (For example, think about all the differences between being a customer in, say, Liberty's and Lidl). Where are you going to be on that continuum?

It also needs to adapt - if you're selling nuts, bolts & widgets and suddenly the bottom drops out of widgets, you need to work much harder with the nuts & bolts, possibly companion selling washers, offering a customisation service, selling additional items that will appeal to your existing customers, forging new markets, finding new avenues of selling etc.

- Businesslink has lots of courses (free in London) and is a great starting resource for setting up in business and the British Library has a great business section where you can also research sectors/industries.
  • 1/before you start thoroughly research the market you are interested in.
    2/test the water first before you dive in if you can
    3/do not initially invest or borrow more money than you can afford to lose.Later on you can borrow based on your success to help grow the business.
    4/determine where your strengths lie and if needed get some extra training or employ someone to do the bits you cant or dont want to
    5/keep an eye on market developments,i.e. new products or innovations which relate to your business.
    6/know who your competition is and keep an eye on them.
    7/be prepared to work very long hours,remember theres no clocking off.
    8/try not to become a workaholic,you have only yourself to blame now for missing the school play so organise your calendar.
    9/be flexible,learn to bend with the wind or snap!!!
    10/enjoy it!!!

oh and one more

11/customer service is key.I dont believe the customer is always right(where did that phrase come from anyway?)but if you handle any problems quickly and courteously you will reap dividends.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • My husband set up as self employed for almost 3 years. He had a lot of (free) help and advice from these people:

http://www.businesseye.org.uk/

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/

http://www.venturewales.com/

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/bst/index.htm

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/

Venture Wales had quite a lot of free courses available on accounting, keeping records, doing your tax returns etc. They also organised a course with Inland Revenue, who were very helpful and gave lots of advice on reducing the tax bill (legitimately!) Venture Wales give free help to anyone who has been registered unemployed (even if for a very short period) but even if you don't qualify, there is loads of information on their website.

Lots of the Inland Revenue courses were in the evening, so that you could get prepared without having to let your current employer know what you were up to!

Companies House allow you to search for other companies with the same / similar name, so you can check that you are not going to end up with the same name as another local campany - very important if other companies are unreliable / bankrupt etc. You can access the most important info online for free.

If you are unemployed and looking to set up as self employed, ask at the job centre - once they knew that my husband didn't intend to stay unemployed forever, they gave him lots of help without any pressure to get a job before his official 'start up' date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure