PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Comments

• jane130
    jane130 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what a great thread, I'm off on the 18th august with my mum , sister and 6 kids between us , at best we will have two gas rings between us . I need to talk to them about their eatting plans but i am now confident i can feed my fussy (no beans no tomatoes)gang with one ring .

thanks
    I am journeying to a debt-free life.
    Our estimated debt-free date is January 2040. I'm on a mission to bring that date closer!
    16/02/23 debts - £9556.38
    emergency fund - £00.00
    debt-free diary - Time to Face the music and deal with this debt once and for all
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi there! There's an existing thread on this subject here. It has loads of meal suggestions that are veggie, or can be adapted.

I'll add this thread later to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We've recently got a caravan, the first 2 nights we had something cooked at home then reheated. I took meals made from the freezer, one casserole and one spag bol (made with vege mince) from the freezer, popped them in the caravan fridge and reheated when we got there (it also helps the fridge cool down quicker) Sausages (again you could use veggie versions) waffles and beans were another main meal then we had frankfurter sausages and cooked chicken pieces (chilled, chicken was cooked at home before we went but you could use quorn etc versions) with peas, corn and noodles as a back up meal :o but was lazy and had a meal out so that made last nights tea when we got home. Most sites have a shop but they do tend to be a little more expensive, but for the likes of milk it's worth the extra few pence than taking loads with us. Breakfast my son has waffles, 59p for 12 I think they are in Aldi and Lidl toasted off in a dry frying pan. Lunches we mainly do sandwiches, packet soups and a roll are nice. A lot of people use disposable BBQs on sites aswell. It's probably easier doing all vege meals but I have a fusspot family who turn their noses up if there is no meat (or what they think is meat)

Personally I'd save on the space of the slow cooker and not bother with it. I'd considered taking mine at first but haven't needed it. We do have a small oven and grill in the caravan but I've only ever used it for garlic bread. Most things I usually grill I just fry in the pan without oil or use spray oil.

The Deep - meals there are very expensive, I don't remember there being a vege option for kids, I'd take foods/drinks with you.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Grated cheese makes anything edible:rotfl:

For a one pot breakfast, I do porridge - chop an apple or two into bits, place in pan and sprinkle with sugar (those sachets from coffee shops are good). Stew for a bit then add porridge oats and milk as normal. If you can bring ground cinnamon that's also good.

Our camping is usually motorcycle based so we have a one ring petrol stove. We've spent many evenings balancing two pans on top of each other so we can cook rice and stew at the same time!
  • We have struggled what to cook on caravan holidays for a number of years and bought our 1st George Foreman 2 weeks ago and took it on holiday with our ever hungry family of 5. We have our own caravan and figured it would be a good idea to use the George to cook on in the caravan and take full advantage of the electric hook up on site. HOW RIGHT WERE WE!!! Its amazing! simply plug it in and off you go, really tasty low fat meals in minutes, we used it for full cooked breakfasts (sausage, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms), lunchtime snacks and lazy evening barbecues (salmon, steak, sausage, burgers) in the awning while the rain poured outside! Saves having to cart around gas bottles to power the cooker in the caravan and cooks much nicer but best of all really easy to clean! WE LOVE IT!
  • We're not a seasoned camping family (yet!) so just wondered if anyone has any recipes and tips they'd like to share with fellow tent campers? Our next trip is one which involves no electrical hook up, so we'll be relying heavily on the gas cooker (2ring) for the four of us, and possibly the bbq *if* we have room to take it...and no means of refridgeration....
  • We camp loads, and barbeque when we can :j We find meat will last for a couple of days, and we tend to buy each day. Pasta meals (using cured meats, or a veggie sauce) are good too.

There's a long thread on camping cookery. I'll add this one and you can browse there.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Hi there everyone,

My OH and I are going on a medieval style camping trip thing this weekend, and I'm needing to take our own food. It has to be stuff that at least doesn't look out of place, and as the only cooking stuff we'll have is an open fire, preferably stuff I can make before I go and then just reheat, or doesn't even need warming through.

I was thinking I might make some bread rolls, and take some cheese or similar, but I was wondering if anyone had anything a bit more out-of-the-ordinary? Might be nice to surprise the fella with a nice treat or two, when it's 3 in the morning and he's freezing cold!

Many thank in advance,

Becky x
    Perpetual Lurker!

Savings fund: £0 but plans are afoot!

• lightisfading
    lightisfading Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my OH just went on the same sort of thing and they basically lived on stew/soup ;) easy to reheat. I imagine you could freeze it and it would stay okay for a day or two in this weather?

are you doing LRP or the more adult/realistic ren stuff? (my OH is a larper!)

Hi there everyone,

My OH and I are going on a medieval style camping trip thing this weekend, and I'm needing to take our own food. It has to be stuff that at least doesn't look out of place, and as the only cooking stuff we'll have is an open fire, preferably stuff I can make before I go and then just reheat, or doesn't even need warming through.

I was thinking I might make some bread rolls, and take some cheese or similar, but I was wondering if anyone had anything a bit more out-of-the-ordinary? Might be nice to surprise the fella with a nice treat or two, when it's 3 in the morning and he's freezing cold!

Many thank in advance,

Becky x
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey Becky. Sounds fun! You could have a peep here for ideas
    http://www.godecookery.com/begrec/begrec.htm
    The site doesn't claim authentic recipes, just that they are in keeping with the style so they might be more palatable to modern tastes too :D
    Love and compassion to all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport