A few millimeters of water after rain.

Hi all,

Recently bought my first house with my partner. The weather has been wonderful and sunny, but we've had a couple of rainy days. We went into the cellar after said rain and noticed that there was a puddle of water, around 2 or 3 mm deep at the front of the cellar, which hadn't spread across the whole floor.

Having investigated it further, I can see that it is coming in from the left corner of the house (if looking at the house from the road), which is where our drain is.

Just wondering what the best course of action is in getting this looked at and/or remedied. It isn't necessarily a massive problem, and I accept that others have worse problems, but I'd like to sort it before we get into the really rainy seasons.

Cheers

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Impossible to give an answer, but first investigate the drain. Is it blocked? Does it need cleaning out? Does it need rodding? Where does it go to? Is there a manhole that it runs into?

Basiclly you are trying a process of elimination. You think it is the drain causing your problem, and you are trying to establish if this is the case.

If no isssues are found here then time for a re-think.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Furts wrote: »
    Impossible to give an answer, but first investigate the drain. Is it blocked? Does it need cleaning out? Does it need rodding? Where does it go to? Is there a manhole that it runs into?

Basiclly you are trying a process of elimination. You think it is the drain causing your problem, and you are trying to establish if this is the case.

If no isssues are found here then time for a re-think.

Blocked drain is almost certainly the right answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure